Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2015-2016

WordsOfWisdom

Oct.30: TOR vs NYR

1. Rielly, Van Riemsdyk, Kadri
  2. Komarov
  3. Empty net.

Final score: 3-1 NYR.

Rielly with the giveaway. Van Riemsdyk and Kadri way out of position (aka missed coverage). Komarov loses (or isn't watching) his man and causes a 2-on-1.

The mighty Leafs are slain by the (hat) trickery of Zuccarello!  :(

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting so far.

@WordsOfWisdom - can you sort the list by DE, with the lowest on top? Or with the highest on top? Just a suggestion.

I tried a bunch of different sort orders last season. Initially it started out as a sort by DE, but then the players with the most ice time were creeping up to the top of the list. That's when I added the MPBE column, which is an average. (An analogy would be sorting baseball hitters by batting average rather than by hits.)

Basically what you're looking at in that list is a ranking from best to worst. So the first L, C, R, D, and D that you can find on there are the five guys you want to have on the ice in terms of preventing goals. If that makes sense? :D

I can always display with other sort options too if it helps.

Nov.6: TOR vs DET

1. Reimer
  2. Bozak, Gardiner, Van Riemsdyk

Final score: 2-1 (OT) DET.

Another softy by Reimer. Three-way brain cramp on the OT goal as nobody defends anyone and the Red Wing player walks around all three Leafs to score the OT winner! 

Leafs almost won this game. The tank dodged a bullet tonight!

Nov.7: TOR vs WSH

1. Kadri
  2. Spaling
  3. Shootout

Final score: 3-2 (SO) WSH.

Kadri on the penalty. Spaling goes for a skate late in the 3rd period and leaves his man wide open.

Whew! The tank had to negotiate a tricky minefield tonight. Took some minor damage on this one but we're still rollin' baby. :)

Nov.10: TOR vs DAL

1. Hunwick, Parenteau
  2. Reimer

Final score: 3-2 TOR.

Hunwick just gets beat by Sharp and loses his man. Parenteau gets stripped of the puck behind the net. Reimer lets in the softest goal of the season thus far. Leafs still manage to win. The Leafs seem to own the Dallas Stars.  :)

Actually, I thought both Dallas goals were softies......

If Reimer could ever manage to cut out those gimmies, he'd be great. I wish they would start Biebeau (or is it Beeber).... ;)

It was close. I was going to give Reimer a DE on the first one as well except that the play was essentially a one-timer from behind the net. Those types of plays are very difficult for the goaltender, so he caught a break there. The second goal however, was the epitome of a soft goal.  :)

The fact that Reimer keeps letting in softies is going to cost him dearly because I think Bibeau is about to get a start.

Jeez, WOW, your "list" just has one name on it. No team could complain about that really..... :)

Pulling two games in a row out of the fire - on the road - against very good opposition. What a strange feeling...... :blink[1]:

I agree it must be the Babcock effect. The boys all worked hard last night - again. Hmmmm. :P

Jeez, WOW, your "list" just has one name on it. No team could complain about that really..... :)

Pulling two games in a row out of the fire - on the road - against very good opposition. What a strange feeling...... :blink[1]:

I agree it must be the Babcock effect. The boys all worked hard last night - again. Hmmmm. :P

Yeah. I suspect this team has bought into the new system and the results are starting to show it. Babcock is arguably the best coach in the league. He may just have this team sniffing around a playoff spot before long. That would be shocking. :)

I was actually a little disappointed with the effort last night, but I guess I shouldn't complain? Too many shots given up IMHO.

Also, I doubt that Reims can stand on his head for many more games. I still can't imagine them starting Bernier tonight. I gotta go out tonight so I think I will end up missing this one.

Fingers crossed.

I was actually a little disappointed with the effort last night, but I guess I shouldn't complain? Too many shots given up IMHO.

Also, I doubt that Reims can stand on his head for many more games. I still can't imagine them starting Bernier tonight. I gotta go out tonight so I think I will end up missing this one.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah. It started out well. The Leafs were dominating in shots until the third period. The Canuckleheads turned it up a notch. I laughed so hard when both of the reviewed calls went Toronto's way... especially the offside call. I've never seen that reviewed before. That helped bolster Reimer's save percentage even more (which was nice to see), otherwise it would have been another fluky late goal.

This team is 6 points out of the final playoff spot in the east. The tank has run into a swamp! (Had to get that in there.) :cool[1]:  It's scary to think about it, but they're playing like a different team right now. They are close to leapfrogging a bunch of teams in the standings now. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing this season or a bad thing. :)

Nov.15: TOR vs NYR

1. Bozak
  2. Bernier
  3. Hunwick
  4. Bernier

Final score: 4-3 NYR.

1: Bozak with the giveaway. 2: Weakest goal of the season by Bernier. 3: Hunwick loses his coverage in front of the net. 4: Bernier gives out a ridiculous juicy rebound on a long, soft shot from the point.

Terrible game by Bernier. He cost the Leafs this game. Please tell me Reimer has taken the #1 job away from him. :mellow:

Nov.15: TOR vs NYR

1. Bozak
  2. Bernier
  3. Hunwick
  4. Bernier

Final score: 4-3 NYR.

1: Bozak with the giveaway. 2: Weakest goal of the season by Bernier. 3: Hunwick loses his coverage in front of the net. 4: Bernier gives out a ridiculous juicy rebound on a long, soft shot from the point.

Terrible game by Bernier. He cost the Leafs this game. Please tell me Reimer has taken the #1 job away from him. :mellow:

And the number two job as well! Seriously. If they put him on waivers to send him down to the Marlies, that would be OK with me. It's not likely anyone would claim him, but that would be mean to the Marlies....

And the number two job as well! Seriously. If they put him on waivers to send him down to the Marlies, that would be OK with me. It's not likely anyone would claim him, but that would be mean to the Marlies....

I would like to see Bernier given the "backup" treatment for awhile, but I suspect ownership is going to go right back to him as the #1 guy. Bernier came in here and was given the #1 job outright. He never had to win it. Reimer has quietly backed him up for years now. Why not go with Reimer and use Bernier to make occasional starts when Reimer needs a day off? I think their roles should be flipped because Reimer has more upside than Bernier. Reimer's best games are more spectacular than Bernier's best games.  :)

but I suspect ownership is going to go right back to him as the #1 guy.

Except it makes no sense. If Reimer is playing as well as everyone says he is, they (as in Babcock) will go with Reimer. They simply have to,

Except it makes no sense. If Reimer is playing as well as everyone says he is, they (as in Babcock) will go with Reimer. They simply have to,

You're right. It makes no sense, unless you paid a lot of money for a guy named Bernier and you subscribe to the theory that this team is going to play him no matter what happens -- just to get their money's worth out of him.

It's like how Kessel was still getting 20 minutes of ice time per game last season, no matter how many mistakes he made from lazy defensive play or how long his goal scoring slump was. He never got benched because he was the highest paid player.  :(

Archived