Top Defensive Players by Defensive Errors - Leafs Leaders - 2015-2016

WordsOfWisdom

So with penalties, does a player who took a so-called "good" penalty by stopping a sure goal still score a DE?

It's only a DE if the opposing team scores on the ensuing power play. There are no "good" or "bad" penalties in the eyes of this stat, only offsetting and non-offsetting. Any penalty that puts your team down a player puts you at risk of getting charged with a DE. (Teams have a funny way of killing off "good" penalties though.)

Similarly, can a player killing a penalty ever score a DE for, say, failing to clear the puck or something?

Yes, (sort of). The player in the penalty box gets one for sure. The goalie gets one too if it's a soft goal. If one of the penalty killers commits some other infraction (giveaway, turnover), then they would get one as well. The penalty killers are given some "leeway" in the sense that we know they're outnumbered and under pressure. We know they're trying to ice the puck to kill time. It would have to be an outrageous mistake before a penalty killer got caught with a defensive error.

:)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dec.15: TOR vs TB

1. Grabner, Rielly
  2. Bozak, Spaling
  3. Polak
  4. Lupul, Matthias
  5. Bozak, Parenteau

Final score: 5-4 (OT) TB.

Welcome back Bernier!   :thumbsu:  Have another L. 

Comments: Grabner with the giveaway and both he and Rielly are way out of position on the first goal. Why is Polak still playing? This guy sucks. It's not the forward's job to take your man Polak. Lupul: throw a damn bodycheck for christ sake! He has the guy lined up in the trolley tracks for a big hit and bails on it to do a weak ass stick check. The guy skates around him and Matthias like pylons and flips it at the net for the screened shot goal on #4. True, it shouldn't have gone in from there, but he never should have got that shot. 

Dec.15: TOR vs TB

1. Grabner, Rielly
  2. Bozak, Spaling
  3. Polak
  4. Lupul, Matthias
  5. Bozak, Parenteau

Final score: 5-4 (OT) TB.

Welcome back Bernier! :thumbsu: Have another L.

Comments: Grabner with the giveaway and both he and Rielly are way out of position on the first goal. Why is Polak still playing? This guy sucks. It's not the forward's job to take your man Polak. Lupul: throw a damn bodycheck for christ sake! He has the guy lined up in the trolley tracks for a big hit and bails on it to do a weak ass stick check. The guy skates around him and Matthias like pylons and flips it at the net for the screened shot goal on #4. True, it shouldn't have gone in from there, but he never should have got that shot.

Buds give up 5 and Bernier gets not a single DE?!

[trade him, his value will never be higher]

Buds give up 5 and Bernier gets not a single DE?!

Hard to believe but yep. Every goal was either a breakaway, 2-on-1, or a screened shot. He never had a chance with the way the team played in front of him last night. The goal he allowed on shot #2 of the game was a total breakaway. It's one of those times where the score doesn't really tell you everything about how the goalie played. The Leafs were losing assignments, running around chasing the puck, and were just plain awful defensively that game, especially later in the game when the Bolts really got going. Bernier certainly didn't play well, but he wasn't responsible for any of those goals.   :(

[trade him, his value will never be higher]

He'll be on the Canadiens within a week. (Whenever Reimer comes back.)  Sorry, it never gets old lol.  :P  

Dec.17: TOR vs SJ

1. Parenteau
  2. Hunwick
  3. Hunwick, Lupul
  4. Hunwick, Rielly, Winnik
  5. Holland, Komarov

Final score: 5-4 (OT) SJ.

Bernier = L!  :thumbsu:

Hunwick had a terrible game. He and Parenteau get caught taking penalties early, then a giveaway later leads to another goal, and finally the missed coverage in front of the net. Holland gets his first DE of the season on an unlucky bounce. Komarov allowed Burns to just walk right in and fire the shot. Winnik and Rielly were both out of position and got beat to the puck on the play led to goal #4.

Deja vu all over again. A tasty L for Bernier and now Sparks is injured.  :blink[1]: 

We certainly had our chances to score and could not - even on a couple of gimmies. That's the old LOFT problem.

What's really sad for me is that I do not see ANY saviours for this team. Nylander? No heart, no compete, no backcheck, no toughness. Oh, he'll score some goals, but in the end will make NO difference. He is not a leader and he doesn't care who he plays for. So many out there seem to think he's a saviour....

Marner? He will play in junior again next year. He is too small to have an impact in the NHL.

I just hope we don't get a top 2 pick in the draft because I'm concerned we will become the next Edmonton.....

And now we are forced to play a goalie that we don't want to play and who is mentally shot. He seems to find a way to lose (actually the whole team seems to work on that). 

We certainly had our chances to score and could not - even on a couple of gimmies. That's the old LOFT problem.

Agree 100%. I've seen enough of this team this season. They don't have it. They're missing talent everywhere. There's no impact forward. No #1 line. No shutdown D-pairing that can be relied on. The #1 goalie has a paper mache body. The #2 goalie just got injured last night. The #3 goalie is finished as an NHL goalie.

I realize these are close games they're losing, but every game is "close" these days, and they're in last place.

Marner? He will play in junior again next year. He is too small to have an impact in the NHL.

What a difference a #1 or 2 makes from #4 (or whatever we drafted). Terrible pick. Why in the blue hell would this team select a small forward in a big man's league? They should have grabbed a defenceman. They never learn.

I just hope we don't get a top 2 pick in the draft because I'm concerned we will become the next Edmonton.....

In many ways I think we're worse. They finally got their McJesus. Edmonton has hope. There's no saviour in Toronto.  :(

Yep I agree WOW. I thought our 'savior' would be the 1 - 2 punch of Shanny with Babcock. Now they have papa Lou. WTF? I had hoped that we were done with picking up everybody else's re-treads.

It looks like Babcock is not making the decisions on who is playing when. What a serious mistake that is IMHO. I am sooo pissed off right now..... :angry:

Give us a break....

(I'm waiting for @Podein25 to comment on Bernier not getting a defensive error despite allowing 5 goals again lol.)

;)

Acually, Bernie only let in 3 of those and none were bad IMO. And you know how critical of goaltending I am.

Can we give Shanny one??  :P

Solid 60 minutes!! The boys really played for Bernie, and that's a good thing (because it looks like he will be the starter for forseeable future). Wish they would bring that game every night. 

Solid 60 minutes!! The boys really played for Bernie, and that's a good thing (because it looks like he will be the starter for forseeable future). Wish they would bring that game every night. 

heh. yeah the team played well for once. Nice to See Bernier get a win for once. But once you are in Babcock's doghouse, it is very hard to get out. To say he is on thin ice is an understatement. Bernier is standing on wet toilet paper

Dec.22: TOR vs AZA

1. Rielly
  2. Froese, Polak
  3. Bernier, Rielly, Matthias

Final score: 3-2 AZA.

1: Lost coverage by Rielly. A bit of a bad break to be sure.

2: Giveaway by Froese and then Polak lets his guy go to the net for the rebound.

3: Rielly is out of position, Matthias should be covering the point man but gets stuck down in the corner, and Bernier lets in a goal that shouldn't go in.

Merry Christmas folks!  :D

Archived