Evgeni Malkin On Whats Wrong With The Pens

JagerMeister

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/malkin-on-whats-wrong-with-the-penguins-were-mad-at-each-other/

Malkin is the only one dauntless enough to provide the reporters with a truthful answer to their incompetence this season. Seems to me like Malkin has leadership qualities... he would be better suited for the C then Crosby..

"Its not only goals, its bad penalties, turnovers, everything. Its not playing right system" Geno

Solution? Fire mike Johnstons incapable ass outta here and send him back to peewee...

I tried to post the entire interview, but the embedded link to the podcast isn't working.

If interested one can find the entire Malkin interview on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Hockey

It really sounds like there are some internal issues going on with the Penguins as the players are not on the same page with each other.  

Let the trade Malkin rumors begin...

Here an audio of the whole interview.

http://downloads.penguins.nhl.com/audio2/151114Malkin.MP3

It really sounds like there are some internal issues going on with the Penguins as the players are not on the same page with each other.  

Let the trade Malkin rumors begin...

Even if that is the case (internal issues), what I don't understand is, why is Malkin saying things like this to the media?

I thought in-house problems were supposed to stay just that: In-House.

I mean, it's one thing if a snoopy reporter found out something, then maneuvers answers out of a player somehow....but seems to me Malkin is just volunteering info.

Does he not really understand the protocols here? Or just doesn't care about them?

Even if that is the case (internal issues), what I don't understand is, why is Malkin saying things like this to the media?

I thought in-house problems were supposed to stay just that: In-House.

I mean, it's one thing if a snoopy reporter found out something, then maneuvers answers out of a player somehow....but seems to me Malkin is just volunteering info.

Does he not really understand the protocols here? Or just doesn't care about them?

I don't think he cares about them? To bad the Pens don't have many draft choices!

I tried to post the entire interview, but the embedded link to the podcast isn't working.If interested one can find the entire Malkin interview on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Hockey It really sounds like there are some internal issues going on with the Penguins as the players are not on the same page with each other.   Let the trade Malkin rumors begin...
I don't think that's the answer! I do agree there is an internal issue. The Pens need a front office that could take care of business. Rick Tocchet said about the Pens, I believe in '94, there's no discipline on the Pens. This stop holds true. This team needs a coach and General Manager similar to Scotty Bowman Sr.!

Well here's my two cents worth, and for the most part its the personnel on defense.

1) The system that the Pens are playing is just a continuation of what DFB played, and got him fired. Johnston is taking two of the most dynamic players in the league, and turned them into dump and chase grinders. Its frustrating to watch as a fan. Toss the puck into the corners fight for possession. Makes for low scoring games, and the Pens have won many of those this year. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If not for Fleury, the team would be way down in the standings.

2) The Pens did nothing for the team since destroying their defense with the trades of Bortozzo and Despres.. For all the talent and youth that Letang, Matta and Domouilin have, its complete neutered by the ineptitude of Scuderi and Lovejoy. This is a defense that couldn't move a figure skater out of the net front, and their only hits are if they trip and accidentally knock someone over(I have no clue on how Lovejoy has 43 hits this season).

3) Continuing on the defense, have you EVER seen a team that allows entry into their zone so easily. Never does the defense try to stand people at the blue line. Other teams make it so hard in transition with a variation of the left wing lock, but the Pens play like they are afraid of making a stand at the blue line. Part of that is the lack of skating ability of Scuds and Lovejoy, or lack there of, so that they have to play conservatively.

4) Offensively, teams have realized that once set up in the zone, there's no worry in the world that a shot is going to come from the defense. Teams are just double teaming Crosby and Malkin and leaving the points open. If the puck goes back to the point, they're just going to dump it into the corners. Never do you see them adjust for a shooting lane, or playing shots for deflections. That is the big reason that Malkin plays the point a lot on the PP, and he won't shoot from out there either. Just grind away in the corners and on the walls.

As for Malkin's comments, well from what I've seen of the Pens this year(missed a lot of games due to travel), he's calling the kettle black here. He's leading the team in penalties, and most are of the lazy hooking/tripping variety. The other night in the Montreal game, he was out on the 4v3 in over time and should have been benched for his lazy play. Maybe he needs some of Mama's borscht or something.

@notfondajane You say there is no discipline on the team. I guess I'd need an example of that because I don't see that.

