The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

My gripes for this weeks matchup are that my opponent gets 8 goalie games to my 6, and that I did not know there were daytime games yesterday so I was too late to switch Quick out for Smith. Hopefully Quick plays a bit better this schedule, but the kings look like crap so while elated because I hate the kings, I am not hopeful.

My goalies are also in direct competition one game, so that is another suck.

On the bright side, my 5 players from yesterday were held to 1 assist total and still came away with 11.2 points from peripheral stats.

LOVE peripheral stats. I build my teams every year around them. Stars are boring. give me an unsung underrated player who does half a dozen things well even if one of them is not goal scoring any day over a 30 goal scoring empty stat guy.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped Dale Weise in favor of David Krejci and couldn't be happier with the results.

Krejci paid off dividends immediately (and actually has been one of the woeful Bruins better players), even if his team did lose to my Bolts yesterday.

@yave1964

I also added your guy Justin Abdelkader (not just due to his hot start, although that helped), because he impressed me in the post season last year and he simply seems to do a bunch of things well..things that can help me in FHL as well......he hits, he blocks, always involved around the net, which leads to the occasional goal and assist...and he may even take an odd face off or two.

I dropped Carl Hagelin from my lineup to make room for Justin...hopefully that decision doesn't turn on me.

Trying to get Matt Dumba some playing time, but right now, my current D-man crop is pretty steady with Stralman, Girardi (I almost dropped him, but decided to keep him at the 11th hour), and Goligoski.....and while Hamilton and Giordano haven't been too fruitful, I expect them to pick it up. So Dumba's just gonna have to bide his time a bit...though  he is off to a decent start himself.

Braden Holtby, Frederik Andersen, and Petr Mrazek are my goalie corps.

The early gripe I am having in my 12 team H2H category league is my goalies. I drafted Bobrovsky and Crawford to be my primary goalies. In my league you play 2 goalies each day. The problem I am having is I drafted these guys way ahead of my 3rd goalie Ryan Miller. Bobrovsky is sucking, Crawford is just doing O.K., and my 3rd goalie is doing the best of them all.

The early gripe I am having in my 12 team H2H category league is my goalies. I drafted Bobrovsky and Crawford to be my primary goalies. In my league you play 2 goalies each day. The problem I am having is I drafted these guys way ahead of my 3rd goalie Ryan Miller. Bobrovsky is sucking, Crawford is just doing O.K., and my 3rd goalie is doing the best of them all.

Hmmm...yea, but i get the sneaking suspicion Bob and Craw will turn things around....while Miller may be the beneficiary of a hot Canucks overall team start.

Jackets' issues has always been health, and they have been healthy so far....just not playing particularly well. I think they turn that around soon.

And Crawford, well the guy is like an oily fish...just when you think you got him captured, he slips away and puts up a bunch of stats that make Vezina candidates go "How the HELL did he do that??"

;)

I have a minor gripe on Ryan Getzlaf, since I am back on this thread.

Overall, the Ducks are off to a slow start, and I expected at least more from Getzlaf personally...he really hasn't delivered yet.

I will, however, take my own advice to you @Unleashed Fury , and wait it out a bit, as SURELY the Ducks (and Getzlaf) will get things going in the right direction in short order.

Hmmm...yea, but i get the sneaking suspicion Bob and Craw will turn things around....while Miller may be the beneficiary of a hot Canucks overall team start.

Jackets' issues has always been health, and they have been healthy so far....just not playing particularly well. I think they turn that around soon.

And Crawford, well the guy is like an oily fish...just when you think you got him captured, he slips away and puts up a bunch of stats that make Vezina candidates go "How the HELL did he do that??"

;)

I have a minor gripe on Ryan Getzlaf, since I am back on this thread.

Overall, the Ducks are off to a slow start, and I expected at least more from Getzlaf personally...he really hasn't delivered yet.

