Greatest Predator player ever

yave1964

Greatest Nashville Predator  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Nashville Predator ever?

• David Legwand
    • Shea Weber
    • Pekka Rinne
    • Tomas Vokoun

A short list to be sure, I left players such as Ryan Suter off because he was a direct contemporary of Weber and clearly his sidekick and his Pred career was short lived, Timmonen mi9Y1EmyE1gmP9SfEpA6YTA.jpgis 4th all time in points and deserves consideration but to me falls just short as well. Martin Erat, believe it or not is 2nd all time in points but to me was just a decent body who played there for a fair amount of time, nothing more. so here IMHO are the 4 candidates for all time Predator:

SHEA WEBER: The rugged blueliner is third all time in goals, points and penalty minutes in team history. 2 time first team all star, twice a second team all star and a total of four times he has finished in the top 4 in voting for the norris trophy, coming in second twice.

DAVIDmdjtJkGxTPmGAZCD14z9t7g.jpg lEGWAND: The Original Predator is first in games, goals, assists and points in team history, spending a total of 15 seasons wearing the sweater of the home team. Legwand who in reality was a very good number two center was forced to play on the top line due to lack of talent around him among the forwards quite often but was a fine two way center in his prime.

PEKKAmJPUgnj-r-i4QQjc_px2LDg.jpg RINNE: All time leader in wins for the Preds, Rinne has established himself as one of the top goalies in the game today, finishing in the top three for the Vezina three times in his past four seasons includingsecond twice. Has led the league in wins once and played 73 games in a season, a true iron man effort.

TOMAS VOKOUN: There were times when all that kept coach Barry Trotz from throwing in the towel was the wonderul play of Vokoun who is first in games and second in wins in team history. a 3 time top ten finalist for the Vezina, Vokoun carried the offensively challlenged Preds to the playoffs consistent winning 25 or more games 4 times.

That is it, such as it is. Happy voting!

WHO AM I? mxyYELB0JtHuDu173e4vGWw.jpgNot the Governor of a Mid West state, but a top ten goal scorer in Pred history.

I'm gonna go with Shea Weber, and I think it's pretty clear cut.

Might we have a guy who's not a presidential hopeful named Scott Walker?

We would indeed have Mr. Scott Walker who has as much chance of becoming the next president as the one who is from Wisconsin.......

Shea Weber is the best all-around dman in the game, and every aspect of his game is feared throughout the league. He is the best player in the NHL other than Jonathan Toews. No offense to Pekka Rinne, one of the very best goalies in the game, but Weber is unquestionably the Preds captain, leader and best player.

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old thread, it's always interesting to read opinions from fans around the league!

Personally I would rank David Legwand 1st, he embodied what it meant to be a Predator. Sacrificed his offensive game to become defensively responsible, great skater, a real professional guy. He repeatedly turned down a letter because he didn't want the spotlight, but make no mistake about it that he was firmly in the team leadership core for a long time. He was always the guy who took rookies under his wing, he always kept up with teammates statistics and would be the guy who went out and grabbed an important puck to present to a teammate on milestone goals, he led the team warm-up for the longest time and he played for the team through three distinct eras: the early expansion days where they had no chance of being competitive, the years where they turned the corner and became a playoff threat, and then the first real contending teams (with Arnott, Dumont, Kariya, Sullivan, etc.). As was already mentioned, he leads the franchise in every offensive category.

Next I think Pekka Rinne takes 2nd, he and Weber were the faces of the next evolution of the Predators. He will retire a Predator though and obviously hit that hot streak to lead the team to their first conference title.

Then Shea Weber in 3rd, he was well on his way to the #1 spot before being traded. Obviously his peak and his skill were above Legwand's level, but the longevity is a tad short and well, he doesn't have the team building factor that Legwand did. Had he retired as a Predator, he would easily end up as #1.

All three players are really neck and neck, and a good argument could be made for any of them to take the #1 spot. Maybe Forsberg is the next contender to move up this list, but who knows. If Johansen signs the rumored 8x8 extension that everyone believes is coming next summer, he's probably got a shot to be in the conversation as well. I'm not sure what Josi or someone like Subban would have to do to get there.

Since we are digging up old threads (not a bad thing mind  you), and we can look ahead as the Preds seem poised for another few good runs in the coming seasons, I will say Viktor Arvidsson.

Tellin ya, the parallels between he and Nikita Kucherov are uncanny...and I believe Kucherov will be a real good one for the duration of his career.

Arvidsson, even more so than Johansen and Forsberg, has a shot to be the Preds all time leading scorer when all is said n done.

Provided Nashville keeps him long term........otherwise, his talents may be showcased elsewhere and he may become someone ELSE's all time leading scorer.  :ahappy:

Like I said, opposing fans viewpoints are interesting, lol 

I don't think Arvidsson has a chance, I don't even think he scores 30/60 again next season. No doubt that he's a good player, but he's nowhere near the level of Kucherov, and keep in mind I was in Tampa and watched every single game of 14-15 when Kucherov and the Triplets broke out, which is what Arvidsson did last season. I think Arvy settles in as a 25/50-55 type player, and I don't think his play style will lead to any kind of decent longevity either. Having said that, for the next 4-5 years anyway he won't have any competition for the 1st line RW spot, so he's got a good chance to move up the franchise leaderboard anyway.

I loved Timonen, he was good enough to carry Mark Eaton on the first pairing and the team actually made the playoffs that year lol. I mean, we talk about how great the top-4 is right now, but don't forget there was a season there with Timonen, Hamhuis, Weber and Suter. We've seen an embarassment of defensive excellence with this franchise!

2 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

I loved Timonen, he was good enough to carry Mark Eaton on the first pairing and the team actually made the playoffs that year lol. I mean, we talk about how great the top-4 is right now, but don't forget there was a season there with Timonen, Hamhuis, Weber and Suter. We've seen an embarassment of defensive excellence with this franchise!

And was a 10th round pick!!!! By the Kings but who cares...

Archived