Time for Wider Nets?

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@WordsOfWisdom

Strombo/Kypreos/Hrudey discussed it  last night. They showed a stat that there was 1354 posts last year. So if they only widen the net by the width of the post, thats a lot more goals...from 5.32 per game to 6.43. The other idea was to force goalies to wear the same size jersey that skaters where, and have to fit their equipment under that. 

@WordsOfWisdom    My thoughts, it's a bastardization of our game. All records from that point forward should have an asterisk. It's tough enough now to compare players from different eras, now we have to factor in that all the shots that used to hit goalposts are now goals when comparing them???  This is sickening. This is wrong. Make the goalies wear jersey's like the other players wear, which is a big change also, but does change the game as dramatically.

@jammer2

I've always been against wider nets. But when goalies are now 6'8" and the Art Ross winner has 87 points...somethings gotta change. I'm all for trying the sweater size first, but really won't have that big an issue if they widen the net by the width of the post.

All the records previous to this century could have an asterisk saying they were scored on goalies a foot shorter wearing half the equipment..some of whom were drunk?

@flyercanuck  I get where you are coming from, but there was the possibility that some bigger goalies would break into the league, although I freely admit they are getting bigger and bigger. You don't see MLB moving the pitchers mound in closer to add runs, or the NBA raising or lowering the rim, or the NFL making the end zone longer.....why....because it is to drastic....I think changing the net size is comparable to the other changes I mentioned.

Even if it comes to making the nets wider. Take small steps, like 1/4 of an inch all around. That just means that ringing one off the post today, means something like a 50 / 50 chance of it being a goal tomorrow.

Personally, I don't think the nets should be larger at all.

This whole deal is hype by the NHL. 

First, who says we need more goals? You play the game, some end with lots of goals, some don't. BIG DEAL. Only a bush league like the NHL would even consider such a thing.

Has there been a hue and cry in basketball to raise the nets because of the fact that humans are much taller now than when the game was invented? Or make the court bigger. NO. The idea is ridiculous.

How about football? Do you hear "let's make the ball bigger to cause more fumbles and make it harder to pass?" "or maybe we should narrow up the goalposts" "Let's take the points off the ends of the ball so it's easier to handle?" NO. 

Baseball? Yep too many/not enough home runs. Let's make the ball smaller/bigger. Let's make the diamond bigger/smaller. Let's change the size/weight of the bats. NO!!

All games evolve as do the players. Let's not shoot down the entire history of the game. Good grief...

The size of equipment is already controlled. Let's just leave it at that.

Here's an idea. Cut out some of the financially weak franchises and reduce the number of teams so that the talent level goes UP.  LEAVE OUR GAME ALONE.

:angry:

@WordsOfWisdom

Strombo/Kypreos/Hrudey discussed it  last night. They showed a stat that there was 1354 posts last year. So if they only widen the net by the width of the post, thats a lot more goals...from 5.32 per game to 6.43. The other idea was to force goalies to wear the same size jersey that skaters where, and have to fit their equipment under that. 

I watched that segment. That's why I figured it was a good time to bring it up here. The idea is gaining serious traction in the NHL for it to be mentioned on HNIC. 

@WordsOfWisdom    My thoughts, it's a bastardization of our game. All records from that point forward should have an asterisk. It's tough enough now to compare players from different eras, now we have to factor in that all the shots that used to hit goalposts are now goals when comparing them???  This is sickening. This is wrong. Make the goalies wear jersey's like the other players wear, which is a big change also, but does change the game as dramatically.

I used to feel exactly the same way, except that what you're saying has already come true. Today's extreme low scoring is already a bastardization of the game. Players in this era have no chance of challenging goal scoring records from the past. They can't even hit 100 points anymore. Only the goalies are breaking records these days.

Every player today has an asterisk next to their name that reads something like this: "Multiply all goals and assists by 1.5 to compare with players of previous eras". So however many points Ovechkin gets in his career, he should have been 1.5x higher than he is.

On HNIC, they listed the players with the highest goal scoring rate. Ovechkin was third behind Bossy and Lemieux. Well guess what? Ovechkin is actually #1. He outscores Bossy and Lemieux when you consider that his entire career has been played in an era with almost half the goal scoring + the salary cap factor which prevents dynasties and ensures that Ovechkin is the only elite player on his team unlike with Bossy and Lemieux.

I was hoping the NHL could solve this problem by reducing goalie equipment size, but that has always been a "line in the sand" issue for goalies, plus the goalies are growing faster than their equipment is shrinking, so there is no other alternative. The clutching and grabbing is mostly gone from the game. There is nothing to impede scoring other than goalies that now cover the entire net without having to move.

Even while watching the shootout last night it becomes clear: shooters shouldn't have a paltry 25% success rate against a goalie on a clear breakaway. It should be closer to 50%. The goalie should be at their mercy in that situation. Instead, it's just "ho hum, another breakaway, yawn...". 

I don't know what else to do.  :unsure[1]:

Players in this era have no chance of challenging goal scoring records from the past. They can't even hit 100 points anymore. Only the goalies are breaking records these days.

I think there are a few reasons why the players can't hit 100 pts anymore. The coaching strategies are more complex than ever. The tools at the coaches disposal have become more high tech than ever. It took awhile, but we finally have enough elite players from the USA and Europe to compensate for the expansion process. The US in particular is now reaping the rewards of the grass root development of minor league hockey. 10 years ago, no one in California played hockey, now we are seeing the trickle down effect of players coming from states that used to ignore hockey. Players no longer want to stay in the Swedish Elite League for example, they want to play in North America....in years past, a lot of talented players never left Sweden, they were happy to play out their careers in Europe. As more and more players join the NHL, the skill level rises and there is more parity.

