2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning - Electric Blue

Sat Oct 17, 2015

Buffalo @ Tampa Bay

Final: Lightning 2, Sabres 1

This is sorta becoming a recurring theme with the Bolts:

Team doesn't play particularly well, yet come out with the win.

How long can TB continue to go about business like this? You gotta think at some point, they will be on the receiving end of some really ugly losses if they continue to play a 35-45 minute game against opponents.

Team just overall seems to be lethargic, off on their passing and positioning, and just prone to very basic mistakes during the course of any given game, including this one.

Buffalo outplayed the Bolts for large portions of the game, definitely outshot them to the tune of 32-22.

Ben Bishop did come up large, as a number goalie should, and some Lightning players (Vladi Namestnikov and Alex Killorn with the tallies) got it together just long enough to get goals that tied, then won the game respectively for the team.

The Sabres came to play, no doubt and they were the cause of some of the Lightning's troubles throughout the game.

But just overall, this Tampa Bay squad just doesn't look a whole lot like one that will make another run to the Finals.

Whatever the issue is, I am sure Coach Jon Cooper, his staff, and the players themselves are trying to find remedies.

Until they do, I will take solace in these things:

---Bolts, like last year, can put a stop to a two game losing streak and not allowing it to run to three.

---Despite overall lackluster team play, the team STILL finds a way to eek out a win, especially against a feisty, but lower tiered team like the Sabres.

Hey, what can I say, except that it is better to be lethargic, yet clawing out a victory in some fashion, than to be lethargic and be in the middle of a freefall, losing game after game while the team "figures it out".

---Certain players ARE taking strides forward. Stumbling around at times, but exhibiting definite progress towards becoming TB and NHL regulars.

Jonathan Drouin comes to mind IMMEDIATELY....but others like Vladi Namestnikov, Nikta Nesterov (despite his current two game suspension), and JT Brown, toiling away on the bottom six as always, has been giving maximum effort and been a thorn to teams whenever he is on the ice.

---Ben Bishop has been able to pick up his team, for the most part, when they needed him to...and vice versa. At SOME point, the team will be in sync, firing on all cylinders, and THEN we will see what kind of team the Bolts really are. But for now, I will take singular heroes here and there.

---The team is getting closer to Andrej Vasilevskiy's return. So far, Bishop has been carrying the weight of goaltending on his own....no need yet to put Kevin Poulin in. But for how long? Hopefully, long enough to where Vasilveskiy is able to resume his duties as an NHL netminder.

Tampa Bay now embarks, starting Tuesday, on a very tough, week long road trip through the Central Division.

Starting in Nashville, TN...then have stops in Winnipeg, MB...Chicago, IL...and finishing in St. Louis, MO.

While the road trip will no doubt be grinding (and quite unfriendly to ANY lethargic starts), it also offers an opportunity for the team, being away from their home arena, to bond, just focus on hockey and camaraderie, and attempt to fix what ails them as a group before returning to the home fans at the end of the month.

In other news, Nikita Nesterov will serve the final game of his two game suspension Tuesday while the team plays the Predators....and still no time table for Victor Hedman's return, according to team sources, although they have said he does NOT have a concussion (outstanding). Hedman is simply listed as having the nebulous "upper body injury".

In the meantime, Andrej Sustr and Slater Koekkoek will continue to get ice time in Nesterov's and Hedman's steads.

Team note and a 'sorta' update, from NBC Sports:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/18/hedman-heading-back-bolts-demote-koekkoek/

Seems Slater Koekkoek, who was called up due to Victor Hedman being injured, was sent back to AHL Syracuse today.

The article makes it plain that this isn't an official Lightning announcement, but rather, all signs point to Hedman being able to play in the Bolts' next game on Tuesday in Nashville.

No other D-men will be called up at this time, and the Lightning normally carry 7 D....but of course, Nikita Nesterov will be serving his final game of his suspension on Tuesday.

This will leave 6 D, INCLUDING Victor Hedman, available to the Bolts for the game against the Preds.

Good news, good news, good news!

And just in time too......that tour through the Central will be no joke.

Tues, Oct 20, 2015

Tampa Bay @ Nashville

Final: Predators 5, Lightning 4 (SO)

Quite an entertaining game. Lots of back n forth, chances to score on both sides.

Slowly but surely the Lightning seem to be rounding into consistent form. Not a bad effort overall, though obviously the end result wasn't what fans wanted.

