Game #22 - Flyers at Islanders - Nov 25 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's write up: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-112515--NYI/45/72768

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 1.76 (30th), Islanders 2.81 (10th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.81 (22nd), Islanders 2.48 (10th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 23/32, Islanders 33/30
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.6% (24th), Islanders 16.4% (23rd)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.2% (18th), Islanders 81.8% (11th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.6 (10th), Islanders 29.7 (17th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 33.0 (29th), Islanders 29.1 (14th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.9% (17th), Islanders 50.6% (12th)

Projected lineups (based on last game, will be updated after morning skate)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 93 Jakub Voracek
58 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 36 Colin McDonald

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 22 Luke Schenn 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy scratch), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy scratch), R.J. Umberger (suspected foot injury), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Ryan White (IR, suspected shoulder injury), Sam Gagner (lacerations near left eye). 

Islanders

29 Brock Nelson - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
27 Anders Lee - 51 Frans Nielsen - 12 Josh Bailey
86 Nikolay Kulemin - 84 Mikhail Grabovski - 56 Taylor Beck
17 Matt Martin - 53 Casey Cizikas - 15 Cal Clutterbuck

2 Nick Leddy - 3 Travis Hamonic
44 Calvin de Haan - 55 Johnny Boychuk
37 Brian Strait - 50 Adam Pelech

41 Jaroslav Halak / 1 Thomas Greiss

Scratches: Marek Zidlicky (healthy), Steve Bernier (healthy), Jean-Francois Berube (healthy), Thomas Hickey (IR, lower body), Eric Boulton (IR, lower body).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Chris Vandevelde is a good 4th liner/PK guy but I am not sure why they are not flipping Vandevelde and Leier. Leier has appeared to have more offensive upside and speed than Vandevelde in his small sampling. If you put him on the same line as Jake and Belly you would increase the overall speed dramatically.

Well with the injury bug that is currently following them it might happen anyway.................

The curious case of Evgeny Medvedev. Where is he? Is he not adjusting well to North America? Is there family issues? (I know his family stayed in Russia) Does he hate Philadelphia? Does he hate cheese wiz, soft pretzels, the Mummers, wooder ice? 

The curious case of Evgeny Medvedev. Where is he? Is he not adjusting well to North America? Is there family issues? (I know his family stayed in Russia) Does he hate Philadelphia? Does he hate cheese wiz, soft pretzels, the Mummers, wooder ice?

I think he's at Bryz's place in Haddonfield doing bong hits and talking about bears

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 1.76 (30th), Islanders 2.81 (10th)

Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.81 (22nd), Islanders 2.48 (10th)
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.6% (24th), Islanders 16.4% (23rd)
Shots against per game: Flyers 33.0 (29th), Islanders 29.1 (14th)

You really need to work on your pick me ups, Brel.

@brelic

Alright something has to give Manning must have some dirt on Hak and Hexy....or Hexy and Hak together...eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww....

...anyways still no Medvedev....something is strange here...

I know this will be a post that gets killed but Manning has played well/better with Gost 

I know this will be a post that gets killed but Manning has played well/better with Gost 

he has been much better, but it was not hard to improve upon how poorly he was playing...gone appears to be the" turnstile to the goal "technique that he was using a for a couple of weeks.  

having familiarity with his partner is showing ,  I like that he stood up for himself when Chris Neil was giving him the business, Neil is the last of a dying breed and Manning hung in there pretty well.

Howdy:

This is another test case of the big problem--are we discovering the need to rebuild our forwards was more pressing than the D?  I suspect Hakstol can juggle lines from now until Emily Ratajowski is dumb enough to get a breast reduction but five-on-five scoring for this team was bad last year and really awful this stanza.  We are approaching 25-30 "cases."  That approaches n for bell curve.  If we ain't producing now....it's unlikely to happen with this bunch.  I see a fire sale at trade deadline.

Howie

So, you're saying the Isles are only going to score on every 2nd shot on goal they get? 

Exactly, I'm not saying our goalies are completely useless. On the contrary. Anyway, yeah, should be a close one.

Or that he didn't tell them about it. I remember seeing something where Hextall said he was "looking into" why Medvedev had been listed as a healthy scratch, when it turned out he was injured.

I personally feel that the Flyers would be better going forward.  Their standings aren't truly representative of what they are capable of.  When they announced the series of hall-of-fame event, I had a sinking feeling they won't play better until all this hoopla is done.  Just a gut feeling.  Go Flyers.  

My theory on Medvedev is that the Flyers are pissed at him because they think he faked/exaggerated his injury

ya, because the Flyers medical staff are so great at diagnosing and assessing injuries 

Nevermind FC there is the Flyers we know. I didn't see what caused the turnover the other way but is there another team worse in the NHL with a minute to go in a period or the game? Flyer have to lead the NHL when it comes to giving up a goal with under 2 minutes to go....jeeeze!!!

Archived