Is Michal Neuvirth really *this* good?

canoli

- leads the NHL with 3 shut outts

- wicked-fast glove hand

- doesn't seem to get rattled

- handles the puck well (despite a few miscommunications behind the net)

I think he and Vokoun were sort of 1A and 1B in Washington - at least that's how I remember it. What I'm asking is whether Neuvirth is a legit #1 goalie who's been unlucky (injured every year) or is he a backup on a hot streak?

Already 3 SOs behind this year's Flyers is pretty remarkable. He got some help last night considering the Jets were half-asleep most of the game but still - how good is this guy - and - is he giving Mason a run for the #1 spot?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be extremely surprised if this is how good he is. If so, it completely flies in the face of a VERY established history with him, and also means that several organizations didn't figure out that he was great. Goalies with a career SV% of .912 don't all of a sudden turn into Henrik Lundqvist at 27 years of age. He's put together a great 8 games, and that's great. The hot streak may even go on for awhile, but it will come to an end at some point, as they all do.

@JR Ewing   Yeah, any goalie can get hot...case in point, Brian Boucher and his NHL record for consecutive minutes without allowing a goal. I do think Virth is fundamentally sound though, love the his side to side movement. A lot of goalies are susceptible to wrap arounds and he has a real nice handle on that part of the game. 

@JR Ewing   Yeah, any goalie can get hot...case in point, Brian Boucher and his NHL record for consecutive minutes without allowing a goal. I do think Virth is fundamentally sound though, love the his side to side movement. A lot of goalies are susceptible to wrap arounds and he has a real nice handle on that part of the game. 

He also has a lightening quick glove!

If so, it completely flies in the face of a VERY established history with him, and also means that several organizations didn't figure out that he was great. Goalies with a career SV% of .912 don't all of a sudden turn into Henrik Lundqvist at 27 years of age.

don't know if that is true across the board.  if only because his history is not, in fact, "VERY" established.  he's played very little over the years, in relative terms.  176 career games, total.  besides, 27 is a ballpark age for goalies to begin their NHL careers.  it takes most of them that long to figure out their game to the point they can even pull on an NHL jersey.  the fact that he was building NHL statistics while figuring out how to play the game at this level (and really, doing a respectable job in the meantime) shouldn't count against him.  lundqvist, since you brought him up, didn't see a single NHL game until he was 26.  if he were compiling career statistics when he was 20, i feel safe in guessing his career numbers would be well south of their present .921/2.26. 

neuvirth has never been able to keep himself healthy, and has always found himself in a platoon situation.  i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he were  becoming a very solid NHL starter.  probably not .945 solid, but mid-.920's would not shock me.  the question is, and probably always will be:  can he stay healthy enough for a team to lean on him full time?  i have no answer to that.  he's already missed games this season, continuing a very strong trend.

- leads the NHL with 3 shut outts

- wicked-fast glove hand

- doesn't seem to get rattled

- handles the puck well (despite a few miscommunications behind the net)

I think he and Vokoun were sort of 1A and 1B in Washington - at least that's how I remember it. What I'm asking is whether Neuvirth is a legit #1 goalie who's been unlucky (injured every year) or is he a backup on a hot streak?

Already 3 SOs behind this year's Flyers is pretty remarkable. He got some help last night considering the Jets were half-asleep most of the game but still - how good is this guy - and - is he giving Mason a run for the #1 spot?