Bolts let some nice opportunities to score go by the boards, while also defending against some very good Predators chances....Ben Bishop could have had a better game, but having said that, he also came up with some big saves that could have had the game out of reach for the Lightning had he not.

James Neal had a monster game for the Preds. The guy was doing everything, hitting setting plays up, and scoring.

Preds jumped out to a lead, Bolts came back and tied, then took the lead themselves, and from there, it was Bolts lead, Preds tie....until regulation was over.

And James Neal seemed to be in the middle of everything.

The 3 on 3 was quite good, with big time chances for both sides.

Bishop and Rinne dueled here turning aside chances that probably would have scored on mere mortal goalies ;)

The ensuing shoot out, however, saw Pekka Rinne make one better save than Bishop as the Preds took that 1-0 for the win.

As for Bolts players...

Steve Stamkos, along with linemates Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Drouin seem to be developing quite the chemistry together. Each of those three guys brings something different to the table, but from the looks of it, they are well on their way to making that gel quite well.

I can't wait for this team to be in mid season form, with these guys knowing each other quite well, and seeing what they can do on a nightly basis as they push for a playoff spot.

Having Stammers line to go along with the Triplets will only make things harder to defend, make life easier on the bottom six guys (who are actually doing well in their own right) as teams will load up on trying to stop the top six, and should be the source of wins coming at a more consistent rate.

Right now, it is obvious the team is still working through some execution problems, though things are looking better than when the season first started.

Ironic, seeing as how they were getting wins when they really weren't playing top notch hockey, and now are having some problems getting W's as the team actually is starting to look a bit sharper.

Then again, the three losses so far (Detroit, Dallas, and now Nashville) were also the result of the opposition having stellar games. So props must be given to the competition.

Up next for the Lightning, they continue on the road and things won't be getting easier.

Winnipeg...yes, the HOT Winnipeg Jets are next on the schedule Friday night.

Took a bit of a sabbatical from this thread, but time to get back to it.

Bolts have been involved in three straight OT/SO games...losing two, winning one...and their play, as a whole has been ok at best, mediocre at worst.

Time to step it up against tonight's opponent, the beat up St. Louis Blues.

Blues won't have Schwartz, no Shattenkirk, no Stastney, and no Berglund.

Brian Elliot is ill and thus Jake Allen, who struggled earlier this season, gets the start tonight, and St. Louis will just be getting back tonight Scottie Upshall and Robbi Fabbri.

TB has their own nagging injuries (Brian Boyle is questionable, Cedric Paquette is out), but overall, the Lightning are the healthier team here, they played pretty good in their OT loss to the Hawks, and I expect the team to come out strong.

The Triplets line, having been kinda mediocre to start the season, really needs to pick things up. Ondrej Palat has been alright, but Nikita Kucherov and especially Tyler Johnson, need to make their presence felt in this game.

Even at full strength, the Blues cannot match the kind of speed the Bolts can display.....being down some key pieces, I expect the Bolts, and especially the Triplets, to take advantage of this.

Once TB's second Triplets line gets going, that will certainly open up even more ice for Stamkos' top line of himself, Jonathan Drouin, and Ryan Callahan.

It's a chain reaction/domino effect type deal here, people.

Triplets work, Stamkos' line works better, and then, while teams overload trying to stop those lines, Valteri Filppula, Alex Killorn, and Vladi Namestnikov on the third line (that line is good enough to be many teams' SECOND line) can be problematic for teams as well.

Entering tonight, the Bolts' D is fully healthy and in fact, Jon Cooper was quoted saying that if Brian Boyle can't play, the Lightning will roll out 7 defensemen and 11 forwards.

7 D means, Hedman-Stralman on the top pair, Garrison-Coburn on the second pair, Carle-Sustr on the 3rd pair, and Nikita Nesterov floating around between 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pair, depending on the situations.

Ben Bishop gets the start, Kristers Gudlevskis will back him up (good game by Kristers in a losing effort in Chicago by the way), but, good news for fans, Andrej Vasilevskiy has begun skating and is working his way back to the lineup sooner than later.

Bolts are 1-0-2 so far on this road trip...they have a chance, with a win, to make it a .500 trip.

While that sounds underwhelming, keep in mind this run  on the road through the Central Division, is tough for ANYONE, and if the bolts can get 2 wins out of the 4 games (while still garnering points even in the two losses due to OT/SO), I'd call that a successful road trip.

