Claude Giroux: Time Expired In Philly?

GIROUX1-930x600.jpg

How about some realistic trade possibilities if the Flyers really need to move the embattled captain?

Keeping into account his potential value (say what you want, the guy can STILL play and play at a high level), his salary, where the Flyers are as an organization, and where a potential trade partner is as an organization.

I'll chime in from time to time (I have always had a closet love for the guy as a player), but I will let the Flyer faithful go on about what they feel would be a fair and realistic trade for Claude.......or even if he should be traded at all and Philly should just ride things out with him in tow.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TropicalFruitGirl26

i'm not even going to touch this.  maybe there is an argument that the flyers ought to move giroux, that their window is going to take too long to open, and his career will be wasted waiting for the team to get up to speed....but now is definitely not the time to move him.  his trade value right now has to be half of what it was before the season started, the flyers would be selling as low as it can get.  

for me, this is an interesting thing to think about, but now is the exact wrong time to really do it.

Well if he were to be moved I can guaran-God-Damn-tee you that the team he goes to wins the cup. I say keep Giroux, move Simmonds+ get a decent "natural" LW'er that can play with G and Voracek. Look to be about a .500 team, draft well, let some of the dead weight expire, hopefully a few of the prospect pan out. 

Problem solved. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26

i'm not even going to touch this.  maybe there is an argument that the flyers ought to move giroux, that their window is going to take too long to open, and his career will be wasted waiting for the team to get up to speed....but now is definitely not the time to move him.  his trade value right now has to be half of what it was before the season started, the flyers would be selling as low as it can get.  

for me, this is an interesting thing to think about, but now is the exact wrong time to really do it.

Given his age and the state of the team, it's really not that outrageous question. They stink and are likely to stink for a while. If they can't get better by next year, there's really no point in holding onto him, Simmonds, or Voracek.

Here's what's in some ways inspiring all of the "trade Giroux" talk today

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=347250352

The key fact Donnellon omits from the story? The No Movement Claude Clause.

They may, in fact, get Giroux to waive if they wanted to - it wouldn't shock me too too much if he didn't want to stay, especially if asked.

He'd be a great second or third fiddle on a good team.

Here's what's in some ways inspiring all of the "trade Giroux" talk today

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=347250352

The key fact Donnellon omits from the story? The No Movement Claude Clause.

They may, in fact, get Giroux to waive if they wanted to - it wouldn't shock me too too much if he didn't want to stay, especially if asked.

He'd be a great second or third fiddle on a good team.

When you said it was a Sam Donnellon article, I immediately thought "click-bait". Anyway, they should ask G if he wants to go to Montreal. A good French Canadian boy won't say no, especially as great as that team has been this season.

Wow I just can't believe how quick most are to just ship G off cause of some struggles. Jake I could see but G...wow!

I'm not in the "ship Giroux out" bandwagon.

I do see the intent of managing their assets to an extent that Giroux's long term value could be more as a way to acquire additional assets than as a player on this team.

I'm not there. Yet.

Wow I just can't believe how quick most are to just ship G off cause of some struggles. Jake I could see but G...wow!

How many years has Giroux in here? How many years has he been captain? There's nothing quick about pondering trading him. but you want to trade Voracek based on 16 games. The irony there is just beyond words.

Here ya go...........totally made up trade proposal between the Wild and Flyers, one I think would be fair to both teams and could accomplish things for both sides in the now, and down the road:

Philly Trades:

--Claude Giroux, C, 27 yrs old, 8.275M cap hit till 2022

--Brayden Schenn, C, 24 yrs old, 2.5M cap hit through 2016

--2016 2nd rounder

Minnesota Trades:

--Mikael Granlund, C, 23 yrs old, 3M cap hit through 2017

--Nino Niedderreiter, RW, 23 yrs old, 2.67M cap hit through 2017

--Jared Spurgeon, D, 25 yrs old, 2.67M cap hit through 2016

Here, the Wild will be getting the #1 Center they have needed for the past two or three seasons, in his prime, and getting another young center (Schenn) who could probably benefit from playing with faster more dynamic wingers like Minnesota has, and Minny also will get a decent draft pick, as they currently DO NOT have a 2nd round pick at all.

