Tortorella fined by NHL - WC Comments

Guest OH1FlyersFan

In the spirit of full disclosure, I can't stand Tortorella. He can be a whiney d!ck and grates on my nerves. That said, I thought what he said about the officiating in the 3rd period after the Winter Classic game was refreshing.....whether his perspective was right or not, it was nice to see some call finally and publically call BS on the officials. I mean it's reached the point where NHL refs actually make the old Supreme Soviet in Communist Russia look like a competent body of officials. Disappointing.

But when the League, which can't accept that it ever does anything wrong, steps in and fines him $30K, it just becomes all the more disappointing. Here's what the NHL had to say, "

"There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did."

Well, that's laughable. As is pretty much everything that leaves Cambell's mouth. First, to think that this League under Bettman has any integrity at all is hilarious. Second, to think that any of these officials have any intergrity is hilarious, and to engage in some Tortorella-esque hyperbole, just beyond belief. Third, to squash Tortorella's right to free speech, to say there is no justification for pointing out injustices, is just downright un-American and unconsitutional!

Ah, that feels better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/John-Tortorella-fined-30K-for-Winter-Classic-co?urn=nhl-wp21614

Tortorella has the right to free speech. The NHL has the right to fine him. There's nothing "anti-American" about this in the slightest. There is no constitutional guarantee that you can say whatever the hell you damn well please about your employer and they have no recourse whatsoever. The New York Rangers are sanctioned to play in the NHL by the NHL and they are subject to the discipline of the NHL.

If he doesn't want to be fined for exercising his free speech, leave the NHL and flap your yap on ESPN, CBC or whatever they're calling VERSUS these days.

To publicly and loudly proclaim that there is a CONSPIRACY between the league and the officials to DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF A GAME is to call into question the foundation of the sport itself. Either this is the WWE or it's the NHL. It's not the WWE. The outcome of contests are not predetermined or determined anywhere but on the ice.

Tortorella himself says what he said was wrong, inexcusable, reflects badly on the sport and that he deserved what he got.

For once, I agree with him.

Tortorella has the right to free speech. The NHL has the right to fine him. There's nothing "anti-American" about this in the slightest. There is no constitutional guarantee that you can say whatever the hell you damn well please about your employer and they have no recourse whatsoever. The New York Rangers are sanctioned to play in the NHL by the NHL and they are subject to the discipline of the NHL.

If he doesn't want to be fined for exercising his free speech, leave the NHL and flap your yap on ESPN, CBC or whatever they're calling VERSUS these days.

To publicly and loudly proclaim that there is a CONSPIRACY between the league and the officials to DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF A GAME is to call into question the foundation of the sport itself. Either this is the WWE or it's the NHL. It's not the WWE. The outcome of contests are not predetermined or determined anywhere but on the ice.

Tortorella himself says what he said was wrong, inexcusable, reflects badly on the sport and that he deserved what he got.

For once, I agree with him.

That rant was about as good as mine! Well done. I still think his comments were refreshing. I agree he went a little over the top - and I think he admitted that he did too, that what he said was tongue in cheek. Besides, everyone knows the only conspiracy in the League involving officials is the one being perpetrated against the Flyers. So Torts was way off on that one. It's just too bad you have to be on Versus to call a spade a spade. The officiating was bad. Luckily, I as a fan, can actually voice that opinion.....for now. Who knows, maybe Bettman and Campbell will find a way to fine me too. Ha.

That's true. I've just never heard of the League firing a coach. I can understand the fine (because there are rules, etc.) as much as I may not like it, but I didn't think they could interfere like that with the hiring and firing of staff or had that much control over the indivdual hockey operation. I wonder if Torts could claim "whistle-blower" status and seek protection for disclosing this "conspiracy" were he to be fired. Ha.