UPDate:Flint Firebirds coaches Fired AGAIN - Players Walk Out

hf101

Some shocking tweets this evening.

@OHLinsiders
#BREAKING Two sources have come forward telling me Flint Firebirds coaches have ALL been fired. Players have begun walking out. #OHL

‏@Buccigross  27m27 minutes ago
..Coaches fired immediately after game. Entire team, all 24 Guys storm upstairs to front office, throw jersey on ground, quit and walk out

@Buccigross
Another source: "such a show of solidarity when the boys bonded together and walked out. Even his (owner's) son quit."

obviously more to come....

@hf101  I'm surprised Flint can support a OHL team. A close friend of mine has a few relatives that live there. Apparently, that city has a very, very bad drug problem. My buddy tells me that it's so bad, the police don't respond to calls emanating from at least 25-30% of that city.

Back to hockey, good for them, showing solidarity like that.

Weird, wild stuff.   So, from what I'm reading, this is because the owner wanted more ice time for his son?

Yes,

and the team just had a come from behind win against the Memorial cup champs.

It's always a bad idea to have your kids playing on the team you own. Windsor had a lot of trouble when Warren Rychel's son was traded to the Spits. He got moved to the top pp right from the first day he got here...it was garbage.

Some noteable players from the team which probably got some GM's attention.  aka  Holland, lol.

William Bitten (Top-scoring forward)
Vili Saarijarvi (Detroit Red Wings)
Connor Chatham (New Jersey Devils)
Josh Wesley (Carolina Hurricanes)
Alex Peters (Dallas Stars)
Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina Hurricanes)

and apparently there is a meeting this morning to hire the coaches back.  

Quite an interesting timeline and saga of tweets. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/report-flint-firebirds-fire-coach-team-walks-out/

Coaches are back with new 3 year contracts.  And the team that supports their coaches is back as well.

the nhl should take note on how quickly a settlement can be made.  :rolleyes:

Coaches are back with new 3 year contracts.  And the team that supports their coaches is back as well.

Wow. And they traded the owner's son right?

EDIT: I thought I saw that on Twitter earlier, but apparently not. Sudbury was the team mentioned

I saw that also, maybe there is/ was something in the works, but really, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. 

- Dad probably has more control that way.  :confused[1]:

I think they have to move the son for the son's sake if not for the team's. I mean, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. Can you? 

The son walked out with the team...so I doubt the team has a problem with him. As long as he gets played 4th line minutes....

I heard that  - awesome - but hasn't his dumb father made it a very awkward situation no matter what at this point? 

I think they have to move the son for the son's sake if not for the team's. I mean, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. Can you? 

I don't think the issue is was with the son and the coaches though.  The son walked out on "Dad" also and showed his commitment to the team.  Chances are he knows the reasons why he is a 5-6 defenseman and why he gets less ice time. 

If the "Dad" here doesn't see the big picture to take a step back in controlling his son's life he'll get it soon enough when the son turns 18.

• 3 months later...

Archived