The Flyers will get some cap relief, as the money works a bit more in the Flyers favor (unloading 10.5M or so, taking back about 8.4M).

Granlund and Niedderreiter provide young up n coming talent that can grow with the incoming Philly defensemen, and even though their deals are up sooner, they are both RFA's still, so not like they can just walk away before Philly can make them good offers.

And the Flyers will also get a fast skating, puck moving, young offensive defenseman in Jared Spurgeon, whose current deal is also up, but will also be an RFA still.

Wild are in WIN NOW mode and Giroux and to a lesser extent, Schenn can help with that....while the Flyers are still developing players and the young players they get back can still play at the NHL level now, and be solid vets by the time Philly's young players are ready to go.

Trade like this was done with no homerism involved...if there were, I'd want Granlund and Niedderreiter especially, going NO WHERE but staying put in St. Paul.

But from a business standpoint, as a hypothetical, I think something like this would work.

:)

Here ya go...........totally made up trade proposal between the Wild and Flyers, one I think would be fair to both teams and could accomplish things for both sides in the now, and down the road:

Philly Trades:

--Claude Giroux, C, 27 yrs old, 8.275M cap hit till 2022

--Brayden Schenn, C, 24 yrs old, 2.5M cap hit through 2016

--2016 2nd rounder

Minnesota Trades:

--Mikael Granlund, C, 23 yrs old, 3M cap hit through 2017

--Nino Niedderreiter, RW, 23 yrs old, 2.67M cap hit through 2017

--Jared Spurgeon, D, 25 yrs old, 2.67M cap hit through 2016

Where's the rest from Minnesota? I wouldn't trade Giroux alone for that. 

Trade like this was done with no homerism involved...if there were, I'd want Granlund and Niedderreiter especially, going NO WHERE but staying put in St. Paul.
But from a business standpoint, as a hypothetical, I think something like this would work.

LOL - The Flyers will  still be without a #1 center.  

As a Wild fan yeah I make that trade slam dunk, but it won't fit under the Wild's own cap issues.   As a Flyer fan ... no way I make that trade.

Great idea, rebuild by getting rid of your best player. Then once you rebuild, you can go out and try to find someone just like him. "if we just had a center like giroux the rebuild would be complete' would be the cries then. He is still the best player on a bad team. Giroux feeds off emotion and challenges and right now this team appears to have little of either. I want him around when it returns.

Sometimes turn arounds happen sooner than expected. The problem with this team is not giroux, its a bunch of bad contracts to players that are not worth it. Its part a waiting game now  and they slowly get away from them contracts and also move in some younger players. Having giroux on the team for two or three years of this process is perfectly fine in my opinion.

The problem with this team is not giroux, its a bunch of bad contracts to players that are not worth it.

i don't disagree with what you are saying overall, but 10 points in 16 games for giroux is not because of andy macdonald's or rj umberger's contracts.  the bad contracts certainly don't help, but they aren't a root cause of the overall suck this team is going through.

How many years has Giroux in here? How many years has he been captain? There's nothing quick about pondering trading him. but you want to trade Voracek based on 16 games. The irony there is just beyond words.

Jake has 5 goals in the last 56 games. This is not just 16 games for him...

i don't disagree with what you are saying overall, but 10 points in 16 games for giroux is not because of andy macdonald's or rj umberger's contracts.  the bad contracts certainly don't help, but they aren't a root cause of the overall suck this team is going through.

The bad contracts may not be the root cause but they have made it nearly impossible for Hextall to address areas of need in the trade or free agency market that would have been able to speed the rebuild process up a little bit.  Instead Hextall has been forced to take a longer and more patient approach by addressing needs through the draft and developing home grown talent on the farm until these bad contracts start to come off the books.  

As far as Giroux goes I think we can safely say that he is the type of player that needs the right pieces around him to maximize his potential.  He's not the type of player that can just make inferior players better like other elite forwards past and present can.  

Archived