24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
58 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 89 Sam Gagner
12 Michael Raffl - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 76 Chris VandeVelde

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 22 Luke Schenn
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), R.J. Umberger (suspected foot injury), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Ryan White (IR, suspected shoulder injury).

Senators

68 Mike Hoffman - 7 Kyle Turris - 6 Bobby Ryan
26 Matt Puempel - 93 Mika Zibanejad - 61 Mark Stone
9 Milan Michalek - 44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau - 90 Alex Chiasson
27 Curtis Lazar - 15 Zack Smith - 25 Chris Neil

3 Marc Methot - 65 Erik Karlsson
2 Jared Cowen - 5 Cody Ceci
74 Mark Borowiecki - 45 Chris Wideman

41 Craig Anderson
[29 Matt O'Connor]

Scratches: Shane Prince (healthy), Bobby Ryan (questionable, shoulder), Patrick Wiercioch (head), Andrew Hammond (day-to-day, head), Clarke MacArthur (IR, concussion), Chris Phillips (IR, back).

I still can't believe Medvedev hasn't been inserted back into the lineup by now. I wonder if they are show casing some guys like Luke or Schultz is the reason behind this.

Because i don't know how much worse Schultz has to play to bench him. Medvedev hasn't looked no where as bad as Schultz has this season and he was the one who at least had the excuse he was adapting to the north american style...Nick has zero excuses.

So how they can bench a new Russian and yet let Nick continue to play is mind boggling....

I know it's nice to see Leier get some games in but i also wouldn't mind Straka getting a shot on the LW opposite of G and Jake he has looked good for the Phantoms looks to have found his scoring touch.

Leads the Phantoms in goals this year and is tied for the the AHL lead in goals nice sat for an undrafted free agent.

Just throwing that out there he is also in the last year of his ELC so it would be nice to know more of what they have there.

@OccamsRazor   Totally agree OR....this is Straka's last year of his ELC....there is a very real pressing need to find out what we have here, before we lose him for nothing and he potentially works out for another team. He is one of the pure goal scorers on the Phantoms, that alone is reason enough to insert him on that top line and see if they friggin click.....we *know* what B.Schenn is bringing to the table, no so with Straka....give the kid his shot.

If not Straka, I'd love to see how Leier plays on that top line.

before we lose him for nothing and he potentially works out for another team.

Well they won't lose him for nothing...in fact i don't expect them to lose him at all...i mean when is the last time they have had a kid tied for the AHL lead in goal scored??? I can't remember. But i would like to see him rewarded and called up.

He to me seems just what the 1st line needs a scorer kid will fire it (leads the team in SOG with 41 i mean damn what more do they want?) Throw the kid a bone.

G and Jake are set up guys...let's see if he can help he is 6-1 195 do he is big enough. Let's see if he is ready if not he can be returned he is waiver exempt.

Flyers' legend discusses link to Coyotes' rookie

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=43029&navid=nhl:topheads&cmpid=nhl-fb

Arizona Coyotes rookie Max Domi had a chance, unexpected and unforgettable meeting with Philadelphia Flyers legend Bobby Clarke at a rink in Kitchener, Ontario, shortly after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 12 years old.

Domi will never forget the impact that meeting had on him because he saw for himself a former NHL player who made it to the Hockey Hall of Fame despite his Type 1 diabetes.

"I switched my number to 16 because of Bobby Clarke," Domi said last month during a visit to Prudential Center. "I was lucky enough to meet him at a minor hockey tournament. I met him for like maybe two minutes and I realized how much that did for me and I was like, 'That's an eye opener.' It's something difficult to deal with, but he's dealing with it so why can't I?"

Clarke remembers that meeting too, a testament to the impact it and Domi have had on him.

"I went to see my grandson, who was playing in the same rink," Clarke told NHL.com in Toronto prior to the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Nov. 9. "I walked in and I met Max. His mother was there. I met him and his teammates. I had heard from his dad [former NHL player Tie Domi] that he had juvenile diabetes and he wanted to be a hockey player, and because I had made it I had some small influence on him."

Years later, Clarke said he enjoys watching Domi play for the Coyotes, but he doesn't see the significance in making him out to be special just because he has diabetes.

Instead, Clarke wants people to see Domi for what he is, a professional hockey player making a difference on his team.

Domi is second among rookies this season with 16 points in 19 games.

"I know he has diabetes, but when I see him I see a hockey player," Clarke said. "He's a hockey player who happens to have diabetes, it isn't the other way around. So I'm watching the hockey player. He's an adult. He can take care of his own diabetic problems, which he has. But I like watching him as a hockey player because he's a terrific player."

