Grabner Dealt to Maple Leafs

radoran

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779475&navid=DL|NHL|home&cmpid=nhl-fb

Going to the Islanders are forwards Carter Verhaeghe and Taylor Beck, defensemen Tom Nilsson and Matthew Finn, and goaltender Christopher Gibson.

"He brings exceptional speed," general manager Lou Lamoriello said in video posted by the Maple Leafs website. "There's no question that he's one of the top penalty killers in the League. He pushes other people and he pushes the defense back.

"He's the type of player that what he has you can't teach."

Of the players acquired by the Islanders, only Beck played in the NHL last season. The 24-year-old left wing had eight goals and 16 points in 62 games with the Nashville Predators. The Maple Leafs had acquired Beck in a trade with the Predators on July 12.

Grabner has speed to burn and is a good shot but a poor passer to put it mildly. The Leafs have no real playmakers of note, he is going to find that playing on a line with Bozak or Kadri dishing him the puck is a bit different than playing with Tavares.

What it really does for the Leafs is free up roster spots to sign some of the invitees to the roster, Boyes, Setaguchi, a couple of more now have a better chance at making the team.

Wow...gotta say...good deal for the Isles.

TBH, I don't know ANYTHING about the players going back to the Islanders, but if even just one or two turn out to be decent players (odds are good that at least one out of five will turn out well, right?), then they made good in trading off a player in Grabner, who obviously is very skilled, seems to have fallen off a cliff since he made his debut playing with the Isles.

I remember some seasons ago, that Grabner was being talked bout in the same breath as some of the elite players in the game, but he sure has not been that for NY.

If Grabner does turn out well for the Leafs, well, it wouldn't be the first time a player leaves Long Island (oh wait, it's BROOKLYN now), and does well elsewhere.

Still though, at the end of the day, if you are New York, and you have a player of value who really hasn't done a whole lot since his rookie season for your team, and you can get five guys of varying positions for him, you do it.

Maybe a guy like John Tavares can help raise the level of some of the more mediocre players on the team now that Grabner is no longer there taking up a top line spot.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Taylor Beck just came to Toronto in July from Nashville, a decent bottom six forward squeezed out. Finn may have a role as a bottom six forward, Gibson is an okay goalie prospect but the other two, are just AHL canon fodder.

It was a deal that helped both teams, the Isles after signing Nelson were up against the cap and moving Grabner who is slipping a bit and has been passed on the depth chart helps them a lot. For Toronto Grabner can play middle six minutes and kill penalties with the best of them, and like I said now they can sign Boyes and maybe another camp invite. Good move for both teams although truth be told I am not a big fan of the players that the Isles got.

I wish I could offer an opinion on this deal, but truth be told, I don't know any of the players well enough to offer an opinion. Yet another negative effect of the 30 team NHL.

As with all trades, time will tell.

Who was it that was positive the Grabner would be traded?  He said it earlier this summer.....I disagreed, saying Grabs was the glue that binds....lol, good call whoever that was!!

Carter Verhege was a nice scorer in jrs, still has upside. I always thought Matt Finn was a good prospect, but after viewing him at the AHL level, his skating was a tad suspect. Don't know much about Nillson, but my Leaf buddies were pretty high on him. Beck was a 3rd round pick a while ago...was almost climbing up to a pt a game at the AHL level, regressed a bit a few years back and played 62 games for the Preds last year....only 8 goals but he has upside as well.

I don't know if any of these guys are going to break into the deep Islanders line up....only way a few break through is more Islander trades or a lot of injuries.

Grabner is a REAL smart move by the Leafs. One of the top pk guys in the league, wickedly fast and strong like a bull.....very nice player, always liked the way Grabner played. He is the perfect 3rd line center in the NHL......I thought Bozek would be a nice fit for the 3rd line.....now I'm not sure how it will shake out. Still positive Nylander will be top center, then Kadri, the Grabs....Bozek may get dealt or be relegated to 4th line duty.....he was only on the top line cause his buddy Phil the Thrill demanded he was his center....lol.

Yeah I think both teams made out pretty well...

From where I'm sitting, the Leafs won this trade, right now....in the present. Grabner is a GREAT pk guy, nice on Faceoffs, dogged pursuit of the puck, wickedly fast....the kids the Leafs got back, it is a very real possibility that none of them will ever have a substantial NHL career. Grabs is only 27 also, has not peaked.....very nice deal for the Leafs. Also, teams are pretty stingy with their 50 pro contracts AND the Leafs just rid themselves of 5 of them that will probably never see the light of day.

I don't know... The Leafs are paying Grabner $5M this season ($3M cap hit) and Grabner's production has seen a steady decline from his big 34-goal season.

Could be he finds the touch again - but he hasn't played a full season for the past two years.

The Isles got four players that are likely to cost them $280K in the AHL (all two way deals) and Beck at $875K - at the very least they're saving $4M and they can get out from under two of them after this season and Beck is an RFA so if he doesn't produce, they can can him, too.

Isle have seven F signed through next season and six (minus Clutterbuck) through 17-18 - plus Okposo and Neilsen (both of whom have better and more recent numbers than Grabner) as UFAs.

I'd say a solid return for both teams given the situation and considering that Grabner could walk away from Tronno after this season and that the Isles likely won't miss him at all and stocked the AHL cupboard.

When you look at the Islanders potential line-up for next year, you can see why Grabs was expendable. It will be tough to make this team.

Line #1 = Tavares centering Okposo and Josh Bailey

Line #2 = Ryan Strome centering Anders Lee and Michael Dal Colle (might just be ready!)

Line #3 = Mikhail Grabovski centering Frans Nielson and Nickoli Kulemin

Line#4 = Casey Cizikas centering Cal Clutterbuck and Matt Martin

Outside looking in....Steve Bernier, Taylor Beck,  Matthew Barzal (should be going back to jrs, but a lock for 16-17), Josh Ho-Sang, Anthony Beaulivillier, Carter Verhaeghe,

Defensive pairings

1st Pairing = Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy

2nd Pairing = Travis Hamonic and Brian Strait

3rd Pairing = Calvin De Hann and Ryan Pulock (fine young talent might be ready this year)

outside looking in....Thomas Hickey, Matt Finn, Tom Nilsson,

Goalies

Starter = Jaroslav Halak

Back up = Thomas Greisis

3rd string AHL starter = Christopher Gibson

high ranking prospect = Ilya Sorokin (highly thought of Euro goalie)

mid ranked prospect = Linus Soderstrom

Dangerous team....very young core and guys like Del Colle, Barzal Polock, Ho-Sang, Boulivillier.....loads of young talent knocking at the door.

I tell ya, if Barzal and Del Colle are as good as people say, we are talking offensive powerhouse here in a few short years. Very fast team also.....blazing fast.

@jammer2

The Isles are building a cup contending forward base. That's some quality depth up front with a nice blend of speed, skill and grit. Even after Dal Colle they still have Barzal/Beauvellier/Hosang(if he ever gets it) Petrov...

Yes, that is what I see also....they are a fine team right now, but some quality prospects coming up also....that could push them over the edge into true cup contenders.

Archived