How great is it to finally have a dman with a great point shot

RonJeremy

It is so great to finally see a skilled dman on our blue line, who actually has a booming accurate point shot. For so many years we had limp wristed point shots that got blocked or never made it to the net , or you had Coburn shooting it over the net. Ghost is the most exciting guy on the team right now,otherwise the Flyers are a colossal bore. Can't wait for Sanheim and Provorov......

It is so great to finally see a skilled dman on our blue line, who actually has a booming accurate point shot. For so many years we had limp wristed point shots that got blocked or never made it to the net , or you had Coburn shooting it over the net. Ghost is the most exciting guy on the team right now,otherwise the Flyers are a colossal bore. Can't wait for Sanheim and Provorov......

Hopefully he is awful defensively next game, is responsible for like 4 goals against, and then resumes being awesome.

But only because you play the Sharks. With Karlsson back, the GiJoe line looks more lethal.

But seriously. Happy for you guys to see some young talent giving promise.

I was curious how much this was a thing with Coburn, and it wasn't even close in terms of raw numbers. Between 2010 the end of last season, here are the "top" 5 Flyers defensemen to miss a shot over the net, as well as the percentage of their shot attempts that represents:

1. Coburn, 32, 4.8%

2. Timonen, 21, 2.9%

3. Meszaros, 14, 2.9%

4. Grossman, 13, 5.2%

5. Carle, 11, 3.1%

This is something that Coburn and Grossman were both pretty bad for...

I was curious how much this was a thing with Coburn, and it wasn't even close in terms of raw numbers. Between 2010 the end of last season, here are the "top" 5 Flyers defensemen to miss a shot over the net, as well as the percentage of their shot attempts that represents:

1. Coburn, 32, 4.8%

2. Timonen, 21, 2.9%

3. Meszaros, 14, 2.9%

4. Grossman, 13, 5.2%

5. Carle, 11, 3.1%

This is something that Coburn and Grossman were both pretty bad for...

But, but he scored a series clincher GWer for the Bolts...you're saying he's not a sniper from the point????

Now where is that damn ninja.....

Seriously though he was turning into a sure steal for Homer till he took that puck in the eye (no bueno) in that Pens series and hasn't been the same since i can't remember what year it was...i think i might have been the year they won the Cup. That series was doomed for the Flyers after they lost Coburn and Kimmo.

@murraycraven

vs the Kings he stole a pass and jumped up to lead the rush in the 3rd... lost the puck to a good NHL check which lead to an odd man against, somehow he hustled back to break up the pass...he was flying  I don't remember seeing a Flyer that could skate like that since ....i don't know Jeff Carter ?  I don't really remember any guys with breath taking speed like Ghost's wearing the orange and black...he reminds me of pre-stroke Letang with his skating ability.

@murraycraven

vs the Kings he stole a pass and jumped up to lead the rush in the 3rd... lost the puck to a good NHL check which lead to an odd man against, somehow he hustled back to break up the pass...he was flying  I don't remember seeing a Flyer that could skate like that since ....i don't know Jeff Carter ?  I don't really remember any guys with breath taking speed like Ghost's wearing the orange and black...he reminds me of pre-stroke Letang with his skating ability.

honestly I think he is a better skater (speed, edges, agility) than Carter.  The kid is just a beautiful thing to watch on skates.   I would say the LeTang comparison is a very good one.   I love watching players that are pure skaters - like they were born to be on skates and both LeTang and Gost have that ability.   

The other thing I really have been impressed with is his demeanor.  He is not cocky but has the confidence in his ability that he acts like he should be there.   And right now he certainly seems to have injected some much needed life into this team.

Watched him in the defensive zone a lot. Seems to me to be out of position (wrong side, high) a fair amount. His speed helps him recover, though. I thought he could have played the one 2 on 1 against where he laid down better - But those are mental things he can work on. With the exception of his size, he seems to have the physical tools.

Watched him in the defensive zone a lot. Seems to me to be out of position (wrong side, high) a fair amount. His speed helps him recover, though. I thought he could have played the one 2 on 1 against where he laid down better - But those are mental things he can work on. With the exception of his size, he seems to have the physical tools.

agree... his d zone coverage is "iffy" right now but that will come.   He seems to be a smart player and he is far from reaching his full development.  Plus, his skating ability can get him out of trouble most times...

But, but he scored a series clincher GWer for the Bolts...you're saying he's not a sniper from the point????

Seriously though he was turning into a sure steal for Homer till he took that puck in the eye (no bueno) in that Pens series and hasn't been the same since i can't remember what year it was...i think i might have been the year they won the Cup. That series was doomed for the Flyers after they lost Coburn and Kimmo.

The 'even a stopped clock is right twice a day' axiom applies here. ;)

I will say that watching Gost's skating ability is a thing of beauty. I watched him in college quite a bit and he has even improved his skating from then... kid has wheels.

Just hope he keeps his head up and doesn't get killed out there. We need his skills playing

I believe that was '08 and not the year the pens won. Flyers actually had a chance until Kimmo and Coby both went down. I think that was Kimmo's first round with the blood clots too.

G.D. Penguins. No wonder I hate them.

The last time I saw a Flyer d-man with the kinda shot that Ghost has, Eric Desjardins was wearing the ol black and orange. It has literally been that long, unless you count the limited action of Pronger, who had a cannon right up the day he retired.

The last time I saw a Flyer d-man with the kinda shot that Ghost has, Eric Desjardins was wearing the ol black and orange. It has literally been that long, unless you count the limited action of Pronger, who had a cannon right up the day he retired.

Ah yes. I miss those short lived days where, if we had a 1 goal lead or were down by a goal with a minute to go, Pronger and Timonen would roll out on the ice together.

I hope one day we can say the same thing about Sanheim and Provorov.

Archived