Blackhawks Trade Versteeg, Nordstrom to Carolina

Steeger-1.jpg

The Blackhawks today have agreed to trade wingers Kris Versteeg and Joakim Nordstrom to Carolina for two former sixth-round picks, defensemen Jake Massie and Dennis Robertson, and a fifth-round choice in 2017. This move frees up space for the Blackhawks to sign forward Marcus Kruger, which will leave the team with 13 forwards, six defensemen, and two goalies. It's likely that the Blackhawks could sign another defenseman for the season depending on how much cap space Kruger eats up. They currently have $2.4 mil in cap space.

For Carolina, the Hurricanes acquire a two-time Stanley Cup Champion in Versteeg who is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup. He will score a good amount of points, and could end up playing with either of the Staal brothers. Nordstrom adds some depth for the 'Canes, probably as a third or fourth line winger.

Steeger-1.jpg

The Blackhawks today have agreed to trade wingers Kris Versteeg and Joakim Nordstrom to Carolina for two former sixth-round picks, defensemen Jake Massie and Dennis Robertson, and a fifth-round choice in 2017. This move frees up space for the Blackhawks to sign forward Marcus Kruger, which will leave the team with 13 forwards, six defensemen, and two goalies. It's likely that the Blackhawks could sign another defenseman for the season depending on how much cap space Kruger eats up. They currently have $2.4 mil in cap space.

For Carolina, the Hurricanes acquire a two-time Stanley Cup Champion in Versteeg who is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup. He will score a good amount of points, and could end up playing with either of the Staal brothers. Nordstrom adds some depth for the 'Canes, probably as a third or fourth line winger.

The Hawks also gave up a third rounder. Really.

So in short they Hawks had to move down two rounds and give up a middling bottom six forward and take two non prospects back in exvhange for Versteeg. Simply an ugly deal, but it was about freeing the money up to keep Bickel. Still, a horrible deal.

The Hawks also gave up a third rounder. Really.

So in short they Hawks had to move down two rounds and give up a middling bottom six forward and take two non prospects back in exvhange for Versteeg. Simply an ugly deal, but it was about freeing the money up to keep Bickel. Still, a horrible deal.

Kruger you mean? I am pretty sure they want to get rid of Bickell lol

Kruger you mean? I am pretty sure they want to get rid of Bickell lol

Kruger. Your right, they might give up a second to get someone to take Bickel, lol. Still hard to believe they had to give Carolina a third to get them to take Versteeg off their hands.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

I'm not so sure Versteeg plays anywhere in the lineup.  At 32 Versteeg is on the downside of his career.  He hasn't scored more than 40 points in the last 3 seasons.  I do agree that he will add some depth as a 3rd line winger but Versteeg isn't going to help the Canes make the playoffs, imo.

I think the Blackhawks tried to make the best out of a tricky offseason. If you take away the Kane situation, which was not the team's fault, you still have a pretty good team. I think the Saad trade was good because they got a quality center and some good young guys. The Sharp trade was painful, but they are now deep on defense, and they got some more youth. The Versteeg trade was the trade to shed salary cap. It had to happen, and Versteeg was the easiest to move, and was enough salary to make a difference.

Keep in mind that the roster still looks pretty deadly:

65-19-81

29-Anisimov-88

Garbutt-86-Tikhonov

Desjardins-16-Morin

2-7

Daley-4

5-57

This is still a dangerous and good team. I expect them to still compete for a title.

Verstink is a bum. The only reason he got any pts last year was because he snuck on the top Hawks pp for a month or so...

They just signed Paille, a solid P/K guy and 4th liner. Of the two, i believe Paille is an upgrade for the Hawks

@yave1964

They signed Paille to a PTO. He is going to have a hard time making the team with all the salary cap issues. He would have to accept a deal for $900,000 or less, and the 'Hawks still need a 7th defenseman. Doubt he makes the team, unless there is another trade.

@yave1964

@jammer2

2 out of Versteeg's 14 goals were on the powerplay. How can you say that the only reason he got points was because he was on the powerplay at the end of the year? No one assumes this guy is going to break 40 points, but he is still a decent role player on the third or fourth line. He can step up and play in big moments (see 42 points in 84 playoff games). He is better, points wise that Daniel Paille. He has always been a streaky player, and at times he looks like he just wants to quit, but he is still a good decent in this league.

Don't be mad that the Flyers had terrible management and overpaid on several deals that couldn't live up to expectations. Versteeg, if he stays healthy, can be a 30-40 point guy in Carolina, where he is going to see more ice time than in Chicago.

all the salary cap issues.

Those two deals to Toews and Kane just look worse and worse as time goes by.

They'd look even worse if they had to actually have Hossa on the cap at the $7.9M he's making this year.

Won't surprise me at all if they buy him out after this season.

Don't be mad that the Flyers had terrible management and overpaid on several deals that couldn't live up to expectations. Versteeg, if he stays healthy, can be a 30-40 point guy in Carolina, where he is going to see more ice time than in Chicago.

yave is a Red Wings fan. Why would he be at all concerned about the Flyers?

Agreed that at $2.2M Versteeg can be an adequate 30 point player for the Canes.

@yave1964

@jammer2

2 out of Versteeg's 14 goals were on the powerplay. How can you say that the only reason he got points was because he was on the powerplay at the end of the year? No one assumes this guy is going to break 40 points, but he is still a decent role player on the third or fourth line. He can step up and play in big moments (see 42 points in 84 playoff games). He is better, points wise that Daniel Paille. He has always been a streaky player, and at times he looks like he just wants to quit, but he is still a good decent in this league.

First let me start by making it clear that I agree with a lot of what you have said, I have written in here many times that the Hawks, with what they have had to work with, cap wise had a hell of an offseason. Losing Saad and Sharp hurt but they got value back. Losing Oduya is overrated, he is just a body, nothing more or less.

I also agree that Versteeg is a nice addition for the Canes who I quite frankly am higher on than anyone that I know, my wife thinks I am nuts because I see the Canes as a 90 point team. Not quite a playoff club to be sure but on the cusp, I love the kids on defense, I love the goalie moves and the addition fo both Nordstrom and Versteeg give options among the forwards.

Now onto what we disagree with.

The Hawks essentially had to give up a third rounder to get someone to take Versteeg off their hands so that they can resign Kruger, an absolutely brutal deal for the Hawks. While I have been impressed with the cap management of Bowman while up against the wall this offseason, this move was cringe worthy. They gave up a third rounder and a middling prospect in exchange for a fifth rounder and two nothing prospects to move Versteeg. Absolutely brutal deal for the Hawks.

As for Paille, I see no reason not to sign him, he along with Desjardins and Kruger would make for one hell of a shut down line, as well as a great penalty killer in the mix. It forces Bickel to play middle six minutes and grow up and earn his contract. If he makes the team, which I believe he should, it is a perfect example of why Bowman is a top flight GM, a super under the radar move. It helps offset the Versteeg deal a bit.

I am not a Flyer fan, I am a Wing fan but mostly a HOCKEY fan and had no horse in the race, no axe to grind. Just wanted to let you know.

Archived