Young Players and Growing Pains

Old School Hockey

While watching game after game of just horrible passing it has donned on me as to why.  We have such a big influx of young players this year, probably more than in a VERY long time.  Here's what I see.  These guys are still playing AHL hockey in their minds.  In other words things you can get away with in the AHL just get taken advantage of in the NHL.

It's been a lot fun watcing the Larkins and so on, but this at times looks like the mite team vs peewee team.

@Old School Hockey

Agreed Old School, Pulkinnen and Larkin have shown flashes of brilliance but haven't quite adjusted to the NHL game and all the nuances. Ferraro as well.

Throw in Marchenko, Oullet and Jensen into the mix on the back end, average prospects that may be a bit over their head, and Mrazek who has played brilliantly but has had a few brain cramps.

Overall I love the youth and by the end of the year we will be primed for the next half a decade or longer.

@Old School Hockey

Agreed Old School, Pulkinnen and Larkin have shown flashes of brilliance but haven't quite adjusted to the NHL game and all the nuances. Ferraro as well.

Throw in Marchenko, Oullet and Jensen into the mix on the back end, average prospects that may be a bit over their head, and Mrazek who has played brilliantly but has had a few brain cramps.

Overall I love the youth and by the end of the year we will be primed for the next half a decade or longer.

I just hope they can get enough points to be to make the playoffs.  This could be the miss year unless they put together a streak of points.

I just hope they can get enough points to be to make the playoffs. This could be the miss year unless they put together a streak of points.

You're right, but it will not be the end of the world if the playoff streak ends. Not that I want it to, but if being out before the real game begins will stimulate our players and make the Red Wings be a better team moving forward, there is little wrong with it. To say that a different way, I would rather lose the streak and have that stimulate growth to greatness again than continue in mediocrity because it's comfortable. It is getting too comfortable playing just well enough to get in.

Archived