I will, however, take my own advice to you @Unleashed Fury , and wait it out a bit, as SURELY the Ducks (and Getzlaf) will get things going in the right direction in short order.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Oh yeah, it is waaaaaaay too early to start making drastic moves.

Dropped Dale Weise in favor of David Krejci and couldn't be happier with the results.

Krejci paid off dividends immediately (and actually has been one of the woeful Bruins better players), even if his team did lose to my Bolts yesterday.

@yave1964

I also added your guy Justin Abdelkader (not just due to his hot start, although that helped), because he impressed me in the post season last year and he simply seems to do a bunch of things well..things that can help me in FHL as well......he hits, he blocks, always involved around the net, which leads to the occasional goal and assist...and he may even take an odd face off or two.

I dropped Carl Hagelin from my lineup to make room for Justin...hopefully that decision doesn't turn on me.

Trying to get Matt Dumba some playing time, but right now, my current D-man crop is pretty steady with Stralman, Girardi (I almost dropped him, but decided to keep him at the 11th hour), and Goligoski.....and while Hamilton and Giordano haven't been too fruitful, I expect them to pick it up. So Dumba's just gonna have to bide his time a bit...though  he is off to a decent start himself.

I wanted Abby in the Philly.com league that rewards hits as a stat, @hf101 beat me to him by one pick. In leagues that are more or less scoring and faceoffs his value is not as high, but he has certainly turned into quite the player.

Love your tenders BTW. What, no Bishop or Dubnyk?

I wanted Abby in the Philly.com league that rewards hits as a stat, @hf101 beat me to him by one pick. In leagues that are more or less scoring and faceoffs his value is not as high, but he has certainly turned into quite the player.

Love your tenders BTW. What, no Bishop or Dubnyk?

Both were taken before I had a chance to..but homerism aside, I already had in mind to go with Holtby as my number one.

I really believe we have yet to see the best from this guy, and what we have seen so far has been pretty good!

Went with Andersen second because I fully expect the Ducks to win lots of games, with him being the main backstop, AND as good as the Ducks can be, they tend to give up scoring chances regularly, meaning Andersen should make plenty of saves.

Mrazek? Like I said..thoroughly impressed, I think he should see more games this year than Howard, and facing teams like the Bolts, Sens, even the Leafs and the improved Sabres within the division, means he sees more shots as well, and if he is as good as I think he will be this year, I should expect some benefits from his sv % as well.

I noticed not many people gave Mrazek much of a look too, so I was also hoping to bolster my own hockey-know-it-all ego by finding a gem amongst the coal, so to speak, where no one else thought to look ;)

@yave1964

I went looking for Krejci in every league today, but he has been scooped in all of them.

I did pick up Dumba in my work league after Wisniewski blew his ACL. I picked up Vanek as well since he slots into LW or RW on yahoo. Gives me some versatility setting the lines daily to maximize players playing.

I also grabbed Granlund in this HF league and dropped Vermette. Vermette's strength last year was his faceoff ability, and a healthy Hanzal is chewing into his faceoffs. Till Hanzal has his yearly injury, Vermette won't be pulling triple duty in the circle as much.

I don't know what it is, but something seemed different about Granlund to me in the first 2 games from last year. He will never blow you away with his skating, but he seemed faster, more aggressive and better balanced than last year. Some of those passes(Particularly to Vanek on the tying goal vs Colorado) gave me this feel of high level vision and quick decision making I have never had from him before. If he keeps it up, he could be the center the Wild have been waiting for.

Which will in turn have a trickle down effect to Vanek on my other team.

He is likely to be riding the bench for me for awhile, given he is behind Pavelski, Kesler, Fisher and Bjugstad on my depth chart. When Pavelski gets Winger eligibility, Granlund will get more icetime for the Sharknado squad.

Both were taken before I had a chance to..but homerism aside, I already had in mind to go with Holtby as my number one.

I really believe we have yet to see the best from this guy, and what we have seen so far has been pretty good!

