Going forward Del Zotto, Gudas and Luke Schenn ?

mojo1917

I'm just going to out myself here.

I think Luke Schenn has been good this year.  I think he's finally "getting" what type of player he needs to be to be effective. 

I would not have a problem with him being one of the "grizzled vets " that helps to show the other first rounders which way the parade is going.

I don't know if I love his deal nor do i know when it expires. 

If the money is right i would keep him around.

I know people like to hate on him, but i will still take him 8 days out of 7 over JVR.

waiting for the **** storm in 3..2...1

He hasn't been noticeable to me in the games I've watched, with the exception of the end of regulation against the Kings when he and Schultz were on for the GTG against. Typically, that's a good thing for defensemen. He's making 3.5 million (I think) and is UFA next year. I doubt he'll be brought back.

Gudas and Ghost seem to be the best surprises this year.

I imagine we could keep or lose Schenn and never notice the difference.

Then again, people were screaming for Carle's head, comparing him to a road cone and now they wish they kept him.

I would take Schenn over MacDonald.........does that help? Schenn has been better as of late but I still won't be looking to sign him. I would prefer he plays himself into a solid draft pick for the trade deadline though.

now they wish they kept him.

Not me...after Pronger went down I quickly tired of Carle's bad decision making and bad turnovers at the worst possible times.

Regarding Schenn...he has been adequate which is better than he had been however we need players who are more than adequate.  I would look around and see what is out there and only re-sign him to a short deal if we cant get anything else.

I'd be fine with Gudas, del Zotto and Medvedev - pending what Medvedev might want in terms of price and length of contract.

If they can get something for LSchenn at the deadline, IMO they should. If nothing else, he's going to be looking for a multi-year deal and I don't think the Flyers need that commitment.

I'd be fine with Gudas, del Zotto and Medvedev - pending what Medvedev might want in terms of price and length of contract.

If they can get something for LSchenn at the deadline, IMO they should. If nothing else, he's going to be looking for a multi-year deal and I don't think the Flyers need that commitment.

Agree with all of that.

i agree, i dont want another big contract like mcdud that we have to leave in the ahl, especially luke schenn. both of them are bad defenders. hopefully hexy is smart with money decisions.

Regarding Schenn...he has been adequate which is better than he had been however we need players who are more than adequate.

Right, and those guys are coming, if we're all needing to change our panties over Ghost...imagine how good Provorov will be...I don't want to have a situation where we're rolling an Edmonton Oilers blueline, where everyone has ability but no one knows how to play or be a pro, i don't think MDZ can stop ******* long enough to be that guy.  I do think Schenn would be a good big brother type , he's a tough kid , he's not old... I would definitely keep him around over both MacDonald, and Shultz...

@radoran  i too like the russian , i do not know how sturdy he is, how he will enjoy playing in north america for bad team. so while he has shown to be good player, he continues to be wildcard.  (read preceding sentence with boris & natasha accent) 

I would definitely keep him around over both MacDonald, and Shultz...

Well, obviously. I'd keep an actual pylon on the ice over MacDud™. The only thing about Schultz is the salary. If Schenn is getting upwards of $4M (or even the $3.6M he's getting now - I don't see him signing for less than he's got now) and wants 3-5 years, I think I'd rather have Schultzie at $2.25M and done after next season.

@radoran i too like the russian , i do not know how sturdy he is, how he will enjoy playing in north america for bad team. so while he has shown to be good player, he continues to be wildcard. (read preceding sentence with boris & natasha accent)

Agreed as well. But I'd rather have him at Schenn's potential number and for a shorter term.

Could also be good for Proviewit™

Unless Luke Schenn would accept a 2 year deal similar to Del Zotto I would look to deal him.  They have D talent in the pipeline that is still developing but they can ill afford to make longer term committments that would block prospects from being able to move up to the big club when they will be ready in the next 2 years.  

Unless Luke Schenn would accept a 2 year deal similar to Del Zotto I would look to deal him.

I think a lot of that decision may be linked to what happens with Brayden.

If the Flyers want to keep both, they certainly can. If the Flyers have shipped out BSchenn, I don't see LSchenn "giving them a break."

I do think Schenn has been pretty good but once I hear the multi-year contract I want no parts.  I also think Hextall is looking to package the brothers in a deal.  

Trade him at the deadline or before if a decent deal comes along.   Schultz IMO is not a viable 1-6 in the NHL and he needs to be put in the press-box.   The guy should have never been given more than one year by Hextall but he might be able to be moved at the deadline for someone looking for depth.  If not he goes to the press-box and Manning is sent down to the AHL.

In the end the Flyers do not need to bring back Luke - we have the pipeline filled.   Find a cheaper option as a one year bridge...

Schenn should not be back next year. If anything, Hextall should do all he can to make sure he gets anything for him by the deadline this season. He can easily be replaced through free agency if need be.

Next year we've got Streit, Del Zotto, Schultz, MacDonald and Gostisbehere under contract, with Gudas our only RFA that should be brought back (piss off Manning). Medvedev could be back, but I'm unsure of that right now. MacDonald is another question mark. Where will he be next year, Flyers or Phantoms? My guess is he's waived again. So that potentially leaves 2 spots open, one if you assume that one of the kids (Sanheim or Proporov) make the team (Morin won't be ready). The other spot would probably go to a UFA vet on a short-term deal (maybe Mevedev or someone similar). Plus, I don't know where Alt factors in here (if he even does)

Streit, Del Zotto, and Schultz could all be moved next season as well

Archived