Bye weeks coming to the NHL next season

hf101

1beach0120.jpg

According to ESPN

The league and the NHLPA have committed to building a "five-day bye week" for each team into the schedule next season. The league will schedule one for each club between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28 next season. Players won’t have to report for practice until after 4 p.m. on the fifth day if they have a game on the sixth day, a source said. If the players don't have a game on the sixth day, they would have the entire fifth day off.

For the NHLPA, I think this was important on two fronts:

1. To get a break for their top players in a World Cup year, notably since some of those same players will also be participating in the All-Star Game. Besides, it’s not always easy to convince some of the star players to show up for All-Star weekend given the grind of the season, so getting a new break next season will help in that regard as well.

2. It’s just as desirable for the rest of the 700-plus players at large, too, even those who never play in All-Star Games. Take the Olympics for example. All players love Olympic participation because it allows those who don’t partake -- the vast majority of the membership -- to rest during that break. Hence the same philosophy here with this new, five-day bye week starting next season.

And for us fans hockey will start earlier for some players with the World Cup. The Toronto-based tournament will run from Sept. 17 through Oct. 1 at the latest.

@hf101  Just saw this on TSN. The Union said yes to the whole World Cup thing, which helps the NHL as a whole, in return, they were able to secure a 5 day holiday. The fact it comes in late Jan and Feb, that is a plus for all teams. Giving the players a much needed break during a very busy, grinding time in the schedule. This benefits everyone. I assuming that two teams will have the 5 days at once, but not sure. This may chance up some fantasy stuff as well, if you have a bubble player on your roster entering the 5 day break, he might be cut easier, knowing he is inactive for almost a week.

Depends. My other fantasy league uses CBS so we average points. If I have, say, Ovechkin rolling into his bye with only one game against the Leafs, then I play him with the hopes he has a big game.

First of all, I'm really glad to see that 5 days have now become a week. I can only assume that this is in preparation for the metric (10 day) week.  :confused[1]:

Secondly, the NHL'ers need a break to have some time to spend and enjoy their millions. What fun is it being a multi-millionaire if you can't show off?  :thumbsu:

And, thirdly, who cares??  :P

Depends. My other fantasy league uses CBS so we average points. If I have, say, Ovechkin rolling into his bye with only one game against the Leafs, then I play him with the hopes he has a big game.

Well, it will stink in head to head leagues depending on how the 5 days falls.

This is not to say that fantasy is what the league and union should base decisions on. Lol.

Well, it will stink in head to head leagues depending on how the 5 days falls.

This is not to say that fantasy is what the league and union should base decisions on. Lol.

Why not??

It'd be an improvement over the current "flip a coin" or "roll of a die" system currently in place........ :ph34r:

You can bet your bottom buck that if a player is under performing, not up to par, that they will be waiver wire fodder at the start of this 5 day rest. On the 5th day, God created the Waiver Wire....LOL

I'm a little slow to reply to this, but I like the idea. Give the players a chance to recharge and heal up mid-season, and we might end up with even better playoff hockey, because theoretically, they'd be in better shape. I'm all for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this whole season was a "bye"..............   :ph34r:

Buh duh chaaaa.   :D

You know your season is going well when:

• The media is more focused on a goalie currently playing in the AHL than any of the ones in the NHL.
  • The media keeps trying to spark interest with an endless amount of Stamkos news, tweets, and rumours.
  • The team sits in last place and isn't going to play a game for a whole week.

Archived