I think it was Neuvy and Varlamov originally. Holtby was in the mix too.

don't know if that is true across the board.  if only because his history is not, in fact, "VERY" established.  he's played very little over the years, in relative terms.  176 career games, total.  besides, 27 is a ballpark age for goalies to begin their NHL careers.  it takes most of them that long to figure out their game to the point they can even pull on an NHL jersey.  the fact that he was building NHL statistics while figuring out how to play the game at this level (and really, doing a respectable job in the meantime) shouldn't count against him.  lundqvist, since you brought him up, didn't see a single NHL game until he was 26.  if he were compiling career statistics when he was 20, i feel safe in guessing his career numbers would be well south of their present .921/2.26. 

neuvirth has never been able to keep himself healthy, and has always found himself in a platoon situation.  i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he were  becoming a very solid NHL starter.  probably not .945 solid, but mid-.920's would not shock me.  the question is, and probably always will be:  can he stay healthy enough for a team to lean on him full time?  i have no answer to that.  he's already missed games this season, continuing a very strong trend.

Plus, Virth had a very questionable team in front of him during his Caps tenure. The team plays a respectable brand of defense these days, but when he was there, the forwards didn't back check a lot and the defense was leaky, allowing a lot of second chances etc.

Plus, Virth had a very questionable team in front of him during his Caps tenure. The team plays a respectable brand of defense these days, but when he was there, the forwards didn't back check a lot and the defense was leaky, allowing a lot of second chances etc.

im thinking if virth is playing like starter throughout the year, im wondering if hexy is going to move mason because correct me if im wrong his contract is up next year and he's going to want a big contract and virth playing a starter, i think they can move on from mason.

???

Henrik Lundqvist played 251 games before he turned 26.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

176 games is a ton, and tells managers and coaches a lot about what to expect:

https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/goalies-are-not-voodoo-if-they-make-it-to-60-or-so-nhl-games/

im thinking if virth is playing like starter throughout the year, im wondering if hexy is going to move mason because correct me if im wrong his contract is up next year and he's going to want a big contract and virth playing a starter, i think they can move on from mason.

Mason is signed for this year and next year. He would be a free agent in 2017-18.

I always thought Neuvirth was good when he was in Washington. But he had some tough competition in Varlamov and then Holtby. I think he's probably a legit #1 in the NHL. I don't know if he can continue the level of play we've seen so far but I think he's too good to be a backup. Meaning, I don't think he's in Philly longterm, unless they decide to part ways with Mason.

@JR Ewing

Lundquist's sv % was a middling 2.15ish in his first 4 years in the league, very Michael Nuevirth like imo. Henrik Lundquist wasn't really Henrik Lundquist until he was 26 or 27 and he had established a track record of "competence" not "holy-****-how-do-you-beat-this-guy?"

@ Everyone too...

the inability to stay healthy and having very stiff competition for the starting position with Varlarmov who when he came into the league was pretty spectacular, and then being traded to buffalo...i mean come on, I get he's not a .940 goalie but talent wise and mechanics wise he can start in the league.

he's probably not "this good" but he doesn't suck either.

I always thought Neuvirth was good when he was in Washington. But he had some tough competition in Varlamov and then Holtby. I think he's probably a legit #1 in the NHL. I don't know if he can continue the level of play we've seen so far but I think he's too good to be a backup. Meaning, I don't think he's in Philly longterm, unless they decide to part ways with Mason.

The very positive thing is they are both signed for this year and next year....so everything will come out in the wash as they say. The best goalie will rise to the top.

If I were in Hakstol's shoes, this is the approach I'd take to Neuvirth right now: I'd give him a chance to prove or disprove if he's as good as he looks right now. What I mean by that is, as long as he's playing like this, I'd ride him. If it's nothing more than a hot streak, get all you can out of it. If it's more than that, you'll find out by riding him, and you'll have made a great discovery. Whichever it is, if the Flyers win a few more games because of it, you're that much ahead. I see nothing to lose by letting him show what he can do.

If I were in Hakstol's shoes, this is the approach I'd take to Neuvirth right now: I'd give him a chance to prove or disprove if he's as good as he looks right now. What I mean by that is, as long as he's playing like this, I'd ride him. If it's nothing more than a hot streak, get all you can out of it. If it's more than that, you'll find out by riding him, and you'll have made a great discovery. Whichever it is, if the Flyers win a few more games because of it, you're that much ahead. I see nothing to lose by letting him show what he can do.

