Game #7 - Rangers at Flyers - Oct 24 2015 - 7:00

brelic

Rangers, 5-2-1, 11 pts.

Flyers, 3-2-1, 7 pts.

Here's Meltzer's write up:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-102415-vs-NYR/45/71957

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 89 Sam Gagner - 17 Wayne Simmonds
10 Brayden Schenn - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth or 45 Jason LaBarbera]

Scratches: Sean Couturier (upper body), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Brandon Manning (healthy).

RANGERS

61 Rick Nash - 21 Derek Stepan - 36 Mats Zuccarello
20 Chris Kreider - 16 Derick Brassard - 19 Jesper Fast
24 Oscar Lindberg - 13 Kevin Hayes - 10 J.T. Miller
25 Viktor Stålberg - 28 Dominic Moore - 26 Jarret Stoll

27 Ryan McDonagh - 8 Kevin Klein
93 Keith Yandle - 5 Dan Girardi
18 Marc Staal - 22 Dan Boyle

30 Henrik Lundqvist
[32 Antti Raanta]

Scratches: Dylan McIlrath (healthy), Emerson Etem (healthy).

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

24 Matt Read - 89 Sam Gagner - 17 Wayne Simmonds

10 Brayden Schenn - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas

82 Evgeny Medvedev - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason

[30 Michal Neuvirth or 45 Jason LaBarbera]

I'm ok with the lineup. Just one tweak. I would have left everything like it was and just inserted Brayden in Coots spot. Just to give him a chance at center plus Simmer and him have always had good chemistry.

Two it would have been less moving guys around keeping them in familiar spots oh well....you can alway move guys around later.

Go Flyers!

I'm ok with the lineup. Just one tweak. I would have left everything like it was and just inserted Brayden in Coots spot. Just to give him a chance at center plus Simmer and him have always had good chemistry.

Two it would have been less moving guys around keeping them in familiar spots oh well....you can alway move guys around later.

Go Flyers!

i think i understand why you're saying this...(b schenn @ 2C)   but i think it doesn't help him and hurts the team.   i'm feeling like he's starting to get what he needs to do to be a decent winger....why cloud the message for him.  the guy has been bounced all over the line up playing different positions with different guys...let him alone , see what he can do if he's given some stability.  plus for me whatever pluses he and Simmonds bring there's at least 1 shift a period where those two get pinned in the d zone and the other team gets multiple good looks at the net. no thanks sir.

i think i understand why you're saying this...(b schenn @ 2C)   but i think it doesn't help him and hurts the team.   i'm feeling like he's starting to get what he needs to do to be a decent winger....why cloud the message for him.  the guy has been bounced all over the line up playing different positions with different guys...let him alone , see what he can do if he's given some stability.  plus for me whatever pluses he and Simmonds bring there's at least 1 shift a period where those two get pinned in the d zone and the other team gets multiple good looks at the net. no thanks sir.

I get that and that might be why they are not doing that...and that would make sense as well.

Thanks Jack. Someone said Raffl collapsed on the bench. Took an elbow? Oy.

He got hit with the elbow (unintentional) but went back to the bench. Then while play was going on there was a commotion on the bench and they stopped the game and led him down to the locker room. So nobody really knew what was going on. Then later JJ said it was an "upper body injury", so I assume concussion.

Missed the game but got home in time for the Shootout!   :D

-- actually I got to watch the OT also.  This Flyers team is a much more aggressive team out there on the shootout under Hackstol.  Nice goals by Gagner and Giroux.

Nice to see Laughton get that first goal of the season especially since I picked him up for one of my fhl leagues  :P.

What a great game! The Flyers hung with one of the best in the east and it was a gutsy win. Lots of hitting, great chances on both sides, superb goaltending, exciting OT, and finally a shootout win.

Gagner has to stay. He picked up a hard working assist and then a sick shootout goal. Nice to see Laughton score too - he deserved one.

G's move was sick too.

Gagner undressed Lundquist on the breakaway in OT but couldn't finish....he's got a wicked handle

Yes, G's move was sick but that's the kind of move I expect each and every time from "the best player in the world" so that's why he didn't get an extra mention. ;)

Give Gagner more ice time 2016!

I wonder at what point are we allowed to adjust our expectations for this team ?

Compared to the last 2 years last night's game vs the Rangers had our guys looking good.  Every bit as good as the Rangers, the things that used to make me wince and turn off the game don't appear to be as prevalent this year. There isn't a group that gets pinned in the d zone for minutes at a time ,  there aren't 3 guys all at the same level on odd man rushes,  the defensmen actually contribute to possesing the puck and continuing to pressure the opposing defense as opposed to dropping back in fear of the odd man the other way...

is this "system" ? , did we trade, demote and scratch all the dumb guys ?  I know it's early so i'm not going to get too woo hoo ! just yet. but I think this team could be better than we've been giving them credit for this year.  There is nothing that says to me they are playing "over their heads" or have been playing "weak competition".  

I didn't see the game, but the early results are enough to make me cautiously optimistic. I don't think the skill is quite there yet, but they are playing well within themselves, and it's proving out on the ice. I still don't think they're a playoff team this year, but a bit of growth from Schenn, Couturier, and Laughton, with production from Gagner and Umberger, and they could surprise me.

Since I was at the game, my opportunity to see replays wasn't as good as those who saw it on TV, so I have a question for those who watched on TV...was the holding call on Jake that led to the tying goal really as horrible as it looked on the jumbo-tron?  It looked to us like he just made a good play without his stick by pushing the man off the puck...you know, playing hockey.  It never looked like he grabbed him or hooked his arm or anything that even came close to warranting a penalty. We were pretty fired up about that call, especially since it ended up tying the game.  Just wanted the perspective of people who had the luxury of more replays.

A good read for all.....

Bellemare's line putting Flyers in right situations

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2015/10/25/bellemares-line-putting-flyers-right-situations/74586956/

This is the new style NHL hockey....roll 4 effective lines....GOON HOCKEY IS DEAD!!!!

Enjoy....

Archived