McDavid, Broken Clavical - Crashes into the boards vs Flyers

hf101

Wow..just saw the news.  That does not look good.  Hope it is not too serious but if McLellan is caling it long term then it could quite possibly be a broken clavicle.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Not dirty, though Oilers fans want Philadelphia nuked until it glows. Just rotten luck, IMO.

Hey,loads of us want it nuked on general principles, what wrong with that?

Just bad luck there,nothing wrong with the play.

Broken collar bone. Based on experience, I'd say that's 4-6 weeks min.

I can truly say that I know what he's going through. I broke my collarbone (clavicle) when I fell off my bike one time. It feels like someone is driving a railway spike through your shoulder. You lose the use of that arm, it goes in a sling (no cast possible), and then it hurts the entire time that it's healing -- which is about two months.

:(

Hate to see him get an injury... he has come into the league as advertised.

Agreed!  That being said, I blame McDavid for the injury. How dare he have tremendous speed and a desire to drive the net and create scoring opportunities. It's a good thing the Flyers didn't have a chance to draft him, because a guy like that would never fit in with this Flyers team. :ph34r:  

On the bright side, McDavid should be back before the all-star game. He could still have a great second half to the season and win the Calder.  (As long as they don't go by total points.)

Odds are they'll put him in some fluid-filled capsule with tubes sticking out of him like something out of an aliens movie and he'll be back in a week.  ;)

With or without the injury suffered to McDavid there is some strong competition in the league this year for the Calder...  Max Domi, Eichel, Larkin, Panarin, DuClair, Ehlers.

I can truly say that I know what he's going through. I broke my collarbone (clavicle) when I fell off my bike one time. It feels like someone is driving a railway spike through your shoulder. You lose the use of that arm, it goes in a sling (no cast possible), and then it hurts the entire time that it's healing -- which is about two months.

:(

Yeah, been there. Depends on how clean the break was, but 6-8 weeks is reasonable. You can't really come back before the bone is fully healed or you're just gonna hurt it again.

Max Domi, Eichel, Larkin, Panarin, DuClair, Ehlers.

With McJesus out for a few months, my money is more firmly than ever on Domi or Ehlers. But Panarain sure looks good and he's on a great team, playing (generally) with Kane and is older. Larkin is damn good, but I just don't see the offensive numbers coming for him sufficiently to win it.

Look at the bright side....the Oilers will now likely draft Mathews.  :angry:

Or they go "RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl........... why bother drafting for a C?" Package that pick with Ference to dump him and go after a reliable top Dman.

Its that or they trade RNH for a top Dman.

A team like Nashville might just consider trading Seth Jones who is coming into his own, but stuck behind Weber/Josi. Fisher and Ribiero are 35 years old. 11 million in cap space and lacking a #1 C, so RNH might be ideal for them.

If the Blues Parayko keeps piling on points and acting like this years Klingberg, do they extend Shattenkirk with their Cap woes? Parayko is the real deal. Hell of a shot and great defensive instincts. 6'5 and mobile and stuck behind Piet and Shat on the right side. But his shot will keep him on that 2nd PP.

Austin Matthews would be coming into the right age right around the time Stastny and Lehtera's contracts are up too.

food for thought.

Sucks for McDavid, the Oilers, and the Edmonton fanbase.

They finally look like they have turned a corner with regards to better management and coaching...and even look like they are ready to jettison dead weight players and carve out a true identity for themselves.....then this.

As for dirty or play or no, I were to guess based on the clips I saw and what has been said on various media outlets and here as well, I would go with "freak accident".

Now, if there is ANY silver lining here (yea, I know, hard to imagine there is one for McDavid and the Oilers), it's this:

The Oilers are gonna find out in short order, just what kind of player, fortitude-wise, they have in McDavid.

This is a painful injury that happened during the course of C-Mac playing hard....when he comes back, will that weigh on him? Will he be tentative...afraid to go into corners or go full on body on body to fight for the puck against 1, 2 or even 3 guys that are surely going to be assigned to him the rest of his career?

No one can question C-Mac's talent....but this injury will go a long ways to measuring his heart and courage.

But coming back as a more timid player due to this will definitely cut into his overall ability to perform on the ice.

Minnesota's Jason Zucker suffered this same injury in Feb earlier this year.

He was a player who, when he first came up, seemed to shy away from heavy contact...then started to play a bit more hard nosed, got the injury, and many speculated that he may return to the same timid guy who first came up for the Wild.