I know it's nice to see Leier get some games in but i also wouldn't mind Straka getting a shot on the LW opposite of G and Jake he has looked good for the Phantoms looks to have found his scoring touch.

Leads the Phantoms in goals this year and is tied for the the AHL lead in goals nice sat for an undrafted free agent.

Just throwing that out there he is also in the last year of his ELC so it would be nice to know more of what they have there.

Straka was actually drafted by Columbus in the 2nd round but they were unable to sign him.

Straka was actually drafted by Columbus in the 2nd round but they were unable to sign him.

My mistake still nice to see him up there for the lead. Would be nice to see him get a shot on the Flyers soon. Especially while they have the space.

They need a scorer that is what he is...if given the chance.

Ya, I think Straka should be up right now too

It cost them absolutely nothing to look right under their noses...i just don't get it...look how good Ghost has looked...who knows Straka could be just the LW for G and Jake...nothing ventured nothing gained..

Agreed guys, if they don't give Straka his shot, and he turns out sniping 20 goals for another team....after investing 2 years in salary, time spent with coaches....what a tragic waste that would be. Give the kid his damn shot....if he stinks...well, at least you gave him a look see.....and agree with OR.....a *natural* left wing, would be really nice for that top line. ....not a supplanted center or RW....an actual LW.

Probably no players left from the bench clearing brawl these two teams took part in a few years back....I miss bench clearings.....miss it REAL bad. One of the most exciting calls in all of hockey....."AND the BENCHES CLEAR"

Well, we know Chris Neil is still there.....hopefully somebody cleans his clock....it would have been GREAT to have Ghoulbourne called up just to lay a royal beating down on Chris Neil. I would pay good money to see that clown wiped OUT.....

And even sadder news.

Nick Schultz played his 100th game as a Flyer Saturday, while Luke Schenn played his 200th game for the Flyers.

Please return Medvedev to the lineup and show Schultz the press box.

Please call Straka up this group can't score he could possibly help....he certainly can't hurt after back to back shutouts they need all the help they can get.

I can't believe I actually wasted my money and went to this game. That was so embarrassing. The entire team, except for Simmonds and Gostisbehere, looked absolutely dreadful all night long. One thing that stood out was how bad Couturier is. The guy literally does nothing with the puck. As soon as it's on his stick, it's a turnover.

I know one thing there is no way i would waste my time actually going to see this bunch live no way...i hardly want to cut the TV on to watch them.

Hakstol has his work cut out with this bunch a complete mess.

Maybe they are holding Medvedev out because hey don't want him to pick up their bad habits.

Another issue I saw was how terrible our defenseman are at boxing out players in front of our net. Ottawa did it to our forwards all night long so Anderson had a clear view of the puck all the time.

I had the HNIC feed tonight on Center Ice. I agree with the Ottawa analysts call on the Flyers ineptitude. There seems to be no articulation between d carrying out and forwards. Ghost's work is squandered--nobody around to feed.  The other comment was on the power play--essentially same staff that was #3 last year and singularly inept this season. 

Hextall has to be wondering if there will be the proverbial regression to the mean or if this bunch has just collapsed.  Is Hakstol's systerm (whatever that is) sinking this crew.

I felt badly or Mason.  His work is wasted. 

Howie

I watched both feeds.  I started streaming the Flyers feed for the first period but found the HNIC on my cable and switched.  The HNIC feed went on about how bad the Flyers were trying to break out under control as Howie mentioned.  They indicated it was either the forwards are in the wrong spot or its the D's inability to make the pass.  I think they forgot to include the forwards inability to accept a pass too.  Either way it was some pretty poignant criticism and rightfully so.

Oh, and who does Medvedev have to sleep with to get back into this miserable line up? 

fixed it for you....

Im glad it was blacked out on my TV..that way I did not have to watch this pile of  steaming-pile-of-crap-a-k-a-new-years-ev

This right here has a lot to do with the problem this quote....

“We had a good start,” Flyers captain Claude Giroux said to the attending media in Ottawa. “I think we played the way we wanted to. They scored the first goal and kind of changed the way we were playing. We need to learn from this and need to keep playing 60 minutes the same way.”

Really Clod???? Please don't utter those words after you just got shutout in back to back games! #playedwell

Flyers haven't scored a goal in last 137:34 of play, since Claude Giroux beat Jonathan Quick at 11:11 of 3rd period v the Kings on Tuesday.

Per Elias Sports Bureau, the 34 goals scored by #Flyers is a franchise record for fewest thru 20 games (previous low was 39 in 1968/69).

Archived