Jeff Neiburg is Upgrade

Howie58

Greetings:

This new reporter with the Daily News (Seravalli's replacement) is pretty hard hitting.  His take on tonight's game with the Devils is no exception; Mason is not the culprit and the first line is taken to task for lack of production.  His writing is not feel good.  I wonder if the suits at the Inquirer will put up with this for long?

Howie

Mason is not the culprit and the first line is taken to task for lack of production

I agree it's not on him....he made some great saves...but that wrister from the top of the circles by Palmieri has to be stopped.

200.gif

The great goaltenders don't get beat by those in a tie game. That was on him and he needs to own it.

I only quickly saw the highlights, but was that the goal where Palmieri did an incredible move?

No Medvedev turned the puck over at their blueline he swooped in took it from him came in with a head of stream and fired a wrister from the top of the circle and beat Mason cleanly/badly whatever you want to call it!!!!

The 3rd goal to take the 2-1 lead.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020138&navid=sb:recap&intcmpid=sb-highlights

I only quickly saw the highlights, but was that the goal where Palmieri did an incredible move?

Maybe he just has Mason's number...he looks bad on this one as well...

...no matter Mason now 0-7 versus the Devils.......

200.gif

Greetings:

Per other thread, i don't always agree with Mike Milbury but his assessment of Mason (he gives up inopportune goals after making miraculous saves) has some merit. 

My gut says Mason's save percentage may have peaked last year.  Only time will tell.  Eyeballing the standings and our GF/GA differential is what smacks you almost immediately. i guess the question that arises is whether it is a lousy/underperforming group of forwards or a d-corps that doesn't have much offensive, puck carrying flair with the exception of MDZ?

This guy's write-ups have an edge. I think it will be interesting to see what happens by Black Friday...will we see a real improvement with Hakstol at the Helm, or do we have a year that isn't much different than Berube's last effort? That was in Neiburg's latest piece....of course, we've probably concluded that anyhow.

Howie

Per other thread, i don't always agree with Mike Milbury but his assessment of Mason (he gives up inopportune goals after making miraculous saves) has some merit. 

I agree God i do not like that dude so agreeing with him really bothers me but in this case he is right...last nights goal to take the lead that i mentioned was one he should of had and the team needed that and well he didn't deliver. Sure he made some good ones but right or wrong it's the ones he didn't make are the ones that stick in our crawl.....or it does mine.

with the exception of MDZ

And speaking of him his all around game has shown improvement i think but when Luke is out performing you in the stats column that is an issue. Is his all around game improvement the reason his number and effectiveness is happening?

Yes i guess but he needs to find a way to get some key goals.

Through 9 games he has 1 point no goals and is -4 so for a unoffical #1 that ain't getting it done. He needs to bring his offense back into the equation soon....really soon this team is starved for goals and he can help in that area.

If they are ever to move Streit he is going to have to step up and show he can take his spot and he isn't doing that.

Occam:

I want to be fair to Hakstol and give the man a half season to put his stamp on the team.  I got tickets for Black Friday when visiting with my brother and hope we perform well against the Preds.  By that time we should have a Hakstol "identity."  

The aging of our superstars is a problem...one caused by our friend Paul....no Apostle of the Cap in my mind.  His decisions will have a spillover for many years.  

MDZ's performance is interesting...didn't realize he had such bad numbers. Yikes.  But I will give him time too.  

One thing we know for sure: Vinny won't be any better under Hakstol.  He only had 7 mins playing time.  That albatross is costing us money and heavy opportunity costs with younger player development.

Best,

Howie

I suspect the Brass knows the score and may be more disappointed than some of the folks here.  That said, my backyard Panthers may be less hindered by deadwood because they didn't have the bucks to waste on bad signings.  the 7-1 shellacking I witnessed two weeks ago woke me up on that score.  And it made me angry.

Howie

Occam:

I want to be fair to Hakstol and give the man a half season to put his stamp on the team.  I got tickets for Black Friday when visiting with my brother and hope we perform well against the Preds.  By that time we should have a Hakstol "identity."  

The aging of our superstars is a problem...one caused by our friend Paul....no Apostle of the Cap in my mind.  His decisions will have a spillover for many years.  

MDZ's performance is interesting...didn't realize he had such bad numbers. Yikes.  But I will give him time too.  

One thing we know for sure: Vinny won't be any better under Hakstol.  He only had 7 mins playing time.  That albatross is costing us money and heavy opportunity costs with younger player development.

Best,

Howie

I know only a few games but wow!!!!!!! There needs more gutting shocker and who could we for the big names?  Size,skill and fast skaters . Not jumping ship just saying.

If the new writer is taking the Flyers to task....he should. Oddly enough, the press needs to keep a full court press on this team until things improve. I think Hexy's hands are tied and I don't really blame Hak either, but these players are not rising up to the occasion....they need to man up and take responsibility for this tragic mess.

As an aside, I can think of 3 goals against MDZ where his partner made a huge blunder and the other team scored.  I was thinking to myself how a flawed stat the +/- is since there was absolutely nothing MDZ could do.  Two of the goals were Manning turn overs if I can remember correctly. 

Archived