The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

fantasy_collageDL_090114.jpg

I didn't want to clutter up the actual informational threads on fantasy leagues or other threads with more serious rosters discussions, so figured we can have a thread where we can brag about our fantasy player accomplishments throughout the season.........or piss n moan about how awful we (and our picks) are doing so far.

Basically a harmless, fun 'Brag or Gripe' thread.

Doesn't matter what league you are in (I am in the Bantam A League).

And I most DEFINITELY will start............with griping.........because I for sure did not do so well into my first venture into the world of fantasy hockey.

First off, last night's games, I had Montreal's Dale Weise and the NYR's Dan Girardi.

They garnered me positive points (albeit VERY minimal), but for now, especially Weise, I wasn't expecting a bunch.

Girardi's consistency will shine through eventually....yesterday I got the minimum from him, but he played against the Hawks...to be expected.

However, flip over to my other guys yesterday, Mark Giordano and Dougie Hamilton, and I absolutely got KILLED there!

Van beat Cgy 5-1, and Giordano was on the ice for 3 goals against, and Hamilton for 2 goals against....OUCH!

They didn't generate the offense I know they are capable, and their hitting and blocked shots numbers simply could not overcome those big goals against.

I expect those two (and the Flames) to do better, but last night, the Canucks simply handed them their lunch.

To quote an announcer from last night's Nucks-Flames game, "...not the kind of debut Hamilton envisioned to start out his Calgary career".

Gee, ya think??

Looking over at the scoreboard, some other leaguers had rough nights, but some had really awesome nights.

Let's hear about it, guys n gals.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@J0e Th0rnton   I think you will find that Quick is better in real life rather than fantasy. He's no slouch mind you, but falls out of the elite category because his GGA, SV% and wins are slightly down compared to the top tier goalies. If I have a tie between 2 players, I might just take the one that does not face my goalies on a regular basis, in the same vain....taking goalies from the East and West is a nice tactic, it's tough to decide between who to sit when this happens. I'm in trouble that way this year, with all my goalies from the East and Mrazek and Luongo being in the same division will hurt. If in trouble, I will always go with Holtby, cause he has the best chance of winning the game.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I will come here to complain about my team, but I've found any type of bragging is almost immediately followed by swift karmic justice. I've totally quit bragging, it's to costly....lol.

Heh...good point.

But this is a 'just-for-fun' thread, so we will just take any and all bragging and griping at face value and just have a good laugh or two with it.

No one likes complainers or braggarts, but this thread will encourage that sort of behavior if only to allow people to vent a bit or feel on top of the world (if only for a day...lol), with no repurcussions afterwards.

At least that is the goal.

So complain or brag, your choice...tis all good, and I won't hold it against you later on, and neither should anyone else.  ;)

Heh...good point.

But this is a 'just-for-fun' thread, so we will just take any and all bragging and griping at face value and just have a good laugh or two with it.

No one likes complainers or braggarts, but this thread will encourage that sort of behavior if only to allow people to vent a bit or feel on top of the world (if only for a day...lol), with no repurcussions afterwards.

At least that is the goal.

So complain or brag, your choice...tis all good, and I won't hold it against you later on, and neither should anyone else.  ;)

There will be no bragging from me regarding Nahana this year unless something surprising happens. The Keeper team is in a rebuild lol. When two of your keepers are Jeff Carter and Frans Nielsen, you know your team is not going to win as people lament dropping Ben Bishop and Taylor Hall because they can't fit them in their keep 5 haha.

Regarding my work pool. If I do well and come in one of the top 3 spots for money, I will brag hehe.

Regarding the HF tier all stars league, we will see how she goes hehe.

P.S I have Girardi too. Was a bit strange picking him, but he does well on peripheral stats, which tend to be more consistent than scoring. So he won't make bank for you often, but he will always snag you a few more points. Last night he had a 2 shots, 4 hits and a block, which is typical, but was -1, which diminished his value on the night to 1.1 points. Still, better than nothing. He was one of the only guys who play 3 on this short week, so I had to ice him. If Tyler Myers explodes with points and hits in his 2 games this week, then I will lament benching him.

No matter what, you will get blowout games here and there that warp your score a bit one way or the other. Pavelski and Quick might as well have both had a normal night last night for the points I got lol.

@J0e Th0rnton   I think you will find that Quick is better in real life rather than fantasy. He's no slouch mind you, but falls out of the elite category because his GGA, SV% and wins are slightly down compared to the top tier goalies. If I have a tie between 2 players, I might just take the one that does not face my goalies on a regular basis, in the same vain....taking goalies from the East and West is a nice tactic, it's tough to decide between who to sit when this happens. I'm in trouble that way this year, with all my goalies from the East and Mrazek and Luongo being in the same division will hurt. If in trouble, I will always go with Holtby, cause he has the best chance of winning the game.

