What should the Wild do with Backstrom?

hf101

BACKSTROM_672_042813.jpg

The Wild will enter training camp this week with 3 healthy NHL goalies as Niklas Backstrom is apparently healthy after off season elbow surgery.  Going into the season with 3 healthy goalies should be a good thing.  However the Wild will have a decision on their hands in the coming weeks of whether or not to carry 3 NHL goalies on the roster.

Devan Dubnyk is slated to be this years starter and Darcy Kuemper is penciled in for the backup role getting a more normal percentage of starts this season. Thus Dubnyk won't be starting 37 games in a row.  

With a healthy 37 year old Niklas Backstrom who likely will be the third goalie the Wild have limited options of how they should proceed to start the season. The often injured Backstrom has a NMC and a modified NTC ( he can submit a list of 15 teams), and a Salary Cap hit of about $3.4M.  The Wild are just under the cap ceiling with just less than $2M so there is a little bit of space buy shedding another $3.4M has to be on their wish list.

Since Backstrom hasn't played that much over the last 2 seasons I have to wonder how trade-able he is unless he really shines at training camp and another team loses a starter due to injury during the preseason.

Backstom recently quoted:

"Like everyone, you want to play," he said. "The older you get, the chances of playing are smaller.   That’s the fun part of this game to go out there and compete. But the only thing I can control is my day to day work.  That's my only focus.  I don’t think it’s a secret how much this organization and this city and the fans mean to me. I love it here. But a lot of things out of my control.”

To make the decision more interesting the Wild don't have the luxury of an experienced prospect to step into an NHL role if they were to trade Backstrom and an injury happened to Dubnyk or Kuemper.  Both Brody Hoffman (24) and Stephen Michalek (22) lack professional experience.

So here are the Wild's options, which choice do you think is the most likely for the Wild heading into the season?

1. Keep 3 goalies on the roster.  

• the positive - If an injury occurs to Dubnyk or Kuemper it gives the Wild the most experience in net.
  • the negative - it puts the the Wild near the cap ceiling and limits the roster to one extra defenseman and one extra forward.

2. Trade Niklas Backstrom

• postive - It frees some cap space and allows more flexibility with the roster.
  • negative - The Wild have limited options for an experienced netminder if an injury call-up is needed.

3. Assign Backstrom to a team in Europe

• positive - it frees up a roster space, and gain $100,000 in cap space
  • negative - same as for trading him as they lack a seasoned AHL'er for callup.

Even if the Wild don't make a move to start the season having 3 goalies and 2 nets will be a daily issue throughout the year.

I like Nik Backstrom.

Always have.

The guy puts on his gear, goes to work, performs pretty well......or at least, he had in seasons gone by.

I never really felt he was a "Stanley Cup Caliber" goalie....sorta like a B or B+ guy who thrived behind a usually sound Minnesota defense throughout the years...but there is always something to love about a guy who just keeps his mouth shut, does what he is paid to do, and gives you a chance to win on a regular basis.

But injuries and age have caught up with him and he is now an expensive piece who is more detrimental to the team than he can do good.

I'd go with Option 2: Try to work a trade.

First off, in ANY trade involving Backstrom, the Wild will need to realize that the return will NOT be great. Main purpose of the trade would be shedding salary, and, hopefully, the Wild will do right by Backstrom with at least trying to honor whatever team he says he'd like to go to if he can't stay in Minnesota. And yes, that will be hard for him too as he has always stated he loves it in the Twin Cities.

Secondly, since the Wild will be thin at goalie (experienced pro anyways), perhaps they should at the very least, seek someone's journeyman goalie as a return so he can play in AHL Iowa, yet be available for backup duty should either Dubnyk or Kuemper go down with injury.

After a Backstrom trade, the Minnesota Wild can always look at the scrap heap to see what former regular goalies are available for a possible two way contract.....perhaps a Peter Budaj, Ray Emery, or Jonas Gustavsson.