One last note, on home ice, it looks like Johnston keeps pairing up Crosby's line with the top line of the other team, almost like a checking line. That I just don't get.

For me, I don't see them going anywhere with the defense that they have. Just too many anchors in Scuds and Lovejoy. They need a booming shot from the blue line who's willing to put opposing forwards to the ice when they cross the blue line. I just don't see them finding that. They needed to dump Scuderi and Kunitz in the offseason, and in failing to do so pretty much is going to kill this team. If I was Crosby and Malkin, I'd be unhappy with the way this team is set up too. But shut you mouth Geno and put 100% on the ice for a few games.

@nossagog   Some good points. I might also add, the Pens are going to miss the quite contirbutions of Harrington. Here we have a tremendous skater who is obviously defensive minded, but he lugs the puck nicely in the transition game also. A lot of people think of him as just a throw in to the trade, but he will end up being worth much more than that.

Well here's my two cents worth, and for the most part its the personnel on defense.

1) The system that the Pens are playing is just a continuation of what DFB played, and got him fired. Johnston is taking two of the most dynamic players in the league, and turned them into dump and chase grinders. Its frustrating to watch as a fan. Toss the puck into the corners fight for possession. Makes for low scoring games, and the Pens have won many of those this year. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If not for Fleury, the team would be way down in the standings.

2) The Pens did nothing for the team since destroying their defense with the trades of Bortozzo and Despres.. For all the talent and youth that Letang, Matta and Domouilin have, its complete neutered by the ineptitude of Scuderi and Lovejoy. This is a defense that couldn't move a figure skater out of the net front, and their only hits are if they trip and accidentally knock someone over(I have no clue on how Lovejoy has 43 hits this season).

3) Continuing on the defense, have you EVER seen a team that allows entry into their zone so easily. Never does the defense try to stand people at the blue line. Other teams make it so hard in transition with a variation of the left wing lock, but the Pens play like they are afraid of making a stand at the blue line. Part of that is the lack of skating ability of Scuds and Lovejoy, or lack there of, so that they have to play conservatively.

4) Offensively, teams have realized that once set up in the zone, there's no worry in the world that a shot is going to come from thdefense. Teams are just double teaming Crosby and Malkin and leaving the points open. If the puck goes back to the point, they're just going to dump it into the corners. Never do you see them adjust for a shooting lane, or playing shots for deflections. That is the big reason that Malkin plays the point a lot on the PP, and he won't shoot from out there either. Just grind away in the corners and on the walls.

As for Malkin's comments, well from what I've seen of the Pens this year(missed a lot of games due to travel), he's calling the kettle black here. He's leading the team in penalties, and most are of the lazy hooking/tripping variety. The other night in the Montreal game, he was out on the 4v3 in over time and should have been benched for his lazy play. Maybe he needs some of Mama's borscht or something.

@notfondajane You say there is no discipline on the team. I guess I'd need an example of that because I don't see that.

One last note, on home ice, it looks like Johnston keeps pairing up Crosby's line with the top line of the other team, almost like a checking line. That I just don't get.

For me, I don't see them going anywhere with the defense that they have. Just too many anchors in Scuds and Lovejoy. They need a booming shot from the blue line who's willing to put opposing forwards to the ice when they cross the blue line. I just don't see them finding that. They needed to dump Scuderi and Kunitz in the offseason, and in failing to do so pretty much is going to kill this team. If I was Crosby and Malkin, I'd be unhappy with the way this team is set up too. But shut you mouth Geno and put 100% on the ice for a few games.

for what I hear the atmosphere surrounding the team is that of a country club! I don't know how true that is,if it is true. It could be a lack of desire, maybe, could it be possible that this team is just not hungry enough? I'm guessing! Some thing is amiss! I can't put my finger on it and say specific what the problem is! Something in the room is wrong!

So... Win 9 of 10... Lose 2 and we're panicking? Do I want Johnston's BS defense first I'm Dan Bylsma but with more junior systems method gone? Yes.

We have three of the most dynamic forwards in the game. Why are we playing a variation of the left wing lock??

So... Win 9 of 10... Lose 2 and we're panicking? Do I want Johnston's BS defense first I'm Dan Bylsma but with more junior systems method gone? Yes.

We have three of the most dynamic forwards in the game. Why are we playing a variation of the left wing lock??

I agree with this! All I ask is a little consistency!

Archived