Clayton Stoner Facing Hunting Charges

radoran

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25305741

In an offseason filled with NHL players getting in trouble with the law, Anaheim Ducks defenseman Clayton Stoner is the latest to draw attention from the authorities. Stoner is currently facing five charges under Canada's Wildlife Act following what has been termed "unlawful" hunting of a male grizzly bear back in 2013 according to the Vancouver Sun.

The bear in question was named Cheeky who was apparently beloved by the aboriginal people of the central coastal region of British Columbia, which has this drawing comparisons to the controversial killing of Cecil the Lion in Zimbabwe

The B.C.-born Stoner is charged with two counts of making a false statement to obtain a license on May 22, 2013, as well as one count of hunting without a license, one count of hunting wildlife out of season, and one count of unlawful possession of dead wildlife — the latter three offences allegedly taking place on May 28, 2013. Stoner is scheduled to appear in Vancouver provincial court on Oct. 9.

The bear was allegedly skinned, beheaded and depawed, with the rest of its body left to rot in a field, according to the Sun. The paper also obtained photos of Stoner posing with the bear's head while on a boat.

Stone was playing for the Wild at the time.

Potential penalties are "unclear".

His court date is the day before the Ducks' season-opener.

If it's duck hunting, he clearly needs to be traded immediately. That's what he gets for hanging out with Dick Cheney too much. :D  :ph34r:

@radoran

Trophy hunting? What a waste. I don't hunt, but I have no problem with people doing it for food. Killing something just to kill it? What a hero.

Yeah, trophy hunters suck.

I know several people that rely on bringing home some venison, though.

In all sincerity, killing an animal for no purpose other than showing off, in particular when it was no apparent threat to Stoner, is dead wrong IMO. He could, and probably should be going away for a while based on what I read there.

I had this exact same thought when I saw someone coming through the airport the other night with just the antlers from a large deer. "I hope he is having the meat prepped and shipped home." No problem with hunting if you eat the kill. If you just want to show off a small part of it, I hope you miss your shot every time.

Well, hunting a bear named Cheeky was Clayton's first mistake ....you simply DON'T hunt an animal that people took the time to name.

Secondly, I am sure the state of California isn't happy with Clayton due to the fact I am sure they prefer he use his sniping skills on some of the degenerates in the state as opposed to some animal in Canada.

And third, I think we FINALLY found out the real reason the Minnesota Wild didn't pay Clayton Stoner what he was asking as a UFA, but rather went ahead and kept Nate Prosser instead...the ol "I know what you did last summer" deal.

The Wild were in no way, shape or form going to be involved in some sort of Grizzly-gate........  :cool[1]:

• 3 weeks later...

I never saw much purpose in trophy hunting besides inflating an ego. The only animal I would trophy hunt for would be a bobcat, but they are pretty much pests around my neck of the woods.

That's a sad story. He also missed his court date today and his lawyer doesn't even know how he wants to plead. So he doesn't show in court and there's no plea entered? It seems like he's getting a ton of slack by the court. If that was a random person off the street, they would be in trouble! Like "bench warrant issued" trouble.

He had better stay focused on his job because they are better players than him in that position for sure.

Archived