Seabrook's new deal worth $55M

hf101

tumblr_moil3py8o51rk4f8to4_r1_250.gif

On Saturday the Hawks extended the lifeline of the teams #1 defensive pair with a 8 year contract worth $55M and a cap hit of $6.875M to 30 year old Brent Seabrook.  The deal includes a full NTC for the first 6 years and a partial NTC for the last two.  The new deal will go into effect starting in 2016-17 and run through 2023-24.  

Personally I think the money is right but the contract might be couple of years too long which could be tough on the Hawks towards the end of his contract.

Personally I think the money is right but the contract might be couple of years too long which could be tough on the Hawks towards the end of his contract.

I'm sure Rocky would've preferred a 4-year deal too but he's only 30 right? Plus Seabrook held most of the cards. He's such an integral part of the team proving his worth year after year. I think he's only missed like 5 games in 8 years (prob exaggerating I didn't look it up but the guy is a workhorse). I bet both sides are pretty happy with this deal.

Seabrooke is pretty underrated, but this is just WAY to expensive for the Hawks IMHO. They already have a whopping 21 mill tied up in Kane and Toews for the next 8 years....now this? At this rate, they will have to continually have to ice rookies and second year players, then trade them if they get to respectable. For instance, I don't think Saad would have ever been moved were it not for this cap crunch. I'm gonna make a thread on the Hawks cap problems.

Honestly, Seabrooke and Kieth make one of the best 1-2 defensive combos in the league (I'm think Pieterangelo and Shattenkirk should be approx in the neighbourhood in a year or so)....but you cannot pay your second best d-man 6.8 mill until they are 39....this is just plain ol silliness. Why do teams do this?  Perhaps the Hawks are banking on a get out of jail free card when the CBA comes up?....along with the prerequisite buy out scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Teams do this because they don't want to worry that in a few years they'll lose these players if they don't pay them enough money now.( not realizing that their skills might erode enough by the end of the deal that they're not worth the money that they're being paid at that point)

i'm a huge seabrooke fan .  the term is too long, but he'll be a good value for most of it regardless.

i liked seeing scott laughton skate away from him last night, not too many guys in the league can do that.

Teams do this because they don't want to worry that in a few years they'll lose these players if they don't pay them enough money now.( not realizing that their skills might erode enough by the end of the deal that they're not worth the money that they're being paid at that point)

It really gets to be something else with 10+ year contracts. That GM probably won't be there, so let the next shmuck deal with it.

Archived