The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

@yave1964

@J0e Th0rnton

I'm gonna cry.  Been away all weekend with my wife on a couples retreat only to come back and find out that I have 3 players on DTD and that 2 of them are my goalies.  :angry::hocky:

I am having the WORST week of the year and of course it had to happen the week before our playoffs start.  Talk about crappy timing.  You can't win when your goalies don't play.  Gonna chalk this week up to a loss.   And it looks pretty certain I'm gonna lose in the Bantam League this week and thus severely hurt my chances of making the playoffs  there. 

At least my wife and I had fun this past weekend with our friends. :)

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ruxpin

In the All Star League I have Anderson and Allen.  Of course Allen was hurt for most January and February and I got by with Anderson.  Now Anderson is freakin hurt!  I had started Anderson this week thinking he had the easier schedule between him and Allen.  I have a whopping 3.4 totally points from my goalies this week. :angry:

In the Bantam League I also have Lundqvist.  I also have Elliot (who is now out for season) and Mrazek (who was hurt earlier this week).  So at last minute I picked up Condon (did not have to research goalies at the time).  Well that was an EPIC FAIL.   :DohSmiley:So I dropped Condon for next week and picked up Howard.

My goalies are KILLING ME this week! :growl:

20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

My goalies are KILLING ME this week!

So I have Lundqvist and Dubnyk in NAHANA.  I mentioned above I traded goalies from "strength," and traded away Bishop and Luongo.  I ended up with Dubnyk in the deals and also Crosby and Zuccarello.  (I'm not sure if Bryan Little came in those deals or a separate one with @yave1964.  You can see how well THAT went for me.   On the otherhand, he got O'Reilly, so...   Actually, I think that was separate deal now that I'm typing, but I'll leave it here anyway) 

I'm locked in a death battle this week with HF.  I'm losing in wins (this is head-to-head, by the way) 4 for HF, 3 for me.   I had both Lundqvist and Dubnyk going today with no goalies going for HF.   So when Lundqvist went down, I grabbed Raanta thinking if just one of them grabbed a win I could pull off a tie in that category (and likely a tie for the week) or if by dumb luck they both won, then I'd maybe sneak out of a week with a win I probably didn't deserve.   Raanta, of course, is currently losing 4-3 after ONE period.  The guy couldn't stop a beach ball today.  This may come down to Dubnyk, so let's say I'm not exactly optimistic.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Well, I was really concerned about how my offense stacked up against @hf101 , in particular, in NAHANA, so I traded from goaltending strength to improve the offense.  But now, I turned a strength into what I think is a glaring weakness.

I'm telling you, if I don't accidentally back into 2nd place in the regular season (and, therefore, don't get a first round bye), I don't see the Crips finishing higher than 5th (6th without a little luck).

I'm getting pounded in goal this week by HF--who really is doing goaltending with smoke and mirrors all season--and dropped way too many goal categories against @J0e Th0rnton (no offense, J0e, but even you commented similarly at the time).   Grrr.

Duh. I played trap with Talbot and Scrivens lol.

Step one. Pray they have a good opening night game each. Step 2 pick one to play the 3rd game to reach weekly minimum and take GAA, Save% and Losses in a split by benching the rest of the week.

Rince, wash, dry, repeat :P

I did the same to yave this week lol. But With Talbot + whichever backup for a good team I could find

On 3/6/2016 at 0:10 PM, yave1964 said:

Actually if you and I both win, spots 3,4 and 5 are still open regardless of how Doc does. real cool race between the three of us for the third spot. I lost last week late Sunday or it would be a bit different.

Good week for you in Nahana, I feel I have a deep and solid team but it is not getting it done right now. Losing the 50-60 faceoffs that O'Reilly gets every week hurts a lot, losing Faulk and his PPP is painful as well.  They are likely two of my keepers for next season and I needed them to come up big. Anderson too, but Hammond did get me a win last night. I need a win from Hammond and big games from my forwards point wise to get a break even week which would still be frustrating but acceptable.