Well, Zucker not only made his recovery in just a hair over 2 months, but he came back and seemingly never lost a step, was not lacking for heart and courage...in fact, he seemed to have come back even more hard nosed as he can be seen routinely going into the hard areas of the ice, even initiating contact, and just going where he needs to go to get in the best position to score.

Heart-n-soul-player-right-there!

Obviously, every player is different, injuries can be unique (even ones that are the same) from player to player.

We will see how long McDavid is out.

He is a larger individual than Zucker, who goes only about 5'9 ir 5'10 and about 180 or so pounds, and, taking nothing away from Zucker's skillset, McDavid is quite a bit above him in overall skill.

Now the injury will measure how much heart C-mac has, to go along with his extensive skills.

Speedy recovery to Connor McDavid.

Barring any unforseen complications, I think if a good, smaller player like Zucker can come back quickly and be as good as he was before, I think an elite type, larger player like McDavid should at least be able to do the same.

My sympathies to the Edmonton fan base.....but you know, the Oilers are STILL my pick to raise the Cup before any other Canadian based franchise does....just not this year ;)

On the bright side, McDavid should be back before the all-star game. He could still have a great second half to the season and win the Calder. (As long as they don't go by total points.)

Odds are they'll put him in some fluid-filled capsule with tubes sticking out of him like something out of an aliens movie and he'll be back in a week. ;)

Or they could put him in a Bacta tank like in Star Wars

I was just trying to pull from many different sci fi things.  :)

If you are into heavy metal music, DBZ has some of the most incredible sound tracks set up with their movies. My kids turned me onto the cartoon when I heard some great music emanating from their room.

https://youtu.be/lHugZxOYrbM

this is just a sample.......

Sucks for McDavid, the Oilers, and the Edmonton fanbase.

They finally look like they have turned a corner with regards to better management and coaching...and even look like they are ready to jettison dead weight players and carve out a true identity for themselves.....then this.

As for dirty or play or no, I were to guess based on the clips I saw and what has been said on various media outlets and here as well, I would go with "freak accident".

Now, if there is ANY silver lining here (yea, I know, hard to imagine there is one for McDavid and the Oilers), it's this:

The Oilers are gonna find out in short order, just what kind of player, fortitude-wise, they have in McDavid.

This is a painful injury that happened during the course of C-Mac playing hard....when he comes back, will that weigh on him? Will he be tentative...afraid to go into corners or go full on body on body to fight for the puck against 1, 2 or even 3 guys that are surely going to be assigned to him the rest of his career?

No one can question C-Mac's talent....but this injury will go a long ways to measuring his heart and courage.

But coming back as a more timid player due to this will definitely cut into his overall ability to perform on the ice.

Minnesota's Jason Zucker suffered this same injury in Feb earlier this year.

He was a player who, when he first came up, seemed to shy away from heavy contact...then started to play a bit more hard nosed, got the injury, and many speculated that he may return to the same timid guy who first came up for the Wild.

Well, Zucker not only made his recovery in just a hair over 2 months, but he came back and seemingly never lost a step, was not lacking for heart and courage...in fact, he seemed to have come back even more hard nosed as he can be seen routinely going into the hard areas of the ice, even initiating contact, and just going where he needs to go to get in the best position to score.

Heart-n-soul-player-right-there!

Obviously, every player is different, injuries can be unique (even ones that are the same) from player to player.

We will see how long McDavid is out.

He is a larger individual than Zucker, who goes only about 5'9 ir 5'10 and about 180 or so pounds, and, taking nothing away from Zucker's skillset, McDavid is quite a bit above him in overall skill.

Now the injury will measure how much heart C-mac has, to go along with his extensive skills.

Speedy recovery to Connor McDavid.

Barring any unforseen complications, I think if a good, smaller player like Zucker can come back quickly and be as good as he was before, I think an elite type, larger player like McDavid should at least be able to do the same.

My sympathies to the Edmonton fan base.....but you know, the Oilers are STILL my pick to raise the Cup before any other Canadian based franchise does....just not this year ;)

One thing I noticed about McDavid was, he didn't freak out when he got hit. He knew something was wrong, but he just got up, skated over and picked up his stick, and went to the bench. 

The last generational talent that came up would have thrown a spoiled brat hissy fit, the refs would have banned both players from the league and he would have gone, bawling, to the dressing room.

I think McDavid handles the injury like the pro he is.

Archived