Fortunately, the ESPN league is accumulated points instead of counting categories. So as long as Quick plays a lot of games(Not ones like last night mind you), he will rack up some points.

Just wins = 5, Saves = 0.2, Goals Against = -1, SO = 3

Last night he made 27 saves, but let in 5 goals and ended with 0.4 points on the night. That's pretty rare for Quick, but it is the Sharks(in the regular season)

On a normal night, Quick might lose by letting in 1-2 goals, make 27 saves and come out with 3.4 or 4.4. If he wins, 8.4 or 9.4.

Pretty good in this format. Can't get points if you don't play and he plays near 65-70 games. Goalies who play 55 games or less will lose out on a boatload of points as the year goes on. I wanted workhorses in goal.

Part of the reason I grabbed Smith as my 3rd string goalie is, if Quick or Dubnyk go down with injury, Smith, while on a terribad team, will still pull in some consistent points. Kind like being on workers comp. Only getting a fraction of pay, but at least it is something haha

Well guys...

I have Anton Stralman and his Lightning playing against the Flyers tonight, along with Jason Spezza and his Stars against the Pens, and a trio of Wild players (Niedderreiter, Coyle. Pominville) against the Avs.

So hopefully, that group will help get me out of the hole a bit and give me something to 'crow' about tomorrow!

Well guys...

I have Anton Stralman and his Lightning playing against the Flyers tonight, along with Jason Spezza and his Stars against the Pens, and a trio of Wild players (Niedderreiter, Coyle. Pominville) against the Avs.

So hopefully, that group will help get me out of the hole a bit and give me something to 'crow' about tomorrow!

This week is a bit strange. In yahoo, we have nearly a double week for the first matchup. but on ESPN, we have only a few days of games for a short week on the first matchup, so they have to count!

Also, I find some unlikely scoring occurs the first few weeks of the season every year and blurs the view

This week is a bit strange. In yahoo, we have nearly a double week for the first matchup. but on ESPN, we have only a few days of games for a short week on the first matchup, so they have to count!

Also, I find some unlikely scoring occurs the first few weeks of the season every year and blurs the view

And I have two very good goalies, that I won't get to ice till Saturday...Ducks' Frederik Andersen and the Caps' Braydon Holtby.

Holbty goes up against the Devils that day (should be a good day for me there, right?), however, Andersen goes up against your Sharks.

I was thinking maybe I could bench Andersen that day (Sharks offense looked really strong against the Kings last night), and go with my third string, Petr Mrazek and the Wings against the Hurricanes instead.

Detroit already said Mrazek will be getting that particular start.

I have Getzlaf against your Sharks on Saturday as well.

So, on paper, at least, I SHOULD do well tonight through Saturday.

I will either be smiling in this thread at that point, or lamenting the canyon I find myself in...haha.

And I have two very good goalies, that I won't get to ice till Saturday...Ducks' Frederik Andersen and the Caps' Braydon Holtby.

Holbty goes up against the Devils that day (should be a good day for me there, right?), however, Andersen goes up against your Sharks.

I was thinking maybe I could bench Andersen that day (Sharks offense looked really strong against the Kings last night), and go with my third string, Petr Mrazek and the Wings against the Hurricanes instead.

Detroit already said Mrazek will be getting that particular start.

I have Getzlaf against your Sharks on Saturday as well.

So, on paper, at least, I SHOULD do well tonight through Saturday.

I will either be smiling in this thread at that point, or lamenting the canyon I find myself in...haha.

In the ESPN league, you choose your lineup weekly, so you can't bench them by day. I think Sunday night/Monday morning(Before the first game monday) is the regular cutoff date for lineup choices

I am going to eat this punk Reedy Creek Buccaneers for breakfast for not trading Miller to me.  I offered him a good deal.  Cam Ward is not chopped liver.  He will learn

uh. Miller is an average goalie true. But he is set to take the lions share of the starts for Vancouver, while Ward is probably platooning with Lack(Which means 40-50 games instead of 60+). In this league, the amount of starts you have is very important. Worse, you are trying to trade him a platoon goalie on a team poised to finish bottom 3 and who brought in Lack to replace him when his contract is up(So we know Lack is going to get playing time).

Miller platooned last year, so his stats look bad for this season as a result of only playing 45 games. But this season, he likely sees near 60 games unless he really craps the bed.

Last year Mike Smith for the Yotes had only 14 wins. But he played 62 games. Sounds awful right?

Now if I told you he was worth nearly the same in value as Elliot on the blues, who had 26 wins in 46 games, you would think I am crazy right?

