"Quick"-strike Cardiac Kings

ScottM

Jonathan-Quick-thumbnail.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, when I wrote my first power rankings article, I ranked the Kings dead last. There was good reason for doing so. They were 0-3 after losing 5-1 to the Sharks, 4-1 to the Coyotes, and 3-0 to the Canucks. They weren't just losing, but they were losing badly.

Two weeks later, things look far, far different. Los Angeles is now the hottest team in the league, and I currently have them ranked fifth. The offense still is okay, but not extremely explosive. The goaltending, however, has been excellent. Jonathan Quick has made an impressive turnaround. In the first three games, his goals against average was .860, and his goals against average was 3.70. Five starts later, those numbers are now .928 and 2.00. It's very early,but if he holds onto those stats, he'll be in territory he's only reached once in his career. In the 2011-12 season, he posted stats of .929 and 1.95. If he can continue to play like he has in the last five, or at least somewhat close to it, we'll be looking at his best season ever. This from a guy who plays his best hockey in the playoffs.

I say all that to say this. Jonathan Quick seems to be in top form. The Pacific Division, with the Ducks and Flames in their current state of limbo looks far friendlier to Los Angeles than I previously thought it would be. As things look now, I think L.A. has a real shot at a top two finish in the division. That would give them a friendly playoff path. If Quick is the same goalie in the postseason that we saw in 2012 and 2013, the Kings suddenly look like a real contender. How far can they go?

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2015 at 4:32 PM, ScottM said:

Jonathan-Quick-thumbnail.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, when I wrote my first power rankings article, I ranked the Kings dead last. There was good reason for doing so. They were 0-3 after losing 5-1 to the Sharks, 4-1 to the Coyotes, and 3-0 to the Canucks. They weren't just losing, but they were losing badly.

Two weeks later, things look far, far different. Los Angeles is now the hottest team in the league, and I currently have them ranked fifth. The offense still is okay, but not extremely explosive. The goaltending, however, has been excellent. Jonathan Quick has made an impressive turnaround. In the first three games, his goals against average was .860, and his goals against average was 3.70. Five starts later, those numbers are now .928 and 2.00. It's very early,but if he holds onto those stats, he'll be in territory he's only reached once in his career. In the 2011-12 season, he posted stats of .929 and 1.95. If he can continue to play like he has in the last five, or at least somewhat close to it, we'll be looking at his best season ever. This from a guy who plays his best hockey in the playoffs.

I say all that to say this. Jonathan Quick seems to be in top form. The Pacific Division, with the Ducks and Flames in their current state of limbo looks far friendlier to Los Angeles than I previously thought it would be. As things look now, I think L.A. has a real shot at a top two finish in the division. That would give them a friendly playoff path. If Quick is the same goalie in the postseason that we saw in 2012 and 2013, the Kings suddenly look like a real contender. How far can they go?

Anze Kopitar has been Extended for 8 years at 10 million per AAV --------------------------YIKES!!!!!!

with a NMC!!!

2 hours ago, radoran said:

That's just plain a horrible deal.

Terrible on every level. Too much for too long with a NMC cherry on top.

yup. Well, Stamkos is gonna be more expensive for the Bolts now. Not only is he the primo creme de la creme UFA that everyone will throw money at, but Johnson has regressed badly enough that Yzerman should be scared of losing Stamkos now. Last year, the attitude may have been "Well, we have the triplets"

On 1/13/2016 at 3:47 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

yup. Well, Stamkos is gonna be more expensive for the Bolts now. Not only is he the primo creme de la creme UFA that everyone will throw money at, but Johnson has regressed badly enough that Yzerman should be scared of losing Stamkos now. Last year, the attitude may have been "Well, we have the triplets"

Kopitar year by year: $14 mil, $13 mil, $12 mil, $11mil, $8mil, $8mil,$7mil,$7 mil. No move clause immediately and first 4 yrs.

YIKES!!!

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Kings playing damn the future, go for it now.

Well, since they got a "Get out of Jail free card" with Richards, why not?

So much for resigning Lucic now though. Unless they can move Brown. Since Brown is a 5-6 million dollar guy who scores 20 points, I doubt it.

Edit: Maybe Vinny will say "I like it here, I am not retiring after all"

• 1 month later...

Archived