Sure, none of those guys scream "playoff goalie", but let's remember we are talking the Wild need a guy to play in the AHL, then possibly be ready for callup duty should injury occur...if any of those three former NHL guys are willing to sign a two way, I say go for it while the Wild further explore adding goalie depth during the season.

One final thought on Backstrom:

Is it possible to buy him out?

At least, this way, the Wild get him off the roster, have a much reduced cap hit, Backstrom gets some money for his final year, and then he is free to go wherever he likes.

This wouldn't solve the Wild's need for an experienced 'third goalie', but once Backstrom is off the roster, they can worry about that afterwards.

Backstrom might be untradeable, and that's why he is still with the Wild. I would bet the team trades Kuemper, which would suck, but at least they can move him. I'd rather have Kuemper as a backup, but Backstrom was a good goalie in the past. He might be able to be a serviceable backup this year.

Backstrom might be untradeable, and that's why he is still with the Wild. I would bet the team trades Kuemper, which would suck, but at least they can move him. I'd rather have Kuemper as a backup, but Backstrom was a good goalie in the past. He might be able to be a serviceable backup this year.

I think Backstrom is very tradeable. He has one year left on his deal with a reasonable cap hit of 3.4 mill.....some team will have a tender faulter or get hurt, and Backstrom, purely as a veteran rental will be moved.

I think Backstrom is very tradeable. He has one year left on his deal with a reasonable cap hit of 3.4 mill.....some team will have a tender faulter or get hurt, and Backstrom, purely as a veteran rental will be moved.

I think you're right, but that doesn't help solve the roster problem at the start of the season.

If it comes down to it, I'd put Kuemper in the AHL and wait for the opportunity to deal Backstrom.

And the countdown to "how do we get rid of Dubnyk and his contract" starts now.

The Wild look to solve their lack of experience in net in Iowa as they are bringing in goalie Leland Irwing  on a PTO.    Iring was a first round 2007 pick of the Flames and played in the KHL last year. 

I think you're right, but that doesn't help solve the roster problem at the start of the season.

If it comes down to it, I'd put Kuemper in the AHL and wait for the opportunity to deal Backstrom.

And the countdown to "how do we get rid of Dubnyk and his contract" starts now.

Yeah, I also think that is the move, send down Kuemper and start auditioning Backstrom for a potential trade. Like I mentioned, he needs to play some meaningful games to establish his actual worth. Kuemper has proven he belongs, but the Wild are looking at a 2nd or 3rd...or a middle type prospect. That is a decent haul and worth potentially pissing off Darcy.

@hf101  Ahhhh, I was thinking he has not played enough to be waiver elegible. That changes everything. They will have to carry 3 goalies until Backstrom establishes his value early on....Plus, after one month of the season being played, at least one starting tender will go down. Backstorm would make a perfect fill in replacement type. I could see contenders wanting his veteran experience.

@jammer2 @radoran

I think Kuemper would have to clear waivers I believe as he has played at least 70 games in the NHL, so taking a chance on losing a 25 year old goalie wouldn't be in their best interests.

@hf101  Ahhhh, I was thinking he has not played enough to be waiver elegible. That changes everything. They will have to carry 3 goalies until Backstrom establishes his value early on....Plus, after one month of the season being played, at least one starting tender will go down. Backstorm would make a perfect fill in replacement type. I could see contenders wanting his veteran experience.

Yes, guys....Kuemper just can't be sent outright to the minors.

When Kuemper and the Wild were negociating his current contract, THAT was a sticking point.

Minnesota wanted to do a two way contract, Kuemper's kamp (yes, with a K...I WANTED to type it that way! :P  ), insisted on a one way NHL contract.

And since Kuemper's Kamp basically had Minny by the short hairs (Wild were not gonna risk losing Kuemper over a one-way/two way detail, and they didn't have Dubnyk at the time), the Wild gave him his one way contract.

This is no doubt a thorny issue, and for all intents and purposes, the Wild likely WILL have to carry three goalies, get Backstrom some playing time like you guys mentioned, and see what they can get for him.

