Raffi Torres being Raffi Torres

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be his 5th suspension....when is it to much....when somebody dies?  This punk has no respect at all for his fellow players. He looks to end careers. Teams need to call up AHL goons and send them out to mess up Raffi....before he takes out one of your players....take him out. Big deal, the AHL goon gets suspended....it would be well worth it to see him get his lunch handed to him.

@hf101   WOW, way to many strides to start off with....comes from the other side of the ice to target the puck carrier....and he really looked like he was intending to make contact with the head there....what a DIRTBAG!!!

EDIT...AND I might add, the puck is long gone, two strides before he makes contact...

I disagree.  I don't think he hit his head at all.  His head did not snap back like it was a direct head shot. His whole body went back.  It was a glancing shoulder to shoulder/chest. 

Charging yes...Head shot, no. I think it was a reputation call to give him a match penalty.  I posted the same in the shout box this morning. 

Torres was given a match penalty which is an automatic suspension.  I disagree with the match penalty.

EDIT:  I have to admit that I was wrong.  The first video that I saw was grainy, far off, and taken from behind Torres.  I also missed the gif that @hf101 posted in post #3.  When I watched the Dept of Player Safety video (below) it was the first time I saw the reverse angle.

Last night Raffi Torres took out Jakob Silfverberg on a vicious hit. Torres was then suspended. The question is how many games he will be suspended for? I'm going to guess 25 games again. It was an unnecessary elbow, on a borderline play.

This is probably it for his career. Too many times a repeat offender.

If he gets less than 40 games, I will be surprised.

His career is near done

The guy obviously hasn't learned his lesson. I think he did play a lot safer for about half a season after the Hossa suspension, but then the Stoll hit (which wasn't all that dirty, but was definitely avoidable). I thought he might have a decent year if he could keep his head in the game and stop pulling this crap.

I don't agree with you @jammer2 about the Sharks not complaining about dirty hits. Having a guy like Torres doesn't mean that other teams can just take cheat shots. What it does mean, however, is that the refs will be watching the Sharks for cheap shots all season, so we should see a lot of clean play.

I do agree with you @J0e Th0rnton about our opinion of Torres. I hate him. He can't keep his elbows down. He doesn't know how slow down after the puck is gone. He is a dirty player, plain and simple.

When hasn't Torres put a guy on IR? He is always hurting someone.

@hf101   WOW, way to many strides to start off with....comes from the other side of the ice to target the puck carrier....and he really looked like he was intending to make contact with the head there....what a DIRTBAG!!!

EDIT...AND I might add, the puck is long gone, two strides before he makes contact...

Raffi Torres operates on the margins, and one problem is that the league makes some of those margins so thin that this is the sort of thing than can happen sometimes. Over the years, hockey has become ridiculously fast, and players who have passed off the puck for 2 or 3 steamboats are routinely hit with no penalties called. Torres went in for a hit which would have been perfectly fine if it were just a few inches to his left or was just a bit lower, getting Silfverberg's shoulder. And that's pretty much the story of Raffi Torres and suspensions: lots of hits delivered after the puck is passed (not legal, yet strangely allowed across the NHL) but just cross the line with respect to where he gets a guy or where he comes from to make the hit.

Just reducing the amount of contact in these situations would help, and no, I'm not talking about making the game a hit-less affair, where they hand out leotards and too-toos before puck drop. I'm talking about not allowing players to hit a guy who doesn't even have the puck.

I am kinda happy he will be gone because it is even more chances for the kids to play.

Tierney is going to be 4th line C and is potentially a 2nd line C in the making.

But last year, he only really clicked on and could showcase his vision when he had guys who could do a bit. I.E John Scott and Goodrow were not good linemates, but Nieto/Wingels/Hertl were.

By the looks of preseason, the Marleau/Couture/Ward line is set in stone, despite it not being as good as I hoped.

The Joe's can line up with anyone and work, but prefer a strong forechecker(Why Karlsson did well with them)

Hertl seems to have taken the 3rd line as his own with Nieto and Wingels.

So let's be nice to Tierney now and not give him Brown and Goodrow. We want Donskoi and Goldobin

I have to admit that I was wrong.  The first video that I saw was grainy, far off, and taken from behind Torres.  I also missed the gif that @hf101 posted in post #3.  When I watched the Dept of Player Safety video (below) it was the first time I saw the reverse angle.

Holy Schnike!!  He definitely deserves the suspension he received.  I'm happy to see the NHL penalize the play and not the outcome since there was no apparent injury. 

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=840482〈=en&navid=DL|NHL|home

This would be his 5th suspension....when is it to much....when somebody dies?  This punk has no respect at all for his fellow players. He looks to end careers. Teams need to call up AHL goons and send them out to mess up Raffi....before he takes out one of your players....take him out. Big deal, the AHL goon gets suspended....it would be well worth it to see him get his lunch handed to him.

Hey - Pronger made it to eight suspensions. And the eigth was only 8 games. Talk about getting off easy.  :ph34r:  ;)

41 for Raffi seems right considering his last was what...25 games? 1/4 seaso to 1/2 season.

I don't agree with you @jammer2 about the Sharks not complaining about dirty hits. Having a guy like Torres doesn't mean that other teams can just take cheat shots. What it does mean, however, is that the refs will be watching the Sharks for cheap shots all season, so we should see a lot of clean play.

I was merely making the point, when you roster a player like Torres, you can never complain or take the higher moral ground about your own players being attacked, cause you roster one of the big problems in this league...so, in essence, when you play Torres, you just can't complain out illegal hits...it's instant karma.

The Anaheim Ducks should pay J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans and teach him how to skate in those 41 games as fast as they can. Then the first game Raffi is back and play the Ducks they should sign J.J. Watt to a 1 day contract and start him and his sole purpose would be to hit Raffi so hard he wouldn't want to play hockey anymore. Just a silly suggestion. :)

I was merely making the point, when you roster a player like Torres, you can never complain or take the higher moral ground about your own players being attacked, cause you roster one of the big problems in this league...so, in essence, when you play Torres, you just can't complain out illegal hits...it's instant karma.

Kind of like when you ice a team with Cooke and Neal, you can't have your owner running around whining about cheap hits and how we should let skill be skill?

Archived