That's just it. He IS worth Elliott.

Break down the scoring.

Smith 62 games: 14 wins x 5 = 70, 1768 saves x 0.2 = 353.6, 187 goals against = -187, Shutouts 0 : Total 236.6, Average per game 3.8

Elliott 46 games: 26 wins x 5 = 130, 1054 saves x 0.2 = 210.8, 96 goals against = -96, Shutouts 4 x 3 =12: Total 256.8, Av Per game 5.5

So on a "per game" Basis, Elliott blows Smith out of the water. But this league does not use averages. It goes by total points accumulated, and how much better you are means about as much as how many Art Ross Trophies Crosby could have won if he were healthy his whole career. If Elliott actually played 62 games, his score would be around 346 nearly 100 points higher.

So if you want Miller that badly, you are going to have to cough up a legit 60 game starter to get talks going.

Are you this Crowe guy?

Nope. I play in the all star league. But I am just giving you a straight explanation.

Platoon goalies will give you fits in this league when you try to set your lineup because you cannot guarantee they start most of, or all of the games that week.

If you go into the league and click on "Players", then click "G" and "on rosters" and click on 2015 for 2015 stats and look on the right to see how many points they got in this format last year, you will notice the goalies with the most starts have the most points.

In this format last year Lundqvist was middle of the pack because he missed so many games, playing only 46. Niemi and Varlamov were "Teh suck" last year, but they scored more fantasy points because they played 57-61 games.

Here's a gripe. My goalies have a combined 4.8 points in 3 games played lol.

Quick really not off to a good start. Dubnyk salvaged a win in that mess, but let in 4 goals and only stopped 19.

But Saturday is upon us. The make or break day!

Thank you Jon Quick for losing me the week by a tiny margin of points by letting in 9 goals in 2 games. 4 to the coyotes.

Anyone want him or have faith in a kings bounce back? Lol

On the bright side. Still top 4 in points on the week. Just ran into the guy who had top 3 hehe

Okay, opinion about a trade I made.

In a non keeper league where you redraft your entire roster every season I traded Claude Giroux for Henrik Zetterberg and Matt Duchene.

My feeling was that Z and Duchene who both qualify at C and LW will put up numbers that far exceed what Giroux would have done. The other player I gave up to even the trade out was one of the Smith or Hayes boys, a waiver wire fodder who will be out there and available within a couple of weeks. A forgettable player.

Soooooo, this is a Flyer dominated forum, my trade was Giroux for Zetterberg and Duchene, have at it, let me know your opinion.

In a non keeper league where you redraft your entire roster every season I traded Claude Giroux for Henrik Zetterberg and Matt Duchene.

My feeling was that Z and Duchene who both qualify at C and LW will put up numbers that far exceed what Giroux would have done. The other player I gave up to even the trade out was one of the Smith or Hayes boys, a waiver wire fodder who will be out there and available within a couple of weeks. A forgettable player.

Soooooo, this is a Flyer dominated forum, my trade was Giroux for Zetterberg and Duchene, have at it, let me know your opinion.

What are the categories? Is it a head to head league?

What are the categories? Is it a head to head league?

head to head,

Cats are extensive, G, A, P, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, F/O, Hits, Blocks, PIMs and plus/minus.

IMHO if healthy Zetterberg will put up ninety percent of what Giroux will or more, and Duchene is a mile ahead of a waiver fodder player. I am banking on a bounce back year for him as Roy has stressed that he plans on his boys stressing offense and leaving Varly to handle the back end.

I thought it was another great trade on your part.  I approved it, but I probably wouldn't have made that trade myself unless I felt both Zetterburg and Duchene would spend significant portions of the year on the IR.

head to head,

Cats are extensive, G, A, P, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, F/O, Hits, Blocks, PIMs and plus/minus.

IMHO if healthy Zetterberg will put up ninety percent of what Giroux will or more, and Duchene is a mile ahead of a waiver fodder player. I am banking on a bounce back year for him as Roy has stressed that he plans on his boys stressing offense and leaving Varly to handle the back end.

May hurt the ppp's, but it is great overall in a 1 year league.

I like it.

I may end up griping later, so I'll crow while I can. I had the highest point total in the Bantam A league this week by about 30 points. So far, I'm quite pleased with my team.

My gripes for this weeks matchup are that my opponent gets 8 goalie games to my 6, and that I did not know there were daytime games yesterday so I was too late to switch Quick out for Smith. Hopefully Quick plays a bit better this schedule, but the kings look like crap so while elated because I hate the kings, I am not hopeful.

My goalies are also in direct competition one game, so that is another suck.

On the bright side, my 5 players from yesterday were held to 1 assist total and still came away with 11.2 points from peripheral stats.

Archived