Bickel on waivers

Jmdodgesrt4

It will only free up about 900K of his 4mill cap hit...which they sorely need.

Hilarious, how does having a guy counting for 3 of his 4 million owed against the cap, dressing in the AHL, help the Hawks?....that is just plain dumb. You save 1 mill, but waste the other 3??  Pretty sure Bickell got paid right after playing the very best hockey of his life in the 2013 playoffs...9 goals and 8 assists for 17 pts in 23 games. A bit of the ol John Druce syndrome going on here...although he did follow up that playoff year with another respectable playoff, scoring 7 goals and 3 assists in 19 games.....and I do remember a few OT game winners in there also...in both the big playoff runs. So, he gets paid the 4 mill a year, looked like he was an emerging power forward type....and regressed. He was downright stinky in last years playoffs, playing in 18 games with NO goals and only 5 assists. WTF happened.....maybe he was hurt or something?

His best year statistically was 2010, 17 goals and 20 assists for a career high 37 pts .....BUT he adds toughness and grit, right?  Well, he is a tough customer....but I was really shocked to see that he has NEVER reached 50 penalty minutes in single season. This guy can seriously through down though....he is one tough SOB.

The proof is in the pudding....he lays a beat down on Simmonds in this fight from 2014....first off, he rag dolls Wayne into the boards to start it out...Simmonds misses with a left, barely lands a right and then WHAM...Bickell takes over. The camera angle was awkward, so you don't really know if the flurry of windmill punches landed with authority, but anytime you put on a show like that....your team gets a lot more brave and really, it can exude confidence as well. Don't recall Simmonds ever being bullied like that travesty.

Bickell managed to cash in after a career playoff season.....but the really odd thing, he was dominant during those playoffs, he imposed his will, scored all kinds of goals off the rush, just blowing by d-men etc....so Chicago must be PISSED that they know he can do it, but he cannot regain his form from the 2013 playoffs. He was scary good during that run, he literally appeared unstoppable at times. I can see why Bryan's agent was able to swindle Dale Tallon. Not one of his better moves, and when you can fool a wiley ol vet like Tallon, kudos to you!

And nobody wanted him lol.

Not surprised. guy was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

Hawks fans wanted to crucify him this past Season/playoff, and would have even if he made 900k.

But while his contract was a waste, the true issue here is Kane/Toews Contracts. They set the tone for the team by playing hardball and saying "Pay us both more than any other NHL player or we both leave at the same time". Saad followed suit. It is not possible to convince others to take a hometeam discount anymore.

They just turned over half the roster because of those contracts.

Now they are amazing players and won the team the cups, so I would trade being in cap hell for it too. But now they have to deal with the repercussions that the best days are likely behind them and for the next few years, they will have a lot of ELC's playing. ANisimov is not a top 6 player and he is who they have for a 2nd liner for the next few years. Hossa is 37 years old and their supposed replacements Bickell and Saad are either gone or playing AHL level hockey.

They are praying to god some of their ELC's work out

Not surprised. guy was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

I agree, but I also don't think he was as bad as what he showed in last years playoffs. He missed most of the finals with Vertigo. Hmmm, might he have trouble flying?  Kinda one of the worst things that can happen to an NHL player.

Hold on here a second, did I not read that he has dealt with Vertigo? I just had a bout of it that hit me this year on the May long weekend. It was late July before I felt back to normal....I can tell you a few things; one, I am no Athlete....and two, it SUCKEDDD big time. I cannot imagine being a banger and crasher and skating ta boot. Just not possible. So, that very well might be where his game went.

To be fair...

Z

@J0e Th0rnton@jammer2

Yep John Druce syndrome. Let me tell you, this guy had a beast of a postseason a few years ago, I honestly believe they wouldn't have gotten past the Wings without him, the battle between him and Cleary on every shift was just fun hockey. Then Bowman who does not do a lot of stupid things shot himself in the foot by giving him a contract based off the postseason and he has not come close to living up to it. But that one postseason, wow, he never played as well before or since. Just an absolute force.

If they use the money they freed up sending him to Rockford to sign Paille it is a good move. Paille is the perfect 4th liner, no ego, plays the penalty kill very well.

If this guy has vertigo (any variant), he can't play hockey for a living, can he?

Anyway, I hate the cap for lots of reasons and this is definitely of them.  :angry:

I wish him well and I hope he sucks every penny out of the Hawks organisation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived