Who makes the first panic trades?

With word out that the Bruins may be quietly shopping Chara and Marchand, it got me thinking of the "first coach to be fired" thread. Silly to be thinking of panic after 2 games, but it seems some of them are.

But in this case, it will be who starts the fire sale/Panic button trades first.

The Bruins? The Kings? The Jackets?

The Bruins and kings coaches seem to have lost the room, and the GM's did not eactly do them any favors this summer. Especially the Bruins. But word is, the Bruins are shopping guys, while word from the kings is Kopitar wants a Toews contract and Lombardi said they are not even in the same ballpark in negotiations.

The Jackets improved on paper and are healthy, but so far have not gelled.

@J0e Th0rnton

Jackets are a mess, no idea why. My wife is already getting surly about her boys. I could see them making a panic move. It fits with their character.

The Kings are not a big trader, they added Sekera last year to replace Voynov, Gaborik a few years ago was a great pickup, most of the moves they make are well thought out and intelligent.

Here is one, maybe the Ducks? If they do not get it together soon I could see them making a move early, they are aggressive, almost like my fantasy team.

@J0e Th0rnton

Jackets are a mess, no idea why. My wife is already getting surly about her boys. I could see them making a panic move. It fits with their character.

The Kings are not a big trader, they added Sekera last year to replace Voynov, Gaborik a few years ago was a great pickup, most of the moves they make are well thought out and intelligent.

Here is one, maybe the Ducks? If they do not get it together soon I could see them making a move early, they are aggressive, almost like my fantasy team.

Entirely possible I guess, although the ducks have at least pulled a point in 2 games. Maybe Fowler gets dangled? I have to think Lindholm and Vatanen are untouchable. And they just extended Despres and resigned an near unmovable Bieksa.

But Kesler just got extendo. Getzlaf and Perry are lifetime ducks methinks.

Hard to picture them making big moves.

@yave1964

Was thinking the Ducks as well.

Absurd as it seems just two games in for them, but when you have Cup expectations like they do and the players expected to carry them there need to win now rather than 'down the road', I can see Anaheim possibly pulling a quick fix trade if the team doesn't get it together soon.

Ducks will see the Yotes, Avs and Wild (twice), and Preds over the next five games.....Anaheim should do well in that stretch.

Yes, even against Minnesota.

Wild have not fared well over the last 5 seasons against the Ducks, even though for some reason I felt Minny could have taken them in the playoffs had they both been matched up (overzealous homerism? lol).

Ducks are 13-8 against Minnesota the last 5 seaons, including 3-0 last season.

So, given those opponents specifically for Anaheim, if they don't do well, there may be some grumbling in Disneyland...and maybe a panic button move.

Speaking of grumbling, i will throw the Avalanche in there as a team that may make some sort of knee jerk reaction move if they get off to a slow start.

Even though the team didn't make the post season last year, the expectation that they WOULD was still there......as it is again this year....particularly after winning their division just two seasons ago.

They have some good offensive players, have a decent netminder....and we ALL know, Patrick Roy hates losing.

During that big Wild comeback on them a few nights ago, the boos rained fast and furious on the hometown Avs, and Roy himself looked like he could bite through iron after the game...

Avs need a quick start....that win against Dallas 6-3 was nice for them...they definitely wanna see more of that and if they don't, perhaps the Col front office pulls a fast move to try and keep the team from falling behind the tough Central division teams.

Bruins because they have a crap defense right now.  Chara is done.  Krug is decent on the offensive side not sure about the defensive side.  Adam McQuaid, Kevin Miller.  They should have never let Hamilton go.  The Jackets just need to get Bob back on track.  They aren't really hurt so I don't know why they are losing.  So my vote goes to Don Sweeney and the Bruins.  Hey Don, how about Luke Schenn for a bag of pucks?

Kopitar, Crosby, Hall, and Kunitz have Zero Goals, Zero Assists between them all.

I would say Pittsburg will move....Hornqvist and Bennett for some D help.....maybe for Fowler?

(I havent looked at any contarcts or anything...just throwing it out there)

Addition: They could bring up Shea Theodore, Korbinion Holzer, or a few others for their 6th Dman and gain the banging of Hornqvist

My honorable mention for next in line after Columbus for a big trade are the Kings. They are 2 seasons removed from winning the Cup, but with the Richards and Voynov dramas and Lucic not exactly fitting in and guys like Carter not producing, I could see a shakeup.  They NEED a sniper. Darryl Sutter must think he's having a nightmare early on.

Bruins because they have a crap defense right now.  Chara is done.  Krug is decent on the offensive side not sure about the defensive side.  Adam McQuaid, Kevin Miller.  They should have never let Hamilton go.  The Jackets just need to get Bob back on track.  They aren't really hurt so I don't know why they are losing.  So my vote goes to Don Sweeney and the Bruins.  Hey Don, how about Luke Schenn for a bag of pucks?

A done chara is still better then anything on the flyers

Two seasons ago I would have said HELL YEAH but don't the Flyers have enough bad contracts with old players on the team? I think so. 

The Flyers defense isn't exactly a great measuring stick. You're in denial if you think Chara is still one of the top defenseman in the league. He looked terrible last night and got pushed around by many of our forwards 

I'm gonna vote for the Ducks panicking also. You know that Vatanen, Perry, Getzlaf and Andersen/Gibson are untouchables. Thing is, the Ducks are constructed to win right now, so they might try and turn some younger guys into guaranteed points. I honestly believe that Nick Ritchie is an untouchable also....he will eventually be the missing piece to the Perry and Getz line. Maybe they try and package Fowler with Sekac or....if you want a really big return, perhaps Fowler and Silferberg for an established star.

• 1 month later...

Maybe Dallas will trade for Miller, that should get them over the hump right?  :ph34r:

Heh...I know you are jesting @Samifan , but in looking at the stats this year, Miller as compared to both Lehtonen and Niemi for Dallas, is right there with them.....but what makes Miller a bit more impressive than those two is the fact that Miller plays many more minutes than either Kari or Antii do...AND he plays without the benefit of that high powered Stars offense in front of him to cover for his bad days.

Now, I am not in the camp that "Miller cures all", but you know, if Dallas can get ahold of Miller (maybe for Lehtonen straight up), I bet Ryan could do better playing with a team that can support him with more goals per game.

Bottom line is (and I am NOT saying Dallas should trade for Miller to be a Cup contender), is the Stars, IMO, really do need an upgrade in goaltending.

At this stage, without giving up considerable assets amongst their skater ranks, I don't see where they could get a number one goalie, but I don't believe Lehtonen or Niemi are the guys to help carry them to a Cup....even with the high octane offense.

Miller would be questionable to carry them to a Cup as well, but I maintain he would give Dallas a better chance than either of their current goalies.

Archived