Obvious Reason for Poor Play

King Knut

Joking aside,

I expected the offense to be terrible for a few months, while they ironed out "the system" and figured things out... but I am absolutely dumb founded as to why the team could play smart defense and forechecking and backchecking ] and transition for the majority of their first 7 games and then have all of that completely fall apart.

The other common factor is they're playing other bad teams.  This was a problem last year.  The attack and execute against the Rangers and the Blackhawks and they sit back and wait for the Devils and the Sabres to dictate the pace and state of play.  Makes no sense.

The other common factor is they're playing other bad teams. This was a problem last year. The attack and execute against the Rangers and the Blackhawks and they sit back and wait for the Devils and the Sabres to dictate the pace and state of play. Makes no sense.

They don't have a straw that stirs the drink. They don't have a player who can simply take a game over (not a shift, a game).

Quite frankly, they don't have the leadership on the ice to get the team going.

It's a listless, directionless ship.

And they get beat 4-1 in Edmonton and are focused on "the good things" they did. VANCOUVER!

Hey, guys - you just lost 4-1 to a 4-8 Edmonton team.

But they had shots! And chances! And "dominated play"!

Good things! Good things!

And they get beat 4-1 in Edmonton and are focused on "the good things" they did.

Did you mean Vancouver or are you projecting.....HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :blink[1]:

They don't have a straw that stirs the drink. They don't have a player who can simply take a game over (not a shift, a game).

Quite frankly, they don't have the leadership on the ice to get the team going.

It's a listless, directionless ship.

And they get beat 4-1 in Edmonton and are focused on "the good things" they did.

But they had shots! And chances! And "dominated play"!

Good things! Good things!

Honestly, If their claims of dominating play and generating chances were true, I'd totally agree with them.  Losing because they're not scoring now is actually utterly fine... in theory.

Offense is the last piece of the puzzle when trying to sort out a new system.  The fact that they can't score doesn't bother me.  The fact that they're losing doesn't bother me.  Not at this point.

The fact that they've regressed in their forechecking, backchecking and transition game bugs the heck out of me.  The fact that they look like they could care less about playing the game bothers the heck out of me.  That's a major problem. 

If everything else really WAS working better I would totally buy that logic.  But as it is, it's a bit of a lie.

Agreed, rad and King. Listless and about as uncreative as I've seen. Giroux, voracek, and Simmonds have always been players of habit to some extent, each having favorite moves or shooting areas that they maybe rely on too much ...but at this point they are starting to remind me of flock of seagulls playing I Ran over and over and over for decades.

Don't know what the cause is, or The Fixx.

Giroux, voracek, and Simmonds have always been players of habit to some extent, each having favorite moves or shooting areas that they maybe rely on too much 

I'm not really sure what this means. Hockey players have favorite moves?

Giroux has all the skills that elite players have. Voracek too.

I submit that the issue is one of chemistry between players and structures that allow/support/foster creativity as opposed to those that smother it. I don't think it has to do with the individual skills. At least not of those players. Other of our players do appear to not be as skilled as some top 6 players on other teams.

Other of our players do appear to not be as skilled as some top 6 players on other teams.

Spot. On.

They have a gaping hole at top line left wing that they haven't been able to fill. And, while Giroux is certainly a talented hockey player, I don't know that he has Crosby's ability to spin gold out of Pascal Dupuis.

They also have an issue at second line center - which they are hoping Couturier will solve. But he hasn't, yet. And they apparently have no faith in Schenn in that role.

And while Simmonds is likely my favorite Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Flyer, he's been very reliant upon special teams production.

The team does not have a lot of real, proven "Top Six" talent. They have a lot of promise and potential and hope that it works out.

Well, giroux has that shooting hole just above the left faceoff dot. Voracek drives down the right boards to just below the right dot, then cuts in and back and takes a snap shot low to the near post. Simmonds parks on the left post, takes passes and spins to jam the puck under the goalie on his forehand.

Giroux rarely carries the puck from his favorite spot. Voracek rarely continues down the boards behind the net. Simmonds rarely uses his backhand or tries to deflect those shot/passes. They are predictable in where they want the puck, and what they are going to do once they have it. Makes them easy to scout and (relatively) easy to cover. It's become a real problem this season, because there has been even less variation than in seasons past.

The issue as I see it, anyway. Could totally come from a stifling environment, as you suggest.

Agreed with most of the comments in the is thread thus far. It occurred to me, watching last night's version of groundhog day, that they are all just thinking too much. I don't think it's a coincidence that this slide has come after that 5 day break. The one that we were actually playing pretty well ahead of. 

They've probably all been fed a lot to think about out there and I feel that it just kinda shows. With Berube, it looked as though they all had to play renegade style. We had a group of freelancers trying to put together a team game. That didn't work so well on a consistent basis.

Now it seems they are on the same page... it's just that they can't read that page very well, nor turn it. They will come out of this funk... and I'm sure we'll see some good games, but right now they are all out of balance. I expect to see Simmonds on milk cartons around philly any day. Voracek's fingerprints are probably indented on his sticks. Giroux is just trying anything he can to do something. It's a fine mess in other words, SNAFU. 

Well, giroux has that shooting hole just above the left faceoff dot. Voracek drives down the right boards to just below the right dot, then cuts in and back and takes a snap shot low to the near post. Simmonds parks on the left post, takes passes and spins to jam the puck under the goalie on his forehand. 

Giroux rarely carries the puck from his favorite spot. Voracek rarely continues down the boards behind the net. Simmonds rarely uses his backhand or tries to deflect those shot/passes. They are predictable in where they want the puck, and what they are going to do once they have it. Makes them easy to scout and (relatively) easy to cover. It's become a real problem this season, because there has been even less variation than in seasons past. 

The issue as I see it, anyway.

Fiar enuff. I don't watch or experience hockey the same way you do, lol. But then you're a goalie, so you're weird. ;)

Daniel Briere is a front office poison.

he's hired, the team tanks. Coincidence? I think not.

I have no better explanation.

I had to laugh when he was interviewed a couple weeks ago, talking about learning the ropes from Homer....GOOD GOD NO!!!

The team has to decide whether it's going to Stand or Fall.

It's too busy with the question of Are We Ourselves?

I'm just hoping for red skies at night. 

We're going Deeper and Deeper here, aren't we?

:thumbsu:

Archived