Greatest New York Ranger (post original six)

yave1964

Greatest Ranger player  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Greatest Ranger player 9post original six era)?

• Brian Leetch
    • Henrik Lundqvist
    • Mike Richter
    • Rod Gilbert
    • Mark Messier

A tough list, lots of talented players such as Bradm46rjTYVstwu979MGaUarGg.jpgPark did not quite make the list, Jean ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Adam Graves and Ron Greschner all on the outside looking in. Here is the list of all time Rangers players to choose the all time greatest Ranger from:

MARK MESSIER: He was NOT a one hit wonder in New York, he is actually top five all time in scoring in Ranger history. He won the Hart in 91-92, and anyone who believes the Rags would have won the cup in 1994 without him is dreaming.

BRIANm1quGYrrZ0Q4JDOCs-QZlCg.jpglEETCH: I admit to being a bit slow in giving Leetch the credit that he deserves as an all time great but he really was, second all time in Ranger history in both games and scoring and first by a mile in assists as well as a perenial Norris candidate on the back end winning it twice and finishing in the voting a staggering 15 times. He won a Smythe in 1994 and was the Calder as the leagues top rookie in 88-89.

MIKE RICHTER: mHXbkJPf1m9MUApcfl093RA.jpgFirst all time in games in net for the Rangers and second only trailing the King in victories, led the league in wins in 1994 and was a three time all star.

HENRIK LUNDQVIST: All time leader in victories for the Rangers as well as shutouts and still building on his legend, for a decade straight has finished in the top six in Vezina votes winning it once so far, has been a first and a second team all star and helped the Rangers to the Stanley Cup finals two years ago.

ROD GILBERT:  Somehow gilbert is fading from memory, a true great who is first in club history in both goals (406) and points (1021).  an 8 time all star Gilbert teamed with Vic Hadfield and Jean Rattelle to form the GAG line (goal a game) as one of the leagues more famous lines of all time.

There ya go. Happy voting.

WHO AM I? 391228241304_1.jpgFormer Golden gloves boxer who learned to skate just enough to become one of the most feared fighters in Hockey history. Worked out as a sparring partner to Renaldo Snipes and Larry Holmes. Why in the Hell anyone would want to fight him I just do not know.

I vote "Other": Brad Park

(of those listed I would pick Rod Gilbert)

Park, whew, I kept putting him on the list and then taking him off, his time in New York was relatively short (7 1/2 years) but he developed the rep as the second best d-man behind that guy in boston during that time. First team all star regularly paired with Orr.

After he was dealt to Boston, I always wondered what kind of numbers the Bruins would have put up with Orr and Park together. It would have been the best one two punch from the back end probably ever, but of course Orr was on his last leg (literally) at that time.

But Yeah I coulda woulda shoulda left Park on.

My vote is swayed in favor of Brian Leetch, two norris trophies in addition to a Smythe in which he was reminiscent of Orr in comparison to a Hart and a pearson. Furthermore, Leetch has an abundance of Norris nominations as Yave stated.  Whilst Messier has more hart nominations and one could hold claim that a Hart and Pearson are far more prestigious than 2 Norris trophies, there has always been an existing predilection towards forwards. Besides, Messier was merely a shell of his former self during a greater part of his career as a NYR.

So far, I would say Leetch, but if Lundqvist plays at this high a level for another 5 years (which I expect him to), I would vote for him. I won't vote for Messier simply because he was a rent-an-Oiler and was with the Oilers longer, and had more success there other than captaining the 1994 Cup team.

I don't think Adam should have surpassed some of the excellent players on this list...BUT the former Spitfire (captain for 2 years in Windsor) and Ranger was one of *the* most underrated player in NHL history. Only one really outstanding year pts wise....in 93-94 he amassed 52 goals and 78 pts in 80 games. Just a blood and guts warrior who left it all out on the ice every single time he played....one of the key Rangers for leadership depth....very, very hard worker.

It was funny when he played for Windsor, we used to call him the pit bull....when he went in the corner to get the puck, he would skate out with it 99 times out of a 100....AND it didn't matter how many opponents were there, they were left in a heaping pile, all victims for one of the strongest, bull in a china shop forwards to ever lace up the skates....LOVED the way Adam played....a true WARRIOR!!!  He also had 5 30+ goal seasons for the NYR.

• 4 weeks later...

I voted for Lundqvist mostly because he is the only player on the list that I have seen play. He is amazing in the nets and every year except one year in his career with the lockout "The King" notched at least 30 wins. I imagine Leetch, Richter, Gilbert and Messier were fantastic, but I was pretty young when 3 of them retired and to be honest I never even heard of Rod Gilbert.

I don't think Adam should have surpassed some of the excellent players on this list...BUT the former Spitfire (captain for 2 years in Windsor) and Ranger was one of *the* most underrated player in NHL history. Only one really outstanding year pts wise....in 93-94 he amassed 52 goals and 78 pts in 80 games. Just a blood and guts warrior who left it all out on the ice every single time he played....one of the key Rangers for leadership depth....very, very hard worker.

It was funny when he played for Windsor, we used to call him the pit bull....when he went in the corner to get the puck, he would skate out with it 99 times out of a 100....AND it didn't matter how many opponents were there, they were left in a heaping pile, all victims for one of the strongest, bull in a china shop forwards to ever lace up the skates....LOVED the way Adam played....a true WARRIOR!!!  He also had 5 30+ goal seasons for the NYR.

Graves has a well earned rep as one of the nicest men who ever played the game away from the rink, visiting hospitals, doing things for kids, but you are right, he absolutely was a nightmare fofor his opponents, he took  to the corner like a prostitute with a crack problem.

Archived