In Philly I am destroying my opponent, he will not have 4 goalie starts and the only two cats he is beating me in are goalie cats, so I am looking at beating him 18-0 which if it holds up will be my first 'shutout' in a couple of years. Third year in the league, three straight Presidents trophies, one cup so far and hopefully this year as well.  Plus the added bonus of breaking HF's all time regular season winning pct. Wrapping that up with a win this week. I have O'Reilly, Lundqvist and Carlson all on IR, only one week left in the regular season and then a first round bye, need everyone to come back for the postseason, if so, I think I will defend my crown.....

neck and neck in a potential first round preview so far yave :P

30 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

neck and neck in a potential first round preview so far yave :P

I saw that, we are (so far) the two top scoring teams on the week. Good luck going forward!

@J0e Th0rnton

@yave1964

With my loss last week, the best I can finish is 4th and the worse I can finish is 5th.  So in reality it does not make a difference if I win or lose this week because the match-up will be #4 vs #5.  Now if I did I worked it out correctly, I believe I will be matched up with the loser of your current match. The winner of your match will be ranked #3 and will probably face either Whisky Sticks / Inside Edge / or Bak.  Currently Bak  is down by 40 to Slick Sticks and Inside Edge and I are neck and neck.  Bak has a 20 point lead on Your wifes a Dyke.

No offense J0e because we are good friends on here, but I match up much better with your team than yave's.  So I have to root for yave to win your current match-up with him.  Sorry bud. ;)

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@J0e Th0rnton

@yave1964

With my loss last week, the best I can finish is 4th and the worse I can finish is 5th.  So in reality it does not make a difference if I win or lose this week because the match-up will be #4 vs #5.  Now if I did I worked it out correctly, I believe I will be matched up with the loser of your current match. The winner of your match will be ranked #3 and will probably face either Whisky Sticks / Inside Edge / or Bak.  Currently Bak  is down by 40 to Slick Sticks and Inside Edge and I are neck and neck.  Bak has a 20 point lead on Your wifes a Dyke.

No offense J0e because we are good friends on here, but I match up much better with your team than yave's.  So I have to root for yave to win your current match-up with him.  Sorry bud. ;)

I made arrangements to be a 1st round nightmare for whoever draws me. I have been preparing for months lol.

Look at my lineup and you might notice that other than Backstrom, who plays 3 games, 100% of my other players play 4 games in round 1, including my goalies :) 

57 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I made arrangements to be a 1st round nightmare for whoever draws me. I have been preparing for months lol.

Look at my lineup and you might notice that other than Backstrom, who plays 3 games, 100% of my other players play 4 games in round 1, including my goalies :)

Same here Joe, almost my entire team has 4 games next week. I have been scanning waivers to replace Jones on defense because he only has 3 games but he has been an assist machine in Columbus so If I have to keep him in the lineup it does not break my heart. But overall, I am set up to hurt someone next week.

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

@yave1964@pilldoc

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. Doc just went on a poweradd streak for 4 games a week guys lol. 6 add/drops in quick succession :P

LOL... I would have been stupid, if I would have not taken the free advice.  Truthfully I never though about it and it is BRILLANT!.  Yeah but I hit my max of moves for the week.  There was still one more move I wanted to make but Klingberg had to get hurt.  Still gonna be a great matchup regardless which one of you guys I get.  Cheers!

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

LOL... I would have been stupid, if I would have not taken the free advice.  Truthfully I never though about it and it is BRILLANT!.  Yeah but I hit my max of moves for the week.  There was still one more move I wanted to make but Klingberg had to get hurt.  Still gonna be a great matchup regardless which one of you guys I get.  Cheers!

For like 5 months, I have been telling TFG "Shhhh. Don't talk to anyone about this strategy. We don't want to tip off everyone".

Then I go and let my pride get the better of me when you declared me the easier matchup you want to face lol. I regretted mentioning it immediately after I saw your first add/drop.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

For like 5 months, I have been telling TFG "Shhhh. Don't talk to anyone about this strategy. We don't want to tip off everyone".

I've been playing max starts most of the season,  lol.

Yeah, I just assumed that most of the active GMs were doing this. I've been rotating, dropping, picking up, etc, all season long, to give myself more at bats each week. Didn't realize it was a big secret.

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

I've been playing max starts most of the season,  lol.

Most people have. But were they stockpiling players they knew played 4 games a week multiple times in the playoffs for months? lol

Even my draft revolved a bit around that. That and faceoff wingers.

