Does Gudas deserve a suspension for hit on Stalberg?

hf101

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NHL suspend Gudas?

• Yes - clear hit to the head
    • No - this is not charging, not interference, head was not primary target
  2. 2. How many games should Gudas be suspended for?

Should the NHL suspend Gudas for this hit on Stalberg?  Unlike the the Rinaldo hit where he was penalized on the ice Gudas received no penalty for this play.

Looks like a good check to me, Vigneaut thinks Gudas deserves a suspension.

Vigneault: Gudas' "principal point of attack was the head" & "we’ll see what the league does." 

Screen-Shot-2015-10-24-at-9.57.09-PM-640

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He kept his shoulder down and did not explode up through his check like Rinaldo did but he wears the Flyers crest now so it will be at least 2 games........... :ph34r:

Rinaldo did not explode up either. I think Gudas actually shrugs up more than Rinaldo did.

Either way, no suspension. Again, remove the head from the equation...does he still get good contact with the body? Of course. That means he drove through the body. It was a good open ice hit.

If they do suspend him, then I give up...I have no idea what a legal/illegal hit is in this league.

He never left his feet.  He never launched himself into the Rangers player.  His elbow was not out like a chicken wing and was tucked throughout the whole time he checked the Rangers player.  I tried to get a screen shot fro the youtube file.  Not sure how good the quality is, BUT it looks like Gudsas hit him shoulder to shoulder.

post-49-0-14880700-1445775243_thumb.jpg

So applying the same principle to Zac, who WAS given a penalty and Gudsa WAS NOT.....this should be an open and shut case.  No fine or suspension warrented.

Should the NHL suspend Gudas for this hit on Stalberg?  Unlike the the Rinaldo hit where he was penalized on the ice Gudas received no penalty for this play.

Vigneault: Gudas' "principal point of attack was the head" & "we’ll see what the league does." 

Hee is a Flyer that is why!

Rinaldo did not explode up either. I think Gudas actually shrugs up more than Rinaldo did.

Either way, no suspension. Again, remove the head from the equation...does he still get good contact with the body? Of course. That means he drove through the body. It was a good open ice hit.

If they do suspend him, then I give up...I have no idea what a legal/illegal hit is in this league.

this

my thoughts nearly exactly

NO NO NO!

The initial point of contact is chest/shoulder. It almost looks like Gudas' head catches his head a bit on the follow through, and possibly a bit from the shoulder as well. I can't say I'll be shocked if he does get suspended since he wears a Flyers jersey, but going by the video, he doesn't deserve one. Stahl and AV just sound butt hurt about the result of the game!

This is the poster boy for the kind of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. Was it on purpose, as in head targeted? Who cares? No player ever needs to have his elbow as high as it was on that hit. In a proper bodycheck, the elbows (emphasize the plural) should be down and in to your sides. You can't convince me that Gudas was not aware of the possibilty of a head hit.

And if the NHL really does want to stop head hits the suspension needs to be at least 3 games.

This is the poster boy for the kind of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. Was it on purpose, as in head targeted? Who cares? No player ever needs to have his elbow as high as it was on that hit. In a proper bodycheck, the elbows (emphasize the plural) should be down and in to your sides. You can't convince me that Gudas was not aware of the possibilty of a head hit.

And if the NHL really does want to stop head hits the suspension needs to be at least 3 games.

Seriously?  You're complaining about his ELBOW?  Look at the still pic in the first post...his elbow is tucked away and making contact with the crest of the jersey on initial contact and never makes its way up to the head throughout the hit.  It's a shoulder to chest hit.  Elbow is never even close to coming into play.  You want to complain about a shoulder to the head, I could at least see a slight argument for that.

You are correct that he does not make contact with his elbow. I never said he did. But he uses it to raise his shoulder to the point where it contacts the head instead of the chest. I know this guy is a Flyer and the recipent is a Ranger, but if the players were reversed would you still be OK with it?  ;)  I suspect not... :hocky:

You are correct that he does not make contact with his elbow. I never said he did. But he uses it to raise his shoulder to the point where it contacts the head instead of the chest. I know this guy is a Flyer and the recipent is a Ranger, but if the players were reversed would you still be OK with it?  ;)  I suspect not... :hocky:

And the same can be said...reverse the roles and others would say the same about Zac.

Where was your defense of Coots on the Zac hit and contact with the head???

Oh that right you're a Leafs fans .........pppffffffffffffftttttt that's what i thought.....

Surely you jest....then if you feel Gudas should be suspended then what are your thoughts that Zac got away scott free?

Should the NHL suspend Gudas for this hit on Stalberg? Unlike the the Rinaldo hit where he was penalized on the ice Gudas received no penalty for this play.

https://youtu.be/I0ZjnCRMDno

If he does, then I'll have no choice but to believe the conspiracy nuts.

I'm not sure how that check gets dirty especially I. The wake of the Rinaldo decision. Radko's only other option was to simply not make the hit. That's the only counterpoint argument.

@pilldoc

Flyers defenseman Radko Gudas did not hear from the NHL regarding his hit on Viktor Stalberg with 1:08 to go in the second period. The Rangers defenseman had his head down and possessed the puck when Gudas hit him from the weak side.

The Rangers continued down the ice and had a shot on goal. When Mason stopped the puck, Jarret Stoll had some words for Gudas, but didn’t challenge him to a fight.

Gudas was not penalized. Stalberg left the game and didn’t return and was ruled out of the Rangers’ game Sunday against Calgary.

“I don’t think (Stoll) saw it properly,” Gudas said.

WHAT???? He uses his elbow to raise his shoulder? I think his shoulder is more than capable of moving itself, independent of any help from the elbow. His elbow is tucked into his side just as you said it should be. Just drop the elbow angle, it isn't helping your argument at all. I try to be as unbiased as I possibly can when posting about these types of things and I have watched all available angles of this video and looked at the still shots of the impact, and all I have to say is, you are flat out wrong. His shoulder first hits the chest and shoulder. It looks like the side of Gudas' head contacts Stalbergs after the initial contact, but the head isn't being targeted at all. No suspension is forthcoming. I don't even think the NHL can make up a reason to suspend him. Legal open ice hit...case closed

@pilldoc

Flyers defenseman Radko Gudas did not hear from the NHL regarding his hit on Viktor Stalberg with 1:08 to go in the second period. The Rangers defenseman had his head down and possessed the puck when Gudas hit him from the weak side.

The Rangers continued down the ice and had a shot on goal. When Mason stopped the puck, Jarret Stoll had some words for Gudas, but didn’t challenge him to a fight.

Gudas was not penalized. Stalberg left the game and didn’t return and was ruled out of the Rangers’ game Sunday against Calgary.

“I don’t think (Stoll) saw it properly,” Gudas said.

Totally agree with everything you said.

Archived