First things first though.

TB needs to take care of business against Jake Allen in net for the Blues tonight.

I really feel the Bolts have the edge here, but still, Blues boast some pretty good players still in the lineup in the forms of David Backes, Vladimir Tarasenko, Troy Brouer, and Alex Steen, just to name a few.

Then you have the typical Blues bruising style, and the kind of 4th line of Steve Ott - Kyle Brodziak - Ryan Reeves, to really play that style to a T.

Let's show these Blues why you are the Eastern Champions, Tampa Bay...they are ripe for the picking, all ya gotta do is crank up the speed, crank up the determination, and make sure you execute.

Go Bolts!

Valteri Filppula, Alex Killorn, and Vladi Namestnikov on the third line (that line is good enough to be many teams' SECOND line)

Totally agree. Nice to have a vet like Flips (what's his nickname? 'cause that's terrible right there) in between the two youngsters. Nice combo of smarts and skills on that line

HEY BISHOP.

Mfwpeoplesaykimjongildidntinventthehambu

I am calling you out big man!

Get your @$#%# together and stop Efffing up my fantasy scores! I won despite your sieve play because my opponent only had 2 of 3 goalie starts last week

I'd have to agree...I'd like to see more stability out of him from game to game.

Maybe he is the type of guy who needs "pushing" by his back up.

Vasilevskiy did that quite well last season, but with him out, that has left Bishop to get all the starts himself, due to the Bolts NOT wanting to start Kevin Poulin.

Now that Poulin is in the AHL, Kristers Gudlevski will be given his chance to "push" for Bishop's job.

Bottom line though...Ben Bishop is still The Man  in net till TB decides he is no longer the number one...and he needs to play like it.

Some brilliant play mixed in with some really questionable play make him a mixed bag right now.

And the Bolts don't want any kinds of bags, mixed or not, in their net.

They want a number one goalie.....like that guy that backstopped them to some real big wins in the playoffs last season.

Hopefully, he shows up tonight from start to finish against the Blues.

One thing I have noticed with Bishop, and correct me if I am wrong but he seems to play to the level of his competition. When playing a big time team he brings a big time game, when playing a poor, uninspired team he often brings an uninspired game. A lot of goalies are the opposite, they run up their stats against the weaker sisters in the league but Bishop from what I have witnessed seems to do the opposite.

I do not like the way he whines constantly. Just sayin, he is like Getzlaf and Perry rolled into one with that, chirping is one thing, acting like a crybaby every single time a goal is scored against like the only reason the other team scored was because a man was in the crease seems to be his thing. Very annoying. Great player, no need for all of that, but it may be a case of to keep his confidence up he has to look for blame when a goal is scored. I mean they all do it but he seems to do it all of the time.

What's wrong with Kucherov?

Nothing wrong with him physically.

He is just off to a slow start like the rest of the Triplets Line.

Thing is, I believe Kucherov to be the MOST affected by a slow start from this line.

If one were to pick a "weak link" on the Triplets, I would say it's Kuchy. Good enough player, just 22 with tons of room for improvement, but he relies the most, IMO, from his linemates play than vice versa.

Tyler Johnson, especially when hot, can carry a line....Ondrej Palat, well, you could put that guy with just about anyone, and he will be equally effective as a good two way, hard nosed player......Kucherov?  He NEEDS either Palat or Johnson (or both) to be playing well for HIM to play his game well.

Once his linemates pick it up, he will too.

But for now, with Johnson goal-less and Palat off to an ok, but not spectacular start, Kucherov's game is taking a hit.

Tues, Oct 27, 2015

Tampa Bay @ St. Louis

Final: Blues 2, Lightning 0

And the offensive woes continue for the Lightning.

They outplayed and outskated the Blues for large portions of the game, but the Blues got it where it counted and that was on the scoreboard.

The Triplets line of Palat-Johnson-Kucherov continue to scuffle about...the PP continues to be either pedestrian or plain non existent...and this is all having an effect on all the lines 1-4.

Chances are being generated, but too many posts are being hit, too many shots shanked, and too many open nets not taken advantage of.

Might be a mental thing at this point, but its one this team is simply going to have to gut out till they find their groove again.