Went with Andersen second because I fully expect the Ducks to win lots of games, with him being the main backstop, AND as good as the Ducks can be, they tend to give up scoring chances regularly, meaning Andersen should make plenty of saves.

Mrazek? Like I said..thoroughly impressed, I think he should see more games this year than Howard, and facing teams like the Bolts, Sens, even the Leafs and the improved Sabres within the division, means he sees more shots as well, and if he is as good as I think he will be this year, I should expect some benefits from his sv % as well.

I noticed not many people gave Mrazek much of a look too, so I was also hoping to bolster my own hockey-know-it-all ego by finding a gem amongst the coal, so to speak, where no one else thought to look ;)

Until he is a shoe in for 60 starts, it was hard for me to take a look at him in this league. If he platoons evenly with Howard, or even has less than 55 games, it hurts on the scoresheet whether he wins or loses.

I posted the reasoning in this thread to HJ when he had a hernia over someone not trading him Miller for Ward lol.

Andersen with Gibson on the farm team should eat at least 60 starts, which is outstanding.

Until he is a shoe in for 60 starts, it was hard for me to take a look at him in this league. If he platoons evenly with Howard, or even has less than 55 games, it hurts on the scoresheet whether he wins or loses.

I posted the reasoning in this thread to HJ when he had a hernia over someone not trading him Miller for Ward lol.

Andersen with Gibson on the farm team should eat at least 60 starts, which is outstanding.

This was why I didn't play him in Week 1.

I thought I remembered reading where Jimmy Howard would be given every opportunity to keep the number one job, and Mrazek may see limited playing time at first.

But I also figured, if Mrazek wasn't a fluke last season and playoffs, then he will ultimately take more starts away and even become the number one in Detroit....hence why I picked him and filed him away as my number three guy.

Depending on how he is used in Detroit, I will likely rotate he and Andersen, with Holtby getting regular weekly starts.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I love Mrazek, ask the Wing fans in here I have been touting him since he won the Calder trophy with Grand Rapids as a twenty year old.

The problem is Howie and Mrazek are both going to get around 40 starts each unless one is hurt, which kills their fantasy value. I love the kid, his cockiness and brashness are a breath of fresh air.

Going into tonight's games I currently have 162.2 points. In week 1 the short week my team scored 118 points and won easily over my opponent. Going into this week I thought I was really up for a challenge because this team was week ones top scorers. The leader of my team has to be Tarasenko for sure. Landeskog, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher are great supporting players. I am heading to 2-0. :goodjob:

Going into tonight's games I currently have 162.2 points. In week 1 the short week my team scored 118 points and won easily over my opponent. Going into this week I thought I was really up for a challenge because this team was week ones top scorers. The leader of my team has to be Tarasenko for sure. Landeskog, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher are great supporting players. I am heading to 2-0. :goodjob:

Jeez...on the short week?

You are giving my team's 75.7 for the short week an inferiority complex, UF.... :P

@J0e Th0rnton

Now that is dedication!

There are 2 others in my work league who are pretty dedicated. Both of whom wanted a center. They were also maxed on moved for the week and they both work mornings. It was the only way to assure myself Krejci. He is on fire right now 4 goals, 5 assists and 5ppp

@J0e Th0rnton I doing that as well, but I unfortunately have to stay up after I check if I got my 3 waiver wire picks at 5 a.m. to get ready for school. Also it is freezing cold outside in my area.

Yeah its getting cold up here too. In fact, I heard the word "Snow" on the radio. Only 3-5cm, but still, first snow of the year

There are 2 others in my work league who are pretty dedicated. Both of whom wanted a center. They were also maxed on moved for the week and they both work mornings. It was the only way to assure myself Krejci. He is on fire right now 4 goals, 5 assists and 5ppp

And LOL.

I just checked transactions. I made my transactions at 4am and 4:01AM. Next guy made his transaction at 4:51AM and other person made it at 545AM.

