All Star Game - New Format - 3 on 3..What?

pilldoc

You read that right...the NHL All Star Game is moving to a new format.....Read about here...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=788532&navid=nhl:topheads

http://deadspin.com/the-nhl-all-star-game-is-moving-to-3-on-3-1743293516

he NHL All-Star Game will drop the “fantasy draft” format and switch to a 3-on-3 mini-tournament, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, who says the league will officially announce the format later today. It could be fun! It could be really boring, just like every other iteration.

Here’s how it’ll reportedly work at the 2016 ASG in Nashville:

There will be four teams of nine skaters and two goalies, one team for each of the four divisions (Atlantic and Metropolitan in the East; Central and Pacific in the West). There will be a 20-minute mini-game – likely two 10-minute halves – featuring one division versus another in 3-on-3 action followed by another 20-minute game with the other two divisions playing each other.

The two winning teams would then meet in a third 20-minute session for the so-called “championship” game.

Overtime 3-on-3 has been great. It’s fun no matter who’s playing, and it’s especially pleasing to watch a team that’s particularly good at it.

But will it work in an exhibition, where players are mostly trying not to get injured, and generally don’t feel like exhausting themselves unduly? Will the open ice feel so open at three-fourths speed, and with teams only having three lines to roll over 20 or 40 minutes of it, compared to a maximum of five minutes in a real game?

One way the NHL hopes to inspire players to try hard: cash.

I get it the All Star game is a joke anyway with no defense whatsoever, but seriously...3 on 3 tournament...who's brain child was this.....

I can't WAIT to purchase my Steven Stamkos Atlantic Division All Star Sweater.... :ph34r:

Yes, now I TOO can run around wearing a sweater that represents a Tampa Bay player, who, despite his team residing on the Gulf Coast, represents the Atlantic coast.

And if asked, I can further go on to make myself look like a geographic cement head by telling them that Stamkos is just one representative of that fine ATLANTIC division which also feature players from Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, and Montreal.

But hey, the Atlantic also has the Miami based Panthers and Boston Bruins, right? So 2 out of 8 teams are actually on the Atlantic coast........

And don't even get me started on people wearing the "Metro" All Star Sweaters....you manly men...good luck trying to explain that one...

Hey, see this fun new thing. Let's cash in on it while we can and give the people 60 minutes of it! But this time, we'll do it with a bunch of players who don't really give a ****, won't be going 100%, and have nothing on the line!

I mean, it's an All-Star game, so I don't really care that much. But it seems kind of dumb to make the 3-on-3 look even more like a gimmick the first year you have it.

A game played between the Olympic Games?

With this new level of stupidity, I'd like to officially propose that we scrap the all-star game in Olympic years to help facilitate an Olympic break. Especially since I hate the new World Cup format. But, that's a different story...

With this new level of stupidity, I'd like to officially propose that we scrap the all-star game in Olympic years to help facilitate an Olympic break. Especially since I hate the new World Cup format. But, that's a different story...

It has really gotten to the point that I like hockey in spite of the National Hockey League.

LOL. It's great to hear that I'm not the only one who does not understand the "World Cup of Hockey" "format". What a joke. IT SUCKS!!  

I hope they sell zero tickets and get zero TV audience. Only the NHL could screw up a best-on-best hockey tournament. I know I won't be watching at all. I sicerely hope, Mr. pea-brained Betman that you get the message......

The head of the IIHF is laughing up his sleeve the whole time because he knows this "world cup" is a sham. Best-on-best my ass.

LOL. It's great to hear that I'm not the only one who does not understand the "World Cup of Hockey" "format". What a joke. IT SUCKS!!  

I hope they sell zero tickets and get zero TV audience. Only the NHL could screw up a best-on-best hockey tournament. I know I won't be watching at all. I sicerely hope, Mr. pea-brained Betman that you get the message......

The head of the IIHF is laughing up his sleeve the whole time because he knows this "world cup" is a sham. Best-on-best my ass.

"Team Rest of Europe?" If I were a Slovakian or Swiss player, I'd be insulted. "Team Under 23 North America?" "Look guys, we know you're not good enough to play on the big team yet, so we'll throw you a bone."

"Team Rest of Europe?" If I were a Slovakian or Swiss player, I'd be insulted. "Team Under 23 North America?" "Look guys, we know you're not good enough to play on the big team yet, so we'll throw you a bone."

What about Team "who Crosby says is on it"?  :rolleyes:

It has really gotten to the point that I like hockey in spite of the National Hockey League.

I'm trying to think of something the NHL hasn't destroyed when they've meddled with it. Everything they touch turns to ****.

• The all-star game was a great best on best game back in the 1980s. Then, through a careful process of annual gimmicks (each worse than the previous) and regularly cancelled games due to lockouts and Olympics, it is now beyond the point of saving. The NHL needs to pull the plug on the all-star game. It's dead.
  • The outdoor games will be cancelled shortly because the NHL is killing that golden goose as we speak by trying to ram more and more games down our throats. The novelty has completely worn off now. The players probably hate the outdoor games because of the crappy ice conditions and bad weather. It'll be a bargaining issue during the next CBA with the players voting against it. Say bye bye outdoor games.
  • The Olympics/World Cup boondoggle. The NHL kills its own World Cup tournament to play in the Olympics (made no sense), but now they revive the World Cup and look to ruin it right out of the blocks too.

I think the NHL must have the most forgiving fans, otherwise they wouldn't be alive right now as a sports league.   :o 

Archived