looks Like Vinny might finally get to play

King Knut

They dodged a bucket with B.Schenn being ready to play, but With Raffl most likely needing to sit a few games and coots already out, Vinny might actually have to suit up for a few.

Watch Hakstol dress 7 defenseman instead, LOL

Vinny needs to play. He needs to see for hmself that the game has passed him by.

If Vinny can't see this yet, he may never... a few games in the lineup definitely won't make him realize... he'll just assume he's rusty.

Best case scenario, he is inserted into the line-up....gets a monstrous hat trick, ups his trade value considerably and WHAM....right back fetching popcorn and his value can't go back down that way!

They dodged a bucket with B.Schenn being ready to play, but With Raffl most likely needing to sit a few games and coots already out, Vinny might actually have to suit up for a few.

Ok but where does he play?

Plug him into the 2nd line center role? Move Gagner up to G's line?

Plug him into the 2nd line center role? Move Gagner up to G's line?

Well Gagner up to the first line with as hot as he has been should be a given. I don't like the idea of Vinny on the second line but if you look at the ice time you will see that Hackstol is a firm believer in balancing ice time across the board. It will also cause the least disruption for the other lines continuity if Vinny is plugged into the 2nd line.

Even if he retires, that doesn't help us does it?  Roster spot I guess, but aren't we still on the hook for his salary cap wise?

He didn't sign a 35+ deal - so if he "walks away" from the rest of his contract then the Flyers are off the hook.

It's not out of the realm of possibility - even though he would be "walking away" from $6M ($5.5M after a $500K signing bonus on July 1). He might find a team that would give him a $2.5-$3M "chance."

And the Flyers might even find a team that would be willing to pay $2.5M and $3M for a $4.5M cap hit for both years.

"The problem" is that, if I recall correctly, the buyout period ends June 30 so the Flyers would really need to have something "in the works" if they keep him past July 1.

They aren't helping the situation at all by keeping him as a healthy scratch, though - even though it's likely the best move for the team at this point.

Even if he retires, that doesn't help us does it?  Roster spot I guess, but aren't we still on the hook for his salary cap wise?

if he full-on walks away from his contract?  no, it was an under-35 deal, it would come off the books, as I understand it.

not really holding my breath that he is going to $6+mil on the table, though.

if he full-on walks away from his contract?  no, it was an under-35 deal, it would come off the books, as I understand it.

not really holding my breath that he is going to $6+mil on the table, though.

Under the original new crappy CBA I thought the deal was that it was considered 35+ if the contract lasted in duration past when the player was 35?

He didn't sign a 35+ deal - so if he "walks away" from the rest of his contract then the Flyers are off the hook.

It's not out of the realm of possibility - even though he would be "walking away" from $6M ($5.5M after a $500K signing bonus on July 1). He might find a team that would give him a $2.5-$3M "chance."

And the Flyers might even find a team that would be willing to pay $2.5M and $3M for a $4.5M cap hit for both years.

"The problem" is that, if I recall correctly, the buyout period ends June 30 so the Flyers would really need to have something "in the works" if they keep him past July 1.

They aren't helping the situation at all by keeping him as a healthy scratch, though - even though it's likely the best move for the team at this point.

Oh sweet geebus... people are STILL dreaming that he might up and walk away from ANY part of that contract!? Seriously... this dream has been dreamt about 1000x too many. He will NEVER walk away from that guaranteed money, so people really need to wake up from that dream. 

I mean... seriously... would anyone walk away from that money!? It's almost unheard of. 

Under the original new crappy CBA I thought the deal was that it was considered 35+ if the contract lasted in duration past when the player was 35?

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure a contract is only 35+ if the player is actually 35+ when the deal goes into effect, not how long it lasts.

Oh sweet geebus... people are STILL dreaming that he might up and walk away from ANY part of that contract!? Seriously... this dream has been dreamt about 1000x too many. He will NEVER walk away from that guaranteed money, so people really need to wake up from that dream. 

I mean... seriously... would anyone walk away from that money!? It's almost unheard of. 

I completely agree with you and do not in any way expect him to walk away from the money.

I really expect that the Flyers buy him out in June - if they can't trade him (given the "low" cash for "high" cap hit over the next two years).

Would not surprise me, either, to see them retain salary in the transaction.

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure a contract is only 35+ if the player is actually 35+ when the deal goes into effect, not how long it lasts.

This is correct. The Pronger Situation being a prime example - he "signed" at 34, but the contract took effect at 35.

Per Hextall at the STH town hall last year, if Vinny retires, there's no longer any cap implication to his contract.

EDIT: Not that I expect him to. Just trying to answer the question. I fully expect a buyout. Though I imagine he'll be more willing to accept a trade, ANY trade, at this point.

people are STILL dreaming that he might up and walk away from ANY part of that contract!?

Getting paid $6 million to watch the Flyers play from the pressbox seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.  Sign me up!

Though I imagine he'll be more willing to accept a trade, ANY trade, at this point.

Yeah, the coach he wanted to play for got fired a handful of games into Y1 of his five year deal.

Then the guy that signed him got kicked upstairs.

And he's a healthy scratch starting the season.

Basically nothing like he thought it would be.

Getting paid $6 million to watch the Flyers play from the pressbox seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.  Sign me up!

I am available and very interested in this position. I make a mean cup of joe and I'll keep that popcorn machine humming. 

@hf101

It's hard to figure an endgame between the Flyers and Vinny Lecavalier, but the Flyers are doing everything possible to make life miserable for the former Tampa Bay star. Lecavalier, 35, has been a healthy scratch all seven games this season. Even with coach Craig Berube fired last April, the off-season did not get off to a smooth start after GM Ron Hextall told Lecavalier during his exit meeting: "Just because the coach is changing, don't expect your situation to change." Hextall admitted the Lecavalier situation did not work for either side, but did not buy out Lecavalier last summer. After this year, Lecavalier has two more remaining at a $4.5 million cap hit. The Flyers' best-case scenario is that he gets disgusted enough to walk away, which some believe is Hextall's plan. Lecavalier isn't considering retiring - for now. Though he's made more than $125 million and won a Stanley Cup, a proud Lecavalier wants to go out on a good note. It's a Catch–22 for Hextall: the only prayer to move Vinny is to play him (and eat half his salary). Lecavalier could see his first action of the season Tuesday night against Buffalo with Michael Raffl and Sean Couturier dinged up.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mondaymustread-broke-university-student-an-integral-player-in-hockey-s-social-media-community-1.382897

Let him rot!!!

Bill M.- Nothing apart from Flyers making it clear that Vinny isn't going to play at all short of the team having 2 unavailable forwards at the same time. He takes extra skating, only takes line rushes as a mix-in 4th line RW and is never in the pressbox on game nights (though he may be downstairs at event level at some point before the end of the game; haven't seen him down there this year either).

Damn so he isn't even up high watch making popcorn that shows he doesn't even care.

I would even go with 7 Dmen if i was Hexy and let Streit or MDZ get some time playing at forward before i ice that stiff. Get him off the roster somehow or way.

If he is still on this team after the year i would fully just expect them to buy him out than to have to deal with him another year. 

Players are always looking around the corner at what lies ahead for them after retirement. The Flyers can make a wink, wink nudge deal where Vinny is given a chance to scout for life, on his home turf of the QMJHL even. It's not the money, it's the guarantee that he will be around the game forever and his opinion will be of service....the Flyers have the ability to make this happen...it may be the only chance of ending this mess.

Archived