If you are Minnesota, you definitely want only two goalies and those goalies need to be Dubnyk / Kuemper...and NO, Dubnyk should NOT have to start like 30 games in a row again!

Yeah, I also think that is the move, send down Kuemper and start auditioning Backstrom for a potential trade. Like I mentioned, he needs to play some meaningful games to establish his actual worth. Kuemper has proven he belongs, but the Wild are looking at a 2nd or 3rd...or a middle type prospect. That is a decent haul and worth potentially pissing off Darcy.

Kuemper requires waivers to go to the AHL. They won't send him down. 

• 3 weeks later...

They should let him go and let another team pick him up. He would be a quality veteran back up for some club. If they try to send him down he isn't going to accept it and either retire or get picked up. I hope he sticks around for at least another year.

Holmgren isn't a gm anymore.

True, but we DO have the aged Lou Lamiorello in Toronto who still thinks he is running NJ's front office and he needs a backup to Marty Brodeur.

BTW...he STILL doesn't understand why all those cameras are pointed at him and why everyone is so interested in what he is doing..... :ph34r:

They should let him go and let another team pick him up. He would be a quality veteran back up for some club. If they try to send him down he isn't going to accept it and either retire or get picked up. I hope he sticks around for at least another year.

They can't let him go or send him down, he has a no movement clause.

They can't let him go or send him down, he has a no movement clause.

The Minnesota Wild can't go into the season with 3 goalies and Backstrom seems the odd goalie out. If all they can do is release him and get stuck with his contract which I have no clue what is left of his contract, then that is what they have to do. The Wild certainly seem like they have way more faith in Dubnyk and Kuemper as really they should.

The Minnesota Wild can't go into the season with 3 goalies and Backstrom seems the odd goalie out. If all they can do is release him and get stuck with his contract which I have no clue what is left of his contract, then that is what they have to do. The Wild certainly seem like they have way more faith in Dubnyk and Kuemper as really they should.

Right, but with a guaranteed contract that has a no movement clause they can't "just release him."

"No Movement Clause" means they can't waive him or trade him without his permission. If they can't waive him, they can't "release" him. And even if they could they would still be stuck with his full cap hit because it is also a "35+" contract.

This has nothing at all to do with whether it is the best thing for the Wild. It's just the situation the Wild put themselves in when they signed a 35+/NMC  deal with Backstrom.

Backstrom's contract ends this season. The Wild may just have to suck it up.

Right, but with a guaranteed contract that has a no movement clause they can't "just release him."

"No Movement Clause" means they can't waive him or trade him without his permission. If they can't waive him, they can't "release" him. And even if they could they would still be stuck with his full cap hit because it is also a "35+" contract.

This has nothing at all to do with whether it is the best thing for the Wild. It's just the situation the Wild put themselves in when they signed a 35+/NMC  deal with Backstrom.

Backstrom's contract ends this season. The Wild may just have to suck it up.

So basically the Wild either goes with 3 Goalies which isn't going to happen or send Kuemper back down(which is a shame because he does deserve to be on the team)?

So basically the Wild either goes with 3 Goalies which isn't going to happen or send Kuemper back down(which is a shame because he does deserve to be on the team)?

Pretty much.

Or Backstrom could walk away from $4M - which is his salary vs. His $3.4M cap hit.

there are other sites, but i generally use hockeyscap.com

https://www.hockeyscap.com/players/niklas_backstrom

I have no idea why this contract is structured this way, however, I'm not a hockey genius GM :)

It should have been front-loaded as much as possible.

The thing is that the Wild made the choice to go with Bakcstrom to be a changing of the guard to hand the job over to Harding. Harding's MS diagnosis derailed those plans, but they still found Kuemper - whose play was the reason the Wild traded for Dubnyk.

Now they jumped on the Dubnyk bandwagon, but still have the legacy of their former plan.

I guess Backstrom has a huge decision to make. and has to make it pretty quick. He is 37 years old and really has dropped in his play. He has to see the writing on the wall. He should for the sake of the team that pretty much made him walk away from his salary and call it a good career.

Archived