Is it really the amount of goals scored that makes a game exciting? Are wider nets going to somehow end all the systematic coaching that goes on? To me it just feels like a cheap way to prop up goal totals while not really addressing an actual problem. Also, I think making the nets wider could just lead to teams being even more conservative or even more shot blocking.

Is it really the amount of goals scored that makes a game exciting? Are wider nets going to somehow end all the systematic coaching that goes on? To me it just feels like a cheap way to prop up goal totals while not really addressing an actual problem. Also, I think making the nets wider could just lead to teams being even more conservative or even more shot blocking.

To a certain extent, yes. More importantly however, is the quality of the goals being scored. Are we seeing "good" (aka: highly skilled) goals being scored in the NHL or "garbage" (aka: lucky bounce) goals? :o

To a certain extent, yes. More importantly however, is the quality of the goals being scored. Are we seeing "good" (aka: highly skilled) goals being scored in the NHL or "garbage" (aka: lucky bounce) goals? :o

So the solution is to decrease the difficulty of scoring goals by widening the nets? Doesn't that kind of cheapen the goals that do get scored? Also, many coaches are already defensive minded. Now you tell them the nets are wider and they'll probably try even harder to prevent shots. You think shot blocking is bad now...

By the way, how many "quality" goals were scored in an era where goaltenders weren't nearly as good as they are now, or when defense was optional? Shouldn't we take that into account as well when pining about the good old days?

So the solution is to decrease the difficulty of scoring goals by widening the nets? Doesn't that kind of cheapen the goals that do get scored? Also, many coaches are already defensive minded. Now you tell them the nets are wider and they'll probably try even harder to prevent shots. You think shot blocking is bad now...

By the way, how many "quality" goals were scored in an era where goaltenders weren't nearly as good as they are now, or when defense was optional? Shouldn't we take that into account as well when pining about the good old days?

Just my 2 cents, but goaltenders are only slightly better now than they were due to greatly enlarged and much LIGHTER equipment. Also, some of the new techniques of today are better than the old ones. The old stand-up era goalies could easily stop shots that routinely beat the butterfly goalies of today. Today's goalies play on their knees. Get on your knees on your kitchen floor and try maneuvering around. Being honest, how many goals have you seen scored on your goalie that would have been stopped by the stand-up goalies by just standing in the right place and having their stick on the ice? Fact is goaltenders today don't seem to know how to keep their stick on the ice, between their legs. That's goaltending 101 IMO.

The very best goalies are the ones that play(ed) a hybrid style - like Martin Brodeur, for example. Or Roy, Esposito, or Hall. Obviously, if a goalie is acrobatic it's a huge advantage - in any era.

Goalies in the old days were every bit as good as the ones today in terms of talent IMHO. Today there are shot-blockers. Everybody blocks shots. Pads are huge and much, much lighter. Even the skates are better today.

Just sayin'. ;)

I would call it "adjusting the difficulty of scoring goals to levels seen in the early 1990's". :)

My thoughts, it's a bastardization of our game. All records from that point forward should have an asterisk. It's tough enough now to compare players from different eras, now we have to factor in that all the shots that used to hit goalposts are now goals when comparing them??? This is sickening. This is wrong.

Hell, we have goalies being charged for a 3-on-3 goal as if it was an actual goal and players getting goals and assists on 3-on-3 scores as well.

We're rapidly falling down the rabbit hole when it comes to statistical comparison...

Hell, we have goalies being charged for a 3-on-3 goal as if it was an actual goal and players getting goals and assists on 3-on-3 scores as well.

We're rapidly falling down the rabbit hole when it comes to statistical comparison...

I think we're already there. Any notion that someone can compare a player in today's game with a player from 25 years ago is pure fantasy. It's not the same league in any respect. The NHL has changed everything except the size of the nets.

I'm against wider nets. In fact, I think we should make them smaller. Then players would really have to work on their shots, refine their sniping abilities.

How about 18" wide and suspended 10' in the air?

:hocky:

I'm against wider nets. In fact, I think we should make them smaller. Then players would really have to work on their shots, refine their sniping abilities.

I think they should do away with nets altogether. Replace them with some sort of contraption... like this:

But with a few targets that the players would have to shoot at. Hit the target just right (not too hard, not too soft) and it would cause the ball to roll down the zig-zag, down the sliding board, up the lift, drop onto the see-waw which causes the little man to backflip into the tub, etc...

And the kicker, have a live mouse running around on a track (so it can't escape and interfere with play) so that when the trap comes down it has to trap the mouse. So not only does the shot have to be accurate, you have to time it juuuuuuust right.

I think they should do away with nets altogether. Replace them with some sort of contraption... like this:

But with a few targets that the players would have to shoot at. Hit the target just right (not too hard, not too soft) and it would cause the ball to roll down the zig-zag, down the sliding board, up the lift, drop onto the see-waw which causes the little man to backflip into the tub, etc...

And the kicker, have a live mouse running around on a track (so it can't escape and interfere with play) so that when the trap comes down it has to trap the mouse. So not only does the shot have to be accurate, you have to time it juuuuuuust right.

I think you're on to something here Jack. Who wouldn't want a morphosized version of Mouse Trap/hockey?

Oh, and your new avatar blows. The skull is still cool though.

Archived