Please Don't Start Raffl Tomorrow!

King Knut

It looks like they might play Raffl tomorrow and from a medical standpoint, that's a really bad idea.

We've been down this road before.

And Joking About VLC sucking aside, no matter what they do, I don't think they should play Raffl again just yet no matter how "fine" he says he feels.  In the long run it'll be better for the player and probably thus for the team if Raffle just sits.  He should NEED to sit.  It's not a good idea for him to be playing yet.

I don't care who they play instead.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh he has a concussion for sure.

Concussion - temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.

^^^ That is exactly what happened to him. He shouldn't play for a couple of months at least. Any little bump will compound the damage.

To be fair, McCrossin is a trainer, not a doctor. The Flyers' doctors are complete morons.

McCrossin is the first line of defense in the injury game.

Aren't there concussion protocols in ace for this stuff? How can he have passed?

McCrossin is the first line of defense in the injury game.

Aren't there concussion protocols in ace for this stuff? How can he have passed?

1. Sure, but he's not clearing anyone to play.

2. I thought so??? Maybe not?

Plus they have concussion protocols in place they have to pass in order to play. Be i'd also be ok with them holding him out just in case.

What about getting a dozen pills and shots to keep playing through injuries? I think getting around the "protocols" are as easy as stepping around a pile of crap on a dirt road.

Oh he has a concussion for sure.

Concussion - temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.

^^^ That is exactly what happened to him. He shouldn't play for a couple of months at least. Any little bump will compound the damage.

that isn't the actual definition of a concussion, though, right?

no reason to touch a stove that looks like it is hot, but it is possible he did not suffer a concussion, isn't it?  if the tests are coming back ok...why would you hold him out for a couple of months (at least)?  from there, what could you possibly use to decide he is ok to play again, if you are discounting testing from go?

that isn't the actual definition of a concussion, though, right?

no reason to touch a stove that looks like it is hot, but it is possible he did not suffer a concussion, isn't it?  if the tests are coming back ok...why would you hold him out for a couple of months (at least)?  from there, what could you possibly use to decide he is ok to play again, if you are discounting testing from go?

con·cus·sion
kənˈkəSHən/
noun
noun: concussion; plural noun: concussions
temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.
synonyms: temporary unconsciousness;
brain injury
"he suffered a concussion"

noun
a jarring of the brain, caused by a blow or a fall, usually resulting in loss of consciousness
any violent shaking; jarring

Google and Dictionary.com were the references.

So "yes" it is the definition. Also, speaking as someone who's had dozens of serious concussions, I can tell you that resting the brain for a couple of months is the minimum you can do for yourself.

You are also ignoring something important. The team wants the players to play no matter what. Resting players until they are fully healthy is almost never done.

What about getting a dozen pills and shots to keep playing through injuries? I think getting around the "protocols" are as easy as stepping around a pile of crap on a dirt road.

Trolling or serious? The brain isn't a muscle/bone/ligament/tendon.

con·cus·sion

kənˈkəSHən/

noun

noun: concussion; plural noun: concussions

temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity. synonyms: temporary unconsciousness;

brain injury

"he suffered a concussion"

noun

a jarring of the brain, caused by a blow or a fall, usually resulting in loss of consciousness

any violent shaking; jarring

Google and Dictionary.com were the references.

So "yes" it is the definition. Also, speaking as someone who's had dozens of serious concussions, I can tell you that resting the brain for a couple of months is the minimum you can do for yourself.

You are also ignoring something important. The team wants the players to play no matter what. Resting players until they are fully healthy is almost never done.

TERRIBLE sources. WebMD at least...

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/traumatic-brain-injury-concussion-overview

Brief excerpt go prove a point:

You don't have to pass out (lose consciousness) to have a concussion. Some people will have obvious symptoms of a concussion, such as passing out or forgetting what happened right before the injury. But other people won't. With rest, most people fully recover from a concussion. Some people recover within a few hours. Other people take a few weeks to recover.

Trolling or serious? The brain isn't a muscle/bone/ligament/tendon.

I never said the brain was a muscle but it does have some muscle in it. So you don't think Pro athletes are on pills for most of their career? Trolling or serious? Since when do owners care about the long term health of their players? There are college athletes that have injuries that require constant maintenance.

The doctors for pro sports teams work for the teams, not for the players.

TERRIBLE sources. WebMD at least...

http://www.m.webmd.c...ussion-overview

Brief excerpt go prove a point:

You don't have to pass out (lose consciousness) to have a concussion. Some people will have obvious symptoms of a concussion, such as passing out or forgetting what happened right before the injury. But other people won't. With rest, most people fully recover from a concussion. Some people recover within a few hours. Other people take a few weeks to recover.

So you are telling me that Dictionary.com is a "TERRIBLE" source for the definition of a word? 

The source you found states that you don't have to lose consciousness to be diagnosed with a concussion, that's true. The fact that he lost consciousness a few minutes later is a sign of a serious concussion. Not a minor one. Also, your source says "Some people recover within a few hours. Other people take a few weeks to recover." << That's total BS. just look at Crosby. It was a year for him but your source says "a few hours or a few weeks..." there's no long term concussions according to them? That's total nonsense.

The guy got rocked on the chin and a couple of minutes later consciousness, then had to ask a team mate what happened, then was unsteady on his feet. How is that not a concussion? 

I see you also didn't add this;

"It's important to know that after a concussion the brain is more sensitive to damage. So while you are recovering, be sure to avoid activities that might injure you again."

It was the very next sentence after what you quoted.

Well I know one thing it's the leading cause of CTE for sure. And I agree the doctors work for the team not the players. It's a tricky topic for sure. And even if you rush back it could be way later in life before the effects are seen and sadly it will be to late by then.

But it is a serious subject not to be taken likely by the's young men it's only a game.

Well I know one thing it's the leading cause of CTE for sure. And I agree the doctors work for the team not the players. It's a tricky topic for sure. And even if you rush back it could be way later in life before the effects are seen and sadly it will be to late by then.

But it is a serious subject not to be taken likely by the's young men it's only a game.

A lot of NHLers have killed themselves because of it recently and a lot of NFLers die early etc. This is why all of the rules for headhunting in both leagues have been changed over the last several years.

A lot of NHLers have killed themselves because of it recently and a lot of NFLers die early etc. This is why all of the rules for headhunting in both leagues have been changed over the last several years.

Many NFL players have killed themselves to because of it Junior Seau is one of the most recent ones. Andre Waters, Shane Dronett, Daventry Duerson, Adrian Robertson just last week...those are some just off the top of my head.

1. Sure, but he's not clearing anyone to play.

2. I thought so??? Maybe not?

He shouldn't be, but he's handling th day to day and maintenance and symptom management. So he's the one who should know how a guy is feeling and who should be effectively managing rehab and recovery.

Many NFL players have killed themselves to because of it Junior Seau is one of the most recent ones. Andre Waters, Shane Dronett, Daventry Duerson, Adrian Robertson just last week...those are some just off the top of my head.

Good point. I could have gone into more detail but it sounded argumentative, so I didn't.

He shouldn't be, but he's handling th day to day and maintenance and symptom management. So he's the one who should know how a guy is feeling and who should be effectively managing rehab and recovery.

If he is "handling symptoms", then he should not do anything that will cause pressure on the brain, like hockey. "Symptoms" means he has a concussion.

Archived