Goaltending has been a bit of an issue with Bishop not playing his absolute best yet, but I am willing to bet that if the team had been scoring like it is capable of, then the offense could have easily covered up the less than stellar goaltending.

That isn't to say the goaltending in TB has been awful. It hasn't. Just not up to championship caliber standards.

But right now, believe it or not, that is not the most pressing thing.

The biggest deal now is getting the offense on a consistent track...particularly the 2nd line.

Not gonna take away the validity of the Blues' win (TB would have taken a win by any means necessary), but honestly, St. Louis did NOTHING special against the Lightning and outside of a few great plays by some of their players, didn't overly impress me with their skating and overall 60 minute game.

But when you are Tampa Bay and you aren't putting any goals up on the board (second time being shut out...in consecutive games no less), then ANY bit an opposing team can do will be enough to beat ya.

Blues did what Blues do: run into people, lane clog, take advantage of a sleepy offense of the opponent.

Nothing wrong with any of that mind you...but none of that screams "superior" to me either.

Bolts got a two game home stand coming up against two teams they should beat: The Colorado Avalanche tonight and the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

I like the Avs match up for the Bolts because Colorado has had trouble building and maintaining leads.

Semyon Varlamov and his defense have been a bit porous with coverage and stopping of pucks, to put it mildly.

They represent the perfect opportunity tonight for the Bolts to heal their ailing offensive woes.

Then again, if they continue to sleepwalk offensively, and if the goaltending isn't 5-star caliber to cover for it, the Avs can easily bury you by the 2nd period with the offensive talent THEY have.

We will see if tonight is the night the Triplets line gets going.

Or even better, Stammers top line, with he, Drouin and Ryan Callahan, go on a tear, opening up space in coverage against for the 2nd Triplets line...which in turn will have the effect of giving the bottom six guys (decent offensive guys in thier own right..especially the 3rd line of Filppula, Killorn, Namestnikov) even more chances to light the lamp themselves.

Avs- Bolts... 7:30EST at Amalie Arena in downtown Tampa tonight.

Go Bolts, GO!

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Is it time to mix up the lines a bit? Separate the triplets, find some new chemistry somewhere? Switch Drouin and Kucherov or something

Actually, you know what?

THAT is actually not a bad idea.

I've actually suggested that amongst other TB Lightning fans and they thought I was insane. I suggested they do that last season.

Because Drouin was struggling to score goals on the 4th line with Boyle and Morrow, I thought he could benefit from being on a wing with Johnson as his center and Palat on the other wing.

Also, Vladi Namestnikov filled in for Tyler Johnson between Palat and Kucherov and did pretty well there too.

For now, I'd leave Drouin on the top line with Stamkos, but maybe swap Callahan on the top line with Palat, move him up, move Callahan down to the 3rd line with Filppula and Killorn, and move Namestnikov into Palat's spot as Names can play center or wing.

Yep...I'd do it.

Especially since the original Triplets are collectively struggling.

Perhaps teams are now clued into those guys and they haven't adjusted properly.

Some mixing may help with that.

I can hear the know-it-all Bolts fans on places like HFboards...."Ooohhh, you can't split up the Triplets"...."Baahhhahahaha...you moronic woman you...you know nothing" :)

Hey, maybe the Triplets sort themselves eventually...but I tell you what, when a team like the Bolts get flippin SHUT OUT for two straight games, SOME damned thing's gotta get re-arranged!

Hah...and if they think my idea of splitting up the Triplets is horrid, I wonder if they would jump off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge if I clue them in on an idea I had to keep Stamkos, Hedman, ONE of the Triplets (Palat), AND a top tier goalie (probably Vasy) to keep the Bolts competitive for years to come....but, ahem...it involves trading Johnson, Kucherov, and Bishop...or simply letting Bish play out his two seasons then walk.

Nope. I won't mention that. They'd blow out their left n*t..... :lol:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Writing on the wall for Carle!!!

http://thehockeywriters.com/writing-on-the-wall-for-matt-carle/

I know this breaks your heart! :ph34r:

Oh, if true, breaks my heart into teenie, tiny pieces....microscopic in fact....... :ph34r:

And my apologies to those who have been following my Bolts season thread, have been lax in it lately....just all sorts of crazy stuff going on at home.

I will recap the last couple games soon, cover whatever is going on now, and have some more team updates.

In the meantime, I thank @OccamsRazor for this bit of good news....errrr, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE news that my hero Matt Carle may no longer be a Bolt..............

