Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2015-2016

WordsOfWisdom

@WordsOfWisdom

But Babcock would go along with it?

I don't think the head coach in any pro sports league has much of a choice anymore. The GM gives you a particular group of players and you're essentially stuck with them. If they happen to be "star" players, then the head coach is forced to play them. If a star player is ever unhappy, it's the coach that gets fired. The days of "sending a message" to players (unless it comes from the GM) seem to be over. (Granted, Bernier is not a "star" player... but he's paid like the starting goalie on the Leafs.)

I can imagine management saying to Babcock: "We're paying x million dollars for Bernier, he's not going to sit on the bench."  :(

If Babcock continues to go with Reimer for example, we're going to hear the inevitable whining and subsequent trade demand from Bernier that will be all too predictable.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he was completely screened on the goal.....

Fact is, the guys looked REALLY GOOD last night. To be honest, I'm not sure if this is real.  :confused[1]:

Can this continue? If it does, we will have a shot at the play-offs..... :unsure[1]:

I thought he was completely screened on the goal.....

Fact is, the guys looked REALLY GOOD last night. To be honest, I'm not sure if this is real.  :confused[1]:

Can this continue? If it does, we will have a shot at the play-offs..... :unsure[1]:

I looked to see if there was a screen or deflection but it seemed to me like the shot just fooled him, which happens sometimes.

Babcock will win the Jack Adams award if this team makes the playoffs. They are playing like a completely different team right now. I'm not sure if this is real either. Maybe I fell and hit my head. :unsure[1]:

I think Reimer raised his in-game save percentage for the 7th game in a row. It's an amazing run they're on. :D

That was as close to a perfect road game as this team can get IMHO. Carolina played really hard all the game through and our guys just battled and battled. The best part is that they were rewarded in the end with the two points.  :P

You could tell that Carolina's attitude was there was no way they could lose on home ice to the lowly Leafs. Gotta love it! :thumbsu:  

That was as close to a perfect road game as this team can get IMHO. Carolina played really hard all the game through and our guys just battled and battled. The best part is that they were rewarded in the end with the two points.  :P

You could tell that Carolina's attitude was there was no way they could lose on home ice to the lowly Leafs. Gotta love it! :thumbsu:  

The Leafs have really clamped down on GA. They have become a very difficult team to score on. They rocked Carolina like a Hurricane lol.  :P

Still?

This is the beauty of the DE stat: Four out of the five Leafs players were doing their job on that play and covering someone. JVR was way down in the corner with Hunwick trying to double team the Bruins player. That left the point guy wide open. Komarov was the only guy watching the points, but he can't cover them both. Thus, JVR's mistake resulted in that goal. In terms of +/-, everyone on the ice got a "-" for that play -- classic guilt by association. So if using the +/- stat is like cutting something with a bread knife, the DE stat is a scalpel by comparison. 

(Sorry, shameless plug.)  :wub[1]:

Definitely an off game by nearly everybody and we still only lost 1-0 (empty netter).

I'm betting Babcock is not happy and the boys will hear about it (particularly JVR).

Come on @flyercanuck, it's a hangover from his Flyer days.... ;)

Definitely some slippage in the shots allowed department recently. They are starting to lean too heavily on the goalie again. Reimer is still playing his way into the Vezina conversation. It's amazing.  :)

Updated leaderboard including TPM (True +/-) Scores:

post-1448-0-30308400-1448208640_thumb.pn

Since some of you haven't seen the full stat board yet, here is a quick guide:

• EPGA = Defensive Errors Per Game Average (over a 60 minute game)
  • TPM = True +/- (Points - Defensive Errors)

What the current leaderboard tells us:

• Bozak is the best Leafs skater right now overall.  (+10)
  • Hunwick and Phaneuf are the Leafs top two shutdown defencemen
  • Rielly is the Leafs best defenceman overall (+7)

Nov.23: TOR vs BOS

1. Reimer
  2. Reimer
  3. Harrington, Reimer
  4. Shootout

Final score: 4-3 (SO) BOS.

Yikes! Bad game by Reimer. A bad giveaway leads to the first goal. The second goal needs to be stopped. On the third goal, Harrington made an awful giveaway behind the net, but then Reimer didn't properly cover the puck, which resulted in an easy tap in goal.  :mellow:

Unbelievable. Your list should read: Reimer, Reimer, Reimer and Reimer.

We were every bit as good as they were. What does Babcock do now? What do you say to the guys who bought in and worked hard for 60 minutes?

When will this management do something about the goaltending?!! Will they put Bernier back in? Good grief. I sure hope not. 

Jeeeez. One goalie lets in softies, the other makes stupid mistakes. Bring up Sparks or Bibeau already...... grrr :angry: . 

Unbelievable. Your list should read: Reimer, Reimer, Reimer and Reimer.

We were every bit as good as they were. What does Babcock do now? What do you say to the guys who bought in and worked hard for 60 minutes?

When will this management do something about the goaltending?!! Will they put Bernier back in? Good grief. I sure hope not. 

Jeeeez. One goalie lets in softies, the other makes stupid mistakes. Bring up Sparks or Bibeau already...... grrr :angry: . 

Well this was his first bad game in quite some time. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with him or go back to Bernier.  :unsure[1]:

I just came here to do this, but see that @BluPuk had the same thought.

Upon further review..... I will change goal #2 to Reimer, for the following reason:

• Gardiner does pick up the other forward coming into the zone.
  • Phaneuf does take away the center of the ice and angles the forward off (as he should)
  • Teams expect the goalie to make that save.

So Reimer goes 3 for 3. An ugly night to be sure.  :o

FYI: Shootout goals aren't defensive errors.

Nov.28: TOR vs WSH

1. Phaneuf, Bernier
  2. Rielly
  3. Kadri
  4. Phaneuf

Final score: 4-2 WSH.

1: Phaneuf out of position causes a partial 2-on-1. Still a weak goal however. 2: Rielly with a terrible giveaway. 3: Kadri with the penalty. 4: Phaneuf with the penalty.

Well folks, we got the tank out of the swamp it was stuck in and we're rollin' again!  :D

Archived