Should the Penguins keep Sprong?

hf101

Daniel-Sprong-3-575x650.jpg?fit=575%2C44

Daniel Sprong is approaching the 10 game mark, with 1 goal in 6 games while spending much of his minutes on the third line.  Rutherford apparently likes what he sees thus far and is seriously thinking of keeping him on the Penguins roster.

What do you all think of Sprong staying with the Penguins, is it the right for his development?  Or is this decision based mainly on helping keep the Penguins under the cap?

From what I've seen, I'm not sure what else he could gain in jrs. Third line at the moment suits him very well. It gives him time, and teaches him defensive responsibility. I just don't want to see him buried on the fourth. I see no issue keeping him up. Might suck to lose a year on entry contract,but I think the best thing for spring is to stay in the NHL.

From what I've seen, I'm not sure what else he could gain in jrs. Third line at the moment suits him very well. It gives him time, and teaches him defensive responsibility. I just don't want to see him buried on the fourth. I see no issue keeping him up. Might suck to lose a year on entry contract,but I think the best thing for spring is to stay in the NHL.

Couldn't agree more.  Especially considering the alternatives. 

@B21  @nossagog

I dunno, 9.5 min of ice time in tonight's game vs the Caps the lowest minutes on the team, with 1 shot on net.  This doesn't look like a player who is ready to stay in the NHL imo.

HF, not sure why the ice time was so low tonight. But that's was my worry.   If you don't want to use him, then don't waste his time.  It's not like he was making mistakes tonight, he played a decent game.    If he's going to lose even more time when Fehr comes back, then you may as well send him down.  I don't like it, but use him or lose him. 

Sprong has been a spark plug for the team. Keep him up and give him third line minutes. Heard his name a lot tonight against the Sabres...

This.  As long as he gets no less than 3rd line minutes.  I don't want to see Tangradi 2.0 or Brittle Beau circa 2013. His skill set projects him as a top 9 winger. Play him there here or send him back to Juniors.

• 1 month later...

So Sprong has been scratched in 9 of 23 games this season. I know he's been healthy for the last 5 or so games, have they all been healthy scratches? What's the point of keeping him on the club when you can send him to Juniors where he will actually play (even if you have already burned a year off his ELC)?

• 3 weeks later...

Total mismanagement by Rutherford, who is one of the biggest problems with this team. Just a continuation of bad player personnel moves. Burn a year of UFA, sit him in the pressbox, then send him back to juniors.  Just another head scratcher for Rutherford

Total mismanagement by Rutherford, who is one of the biggest problems with this team. Just a continuation of bad player personnel moves. Burn a year of UFA, sit him in the pressbox, then send him back to juniors.  Just another head scratcher for Rutherford

Dumb, really dumb.

As I mentioned in the first post, this seemed to have bene purely a hopeful cap savings move.   

Archived