On the bright side, Therrien's favorite boy, Desharnais, is injured, so he can no longer play favorites and force Galchenyuk down the lineup.

Gally is responding with 2 goal games left, right and center and taking faceoffs again! Whohoo!

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

Most people have. But were they stockpiling players they knew played 4 games a week multiple times in the playoffs for months? lol

Even my draft revolved a bit around that. That and faceoff wingers.

ah, no I didn't plan that far in advance,  lol.  And that strategy doesn't always work.  I added both Domi and DuClair to maximize starts and lost to you I believe.

I play one week at a time.    :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

ah, no I didn't plan that far in advance,  lol.  And that strategy doesn't always work.  I added both Domi and DuClair to maximize starts and lost to you I believe.

I play one week at a time.    :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

Not me lol.

When I traded zibanejad for suter, all I could see was zibby played 3, 3, 3 and suter played 4, 4, 3 during playoff time and that I had RW covered with pavs and Carter both playing 4 twice.

Most of my bench covers week 2 or 3 of the playoffs hehe

I tried to maximize starts but getting down to the nitty gritty and near the end, I figured most GM's were satisfied by their line-ups.  There were some players I was going back and forth about dropping hoping and praying they would get out of their funk.  This year has played out entirely differently than last year.  However, as many drops or adds we do, the players STILL have to perform.  All it takes is for an injury here or there and you are toast.

35 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Then I go and let my pride get the better of me when you declared me the easier matchup you want to face lol.

LOL..it wasn't meant to be spiteful, I just looked at our 2 previous match-up and the one I lost was close and the other time I beat you , you just had a rough week.  So I figured, yeah, I match up better with J0e instead of yave.  I got crushed by yave the first time around and he beat me by 20 the second time around.  Regardless, it has been a blast knocking heads with you guys.  I had one strategy and you had another. :)

Gosh Darn It!  Another GM has another career day vs me.  Congrats to Leafs Nation for securing the final playoff spot in the Bantam League.  I did the best I could since taking over the team mid-season, but I just did not have that great of team despite the changes I tried to make.  Time to focus on the playoffs starting tomorrow in the All Star League.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Gosh Darn It!  Another GM has another career day vs me.  Congrats to Leafs Nation for securing the final playoff spot in the Bantam League.  I did the best I could since taking over the team mid-season, but I just did not have that great of team despite the changes I tried to make.  Time to focus on the playoffs starting tomorrow in the All Star League.

Too bad for ya, Doc...just fell short, but still, you had a good run after taking over that team that was destined to be sharing the cellar with Team Baker had it stayed under the last GM.

On the flip side, you were just a lame duck GM anyways...I would imagine you will be looking for a GM to take over that team come next season, no?

As for me, I can crow that I will be finishing 2nd (or is it 3rd...depending on tiebreakers with Team Wallin).

If I finish 2nd, then I draw Scott in R1...if I finished 3rd, then I draw Team Gordon.

Either way, it's a favorable match up for me.

Bambi (#1) and Leafs Nation (#8) will be matched up, and that is good.

While I feel I can handle Bambi (despite his top seeding), I do NOT match up well at all against Leafs....this way, they can go at it, and I know one of them will be gone by R2...I must say, I gotta root Bambi here because of the aforementioned better match up for me.  :sorcerer:

14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

At least you and I should have a memorable 1st round match :P

Had I kept my damn mouth shut, I would have had a 10 game advantage based on the lineup scouted lol. Assuming they average 2-4 points per game, that could have worked out to a 20-40 extra point advantage.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hopefully I pull it off :) My scouting also made sure most of my guys had 4 games 2nd round too, or had bench alternates with 4 games. Would hate for that to be for nothing haha

Crow

I almost never do this, but I will this time: some dink (probably somebody who finished much lower) laughed at me on draft day for choosing Patrice Bergeron with my first pick. It's with some satisfaction that I can note that he ran away with the scoring lead in this league.

Gripe

First place seemed like it was as in the bag as it can be. I was in 1st overall, 16-5, matched up against 2nd last with a 5-16 record, and somebody whom I'd outscored by almost 1,000 points over the season. Of course I lost...  LOL! Great week for EDI-Flyer.

Archived