Setting my alarm for 355am was a good idea!

Alrighty. 2 weeks in, let's see which positions are helping and hurting my team. Scoring is always inflated at the start of the season, as players tend to be on pace for 120 points, etc, but it usually cools by week 3-4.

Centers: Kesler and Fisher have been quiet. No points scored, but still bringing in 3.2 and 3.7 points per game on faceoffs and hits. Need them to heat up soon. Pavelski has been great, Bjugstad solid at 6.3 and 4.9 points per game Added Granlund till the other two heat up, who has posted 5.3 points per game.

Wingers: Happy as a clam. Galchenyuk 4.3 ppg, Hertl 5 ppg, Carter 4.6 ppg(Decent considering LA sucks right now) and Zibanejad 4.6 PPG. The plan was always to rely on faceoff wingers because even when scoring cools, faceoffs will remain consistent. Between these 4, 172 faceoff wins. Keep drawing boys!

Defensemen. Carlson and Boychuk are putting up nice numbers with 5.7 and 5.0 ppg. Hamonic is about where I expected with 2.8, mostly in consistent peripheral stats. Girardi (Also a peripheral stat guy)has been a bit lower than expected with only 1.6, so he has to put up or shut up this week and start hitting things in his 4 games! Tyler Myers has been "Meh" even though his team is winning with only 2.0 ppg, so he has been dropped for Phaneuf, who has 4.1 ppg.

Goalies: Oooooh boy. Talk about suckage. Even in victory, Dubnyk has been letting in many goals. So his average is only 5.4 in 4 games. Quick has been disastrous till the last 2 games. Smith on my bench started strong then dropped the last 2 badly. Any thoughts I had on Benching Quick for Smith evaporated as Quick won the last 2 and Smith lost them badly.

Coming off a good overall scoring week and evening up my W-L to 1-1.

My gripe with my team is I still think I am somewhat weak in goal....but after careful consideration, I am still hanging on to Frederik Andersen from Anaheim in the hopes the team gets back on track and he really starts raking in the points for me.

Also, Peter Mrazek, while I think he is pretty good, doesn't get nearly the amount of starts I would like.

Here is hoping he snatches away the starter's job from Jimmy Howard sooner than later.....

Something to possibly crow about:

Ryan Getzlaf will be sitting for me this week, and in his place is my shiny new acquisition, Mikael Granlund, who is playing top line minutes with the Wild, playing on the top PP unit, and really is off to a nice start this season.

Hoping my trio of centers (Granlund, Spezza, Krejci) will help boost my team while Andersen sorts himself out.

Braden Holtby has been a stalwart for me so far.

He and Andersen will be going while Mrazek sits a bit.

My gripe with my team is I still think I am somewhat weak in goal....but after careful consideration, I am still hanging on to Frederik Andersen from Anaheim in the hopes the team gets back on track and he really starts raking in the points for me.

Also, Peter Mrazek, while I think he is pretty good, doesn't get nearly the amount of starts I would like.

Here is hoping he snatches away the starter's job from Jimmy Howard sooner than later.....

Ryan Getzlaf will be sitting for me this week, and in his place is my shiny new acquisition, Mikael Granlund, who is playing top line minutes with the Wild, playing on the top PP unit, and really is off to a nice start this season.

Hoping my trio of centers (Granlund, Spezza, Krejci) will help boost my team while Andersen sorts himself out.

Sucks when the last days muddle the decision a bit eh?

Getzlaf nets an assist and +1  and won 15 faceoffs(3 points) last night while Granlund was 0 points, -1 and only won 5 faceoffs.(1 point)

Same thing with me choosing Quick or Smith. Smith let in 8 goals and lost the last 2 games, while Quick won the last 2 letting in only 2 goals.

Yeah, you remember when I said I knew I'd end up griping about my team soon enough? Well, today's that day. Lol

TFG's team played lights out this week, and mine... not so much... She pretty well destroyed me.

Archived