Blackhawks vs Flyers - 1/5/2011

Guest Digityman

CSN Philly

Records

Flyers: 22-11-4 (Second in Atlantic Division, fourth in Eastern Conference)

Blackhawks: 24-11-4 (first in Central division, second in Western Conference)

Previous Games

This will be the Flyers’ first game since losing 3-2 to the Rangers in

the Winter Classic. The Flyers are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.

The Blackhawks are also coming off of a loss at the hands of the Oilers. Chicago is 7-3-0 in its last 10 games, but has lost two of its last three games.

Who’s hot?

The Blackhawks have been fairly hot of late, but have cooled down a

bit in their previous three games. They recently lost the Western Conference lead to the Vancouver Canucks

For the Flyers, Brayden Schenn scored his first NHL goal in the Winter Classic on Monday. Scott Hartnell continues to find the back of the net, and has 17 goals on the season.

Story lines

The Flyers will be hosting the Blackhawks for the first time since losing to them in Game 6 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals.

After being skipped in net against the Rangers in the Winter Classic, Ilya Bryzgalov will return to the ice against the Blackhawks tonight. Also in net is Ray Emery, for the Blackhawks.

Also, watch to see what rookie Matt Read can do while he fills in for an injured Jaromir Jagr tonight on the first line.

In net

Flyers: Ilya Bryzgalov

Blackhawks: Ray Emery

Injuries

Flyers: Jaromir Jagr (groin)

Blackhawks: Daniel Carcillo (undisclosed), Marcus Kruger (upper body),

Steve Montador (undisclosed)

Rinaldo fails to clear the zone, 1-0 Hawks. At least he won his fight

I don't put that on Rinaldo, he wasn't even facing up ice. Where was the Flyer that should've been playing the guy who picked that puck up? lagging behind. I know it was MAB which sucks cause I've been talking him up of late but no way do I put that on Rinaldo. he played his man, someone needs to pick up the trailer.

and as @doom88 said, Bryz looked like crap on that goal. He REALLY needs to work on positioning himself so if pucks get tipped or deflected he's still in position to stop them. Why in the world were his legs spread so far apart? (I tee'd that up, someone better swing away). I am getting really tired of anything deflected or tipped getting by this guy. It's not like deflections and tips are new to the game.... c'mon

I didn't think they were pulling that one out.

I don't think Bryz was horrible tonight but still bad. He made some saves to keep them in it right before the Flyers 3rd and 4th.

The one with Kane right in front isn't his fault. Would have been great if he stopped it but that's just horrible area to give that way. MAB was the one that gave that away?

Didn't see the game (we played and then watched gold medal WJ game) but 5-4 is a good win over a good team. Bryz was padding his stats with an .882 save percentage effort? So we still need 5 to win with him in net huh? How'd he look after the first goal. At least he can't be worse in the playoffs can he? JVR finally woke up (nice passes from Giroux and hartnell on the winner) No minor penalties ALL GAME? Schenn has points in back to back games. And Giroux telling everyone It's not happening again when Chicago came back to tie it and puts his money where his mouth is.

Edited by flyercanuck

@flyercanuck

Dzone coverage was horrendous for parts of the game. Kane 10 feet in front of him dead center. That's not his fault. He could have saved 2 of them if he was on the top of his game. Thomas could have saved 3. So, really a step in the right direction for Bryz.... His confidence is really non-existent at this point.

JVR must have got a cortisone shot or something because he looked pretty good. Not dominating but good. He was in the right spot at the right time which is nice to see. Hopefully that gets him rolling again.

Still a big need for a 2-4 dman. Steady, stay at home dman that can log 20-22 minutes.

What an entertaining game. The lead, the tie, the lead with under a minute to play. That was a great game for a novice fan to watch. I was watching with someone new to the sport and they loved it. I told them not all games are like that.

I think we should try to develop MAB into that defenseman. Unless a team is selling at a stupid low price at the deadline, I think the Flyers should stay in house.

As far as Giroux's quote, I wonder how he meant it when he said it. No more losing in the 3rd? No more taking the 3rd off? No more letting Bryz ruin another good showing from the forwards? Chicago will not win in Philadelphia tonight? Hmmm.