Torres Apologizes for Headshot

klindsey

"I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”

Yeah, Raffi Torres wrote that... Has anybody else ever caught an interview with that man? They could get a more intelligent response from his helmet.

Yeah, Raffi Torres wrote that... Has anybody else ever caught an interview with that man? They could get a more intelligent response from his helmet.

His agent wrote it, no doubt about it.

Torres, if you are going to apologize for anything, apologize for the most grievous sin you committed.

Kesler was on the ice. KESLER. And you went for Silfverberg

Calm down. You just calm down haha.

While I would have prefered Torres to hit Kesler, I still don't want to see a dirty hit. I don't like Kesler because he is a gritty forward who the Sharks struggle to play against, he doesn't deserve a cheap shot, just like Silfverberg didn't deserve what happened to him.

I was very excited to get Raffi Torres for the rest of the season when we acquired him from Phoenix (and it was Phoenix at the time), because he was an upgrade over the oft-injured Ryane Clowe. Torres was a better skater than Clowe, and played with an edge. I thought he learned his lesson with the Hossa incident, and I thought he was a more mature player.

I wasn't disappointed with the hit on Jarret Stoll in that playoffs because I didn't think there was an intent on the play. It looked like Stoll adjusted his body right before the hit that made it worse than it was. Did he deserve a suspension for that? Yeah, but I didn't think he was intending to hurt Stoll.

I was not a fan, however, of signing the guy for three more years. No one could have seen his knee injury, but $2.00mil a year for Torres is a joke, and I never thought he was a good enough player to keep around for long. He is terrible in the defensive zone, and he doesn't really have that much offensive talent (we said the same thing about John Scott last year). He is the type of player you want in the playoffs to play a game or two, but not someone you want for three years.

All that being said, I hated Raffi Torres for this hit. I think he meant to injury someone. I think he could have hit Silfverberg without raising his elbow and without hitting him high. I've seen hundreds of hits that were in the same situation, but didn't have the injury scare that this hit did. Torres easily could have lead with his shoulder into Silfverberg's and he would have delivered a clean hit. Instead, he reverted back to his old habits, and I'm glad he got punished for it. I would love to see Torres out of the game forever because I don't think there is room for players like him. His only goal is to go out and create chaos and destroy whoever is in his way, and that is not how this game is played anymore. 

I will be upset when he sees the ice again, and I will probably turn off the game when it's his shift, because I don't believe he deserves another chance to kill somebody.

Archived