I agree, but Hakstol is in a unique situation for a rookie coach, he has a 5 year deal. He is not as desperate as some rookie coaches might be....and since he has a long term deal, I wonder if he would risk pissing off Mason, could make for an uncomfortable situation going forward.

I agree, but Hakstol is in a unique situation for a rookie coach, he has a 5 year deal. He is not as desperate as some rookie coaches might be....and since he has a long term deal, I wonder if he would risk pissing off Mason, could make for an uncomfortable situation going forward.

Point taken, though I still think I'd be tempted. Mason's numbers are pretty bad so far. It might help if he got a fire lit under him. If I were a teammate, I'd feel much more comfortable with Neuvirth and his 1.81 goals against average and .945 save percentage than Mason's 3.34 and .902. Maybe he shouldn't swing too far away from Mason, but I think the whole team might be better off if Mason feels like he has to earn the right to keep the starting job.

???

Henrik Lundqvist played 251 games before he turned 26.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

176 games is a ton, and tells managers and coaches a lot about what to expect:

https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/goalies-are-not-voodoo-if-they-make-it-to-60-or-so-nhl-games/

gah, math.  rookie season at 23.  sorry.

still, point remains, mid-20s is when goalies tend to start their nhl careers.  neuvirth started his at 20.  had some good runs, some rough ones, but i'm not surprised by that.

and 176 games is not a ton, over 8 seasons.  did i get the math there, right?  anyway, he's never had really a single season to work, it has all been broken into the bits surrounding injuries.  if he could put a few seasons of relative health togeter, i wouldn't be shocked to find out his is a quality goalie.  i don't see a track record that says anything other than he gets hurt a lot.  the rest are sample sizes too small for me.

I think the whole team might be better off if Mason feels like he has to earn the right to keep the starting job.

I imagine every goalie in the league is aware of Neuvirth's 3 shut outs this early in the season; you can be sure Mason is feeling the heat. Maybe some stiff competition is a good thing for Mason right now. Good thing the expectations are low for the Flyers this season.

I suspect Mason's save percentage this last two years may have been unrealistic to maintain. But I wonder if Reese's departure is playing out.  Mason's career trajectory is a  sine curve not a fastball. 

Howie

I wonder if he would risk pissing off Mason, could make for an uncomfortable situation going forward.

Would Mason really get pissed off? Or would he realize that he's not playing as much because he's being outplayed? 

That's the kinds of players the Flyers should want on their team - not pouters.

Mason's career trajectory is a  sine curve not a fastball. 

Howie

A sine wave I can work with; as long as it's not a bell curve and we've already passed the peak! But seriously Mason has played pretty well I think. Neuvirth has been outstanding.

Shouldn't we be having this conversation maybe halfway through the season...three quarters through....if he's still outplaying him? I like Neuvrith...but he's been a backup so far for a reason. It's not like the league is overflowing with #1 goalies.

I mean does anyone really think the top 5 goalies in the league are named Condon/Allen/Neuvrith/Berra and some guy named Lundquist?

@JR Ewing

Lundquist's sv % was a middling 2.15ish in his first 4 years in the league, very Michael Nuevirth like imo. Henrik Lundquist wasn't really Henrik Lundquist until he was 26 or 27 and he had established a track record of "competence" not "holy-****-how-do-you-beat-this-guy?"

@ Everyone too...

the inability to stay healthy and having very stiff competition for the starting position with Varlarmov who when he came into the league was pretty spectacular, and then being traded to buffalo...i mean come on, I get he's not a .940 goalie but talent wise and mechanics wise he can start in the league.

he's probably not "this good" but he doesn't suck either.

In Lundqvist's first 3 years in the league, he was third in Vezina voting 3 times, and was 6th in his fourth year. That's a guy viewed as being as much better than competent, and was tracking for a fine career in his peak years.

Archived