Oh, if true, breaks my heart into teenie, tiny pieces....microscopic in fact....... :ph34r:

And my apologies to those who have been following my Bolts season thread, have been lax in it lately....just all sorts of crazy stuff going on at home.

I will recap the last couple games soon, cover whatever is going on now, and have some more team updates.

In the meantime, I thank @OccamsRazor for this bit of good news....errrr, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE news that my hero Matt Carle may no longer be a Bolt..............

I would swap you Vinny for Carle right now. That is how sad our blueline has become.

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've neglected this thread long enough.

Truth is, not much has been different with this Lightning team this year, except that, perhaps, Ben Bishop is rounding into a real nice Vezina candidate, despite starting the season off a bit shaky.

Not that anyone would notice, because all the attention in TB is on "Is Stamkos going to sign?" and "What's wrong with the offense?"

Those are certainly big and valid concerns, but unfortunately, lost in all that, is the fact that Ben Freakin Bishop sits currently with a 1.99 GAA (3rd in the NHL), a .929 sv % (tied for 5th in the NHL), spread out over over 1200 minutes played (good for 9th in the entire NHL).

But its the same ol, same ol to this point for this team: they just don't score.

Granted, lots of important pieces have been in and out of the lineup all year (Johnson, Drouin, Paquette, Palat), but still, this team SHOULD have the depth to make up for it....especially when it still has the likes of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Garrison, Filppula, Callahan, and Killorn healthy for the most part and ready to go!

Ironically, the Lightning are only top ten, as a team, in the one area where they are not really known for: Goals against...where the team is ranked 4th.

Other categories, such as Goals For, PP%, and PK%, they are ranked 22nd or worse, in the league.

Unbelievable.

For a team with the players this team has.

Oh, but there is Ben Bishop, helping to keep his team in things...and likely THE single biggest reason this team is 4th in keeping goals OUT of the net.

Bolts are on a bit of a nice streak these days.

They've won 4 of their last 6 games and started out this current California road trip with a gritty 2-1 win over the Ducks on Wed night.

They roll into San Jose tonight hoping the offense finally strikes a spark.

Bolts will still likely be without Johnson and Paquette.....Palat is a definite no-play....but the club does get Nikita Nesterov (a Jason Garrison-like, booming shot, booming hit type of young D-man), and Jonathan Drouin, who seems to have picked up his game a bit since returning from IR.

There is opportunity here for the Bolts.

They face a Sharks team who followed up an impressive 6-game, 6-win East Coast swing with losing 3 of its last 4 since returning to the left coast.

In two of those losses, San Jose gave up 5 goals to teams that (whaddya know) can SCORE goals...or at least traditionally can (Pittsburgh, Chicago).

So bottom line is...if the Bolts continue to play decent defense, Bishop plays like he as, and the TB offense actually does THEIR jobs, a win could very well be had in San Jose tonight.

Let's see what happens.

But really, this "Bolts  not scoring" schtick has gotten way past old......

Also, congrats are in order for head coach Jon Cooper, who was just re-signed to a multi-year contract extension by the Lightning.

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=791033

It will be interesting to see what effects, if any, this has on the Stamkos talks.

Yzerman is saying one has nothing to do with the other, but then again, Yzerman also said, he and Stamkos' agent will be keeping the negociations all behind closed doors too....so don't expect much news (but expect PLENTY of speculation from those who claim to know everything), as this goes along, unless its something to announce an agreement  has been reached with Stammer's camp.

As for Jon Cooper, I like the re-sign.

The man has done pretty good overall in managing the talent on the Tampa Bay roster.

The perfect young and still learning coach to go along with a young and still learning core group of players.

Some may point out some "rifts" between Stamkos and Cooper...but all that, of course is speculation.

Unless those people are sitting behind a false wall in Cooper's office or in the TB locker room, all they CAN do is speculate.

Coach Cooper has a winning track record at all levels of coaching he has been in and I would love to see him win a championship (Stanley Cup that is....he already accomplished an Eastern Championship last season) while the head coach of this Lightning group.

And I am sure he, above all, would like Stamkos along for the ride as well.

Glad to have you stay on board, Coach Cooper.

Now.....help sort out the enigma that has been the Tampa Bay offense, so the team can surge ahead and then get a shot at winning hockey's greatest prize!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived