Lemieux/Crosby Rift?

B21

In a interview on Sirius XM Barnaby said the following:

The more and more I looked into it, the more I found out, people with the same sentiments, that there’s a big falling out between Mario (Lemieux) and (Sidney) Crosby," said Barnaby, who played 129 games with the Penguins from 1999-2001. "Now whether that pushes them to move him at some point? Whether he wants to move? That I don’t know, “ he said.

When asked what caused the alleged rift Barnaby replied:

"I've heard over coaching," Barnaby said. "I've heard after the (2014) playoffs when they lost out. Maybe the personnel isn't right?"

Lemieux called the rumor "silly" via the Pens Twitter account. 

Crosby, when asked after the Pens OT win over the Blues had the following to say:

"I honestly don't even know what to say to that," Crosby said, via The Associated Press. "If people are going to make stuff up, it's totally out of my control. I feel stupid even commenting on it. That's ridiculous.

"I don't know if it's a coincidence that something like that comes up when you're struggling and the points aren't coming. In my experience, that's usually the case."

Considering the source (Barnaby) and the fact that he only cite other hockey people having the same opinion I have to think there isn't much to this. But I wouldn't be shocked if there was.  Ironically, Crosby had 2 goals last night....

@B21

Hmm sounds like the makings of a Clarkie vs Lindros spat... we all know how that turned out. (chuckling)

Seriously....like you said...look at the source.  Enough said.  There is no way the Pens move Crosby.  He is "THEE" face of the Pens.  I can see other pieces being moved before him.

Rumors...you gotta love them.... Remember.....

Loose_lips_might_sink_ships.jpg

My guess is that is source in Pittsburgh is Rob Rossi, that would just fit the bill of made up stories.  I give this story zero traction.  Barnaby got what he wanted in that people are talking about it and his name is mentioned.

I guess he got tired of beating his wife(Barnaby) and had to do/say something stupid to get his face back in the limelight............There are going to be raised voices when things are going awry when you are dealing with someone with his competitive spirit. I might not like Crosby but he is one of the most competitive guys on the ice.

@B21

Hmm sounds like the makings of a Clarkie vs Lindros spat... we all know how that turned out. (chuckling)

Seriously....like you said...look at the source.  Enough said.  There is no way the Pens move Crosby.  He is "THEE" face of the Pens.  I can see other pieces being moved before him.

Rumors...you gotta love them.... Remember.....

Bingo.  The trade "possibility" was even more speculation on his part based on his earlier speculation.  Clearly speculative.

Still - I wouldn't be shocked if there was "something" but not to the extent he (Barnaby) is alleging.  

Still - I wouldn't be shocked if there was "something" but not to the extent he (Barnaby) is alleging.

Maybe it's something as simple as Sid owing Mario back rent for all those years living in Mario's basement. :ph34r:  :P

Crosby can't be happy with one Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh. Considering the top draft picks the team had and the early success, he has to be looking at the way the teams been managed and shake his head. He's been a great player, yet usually has had to play with some pretty vanilla linemates.

The prospect pool has basically been depleted year after year trying to fill in holes, but to what success? Not much, since 2009. IMO they have to trade one of Crosby or Malkin to bring in a top flight defenceman and a decent 2nd line centre. The two studs just isn't working.

Crosby can't be happy with one Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh.

Well it's one more than Bozak has. Don't get greedy!  :ph34r:

they have to trade one of Crosby or Malkin to bring in a top flight defenceman and a decent 2nd line centre. The two studs just isn't working.

Agreed... and we have just the guy for you! Two words: Dion Phaneuf. A top flight defenceman and natural born leader that we're willing to part with for a Malkin. What say you? :cool[1]:

Ya know in all honesty, the better Phaneuf plays this year, the more and more like a fair trade that actually becomes. Phaneuf is having a career year in Toronto.

Sure sounds like a bunch of smoke blowing to me (alleged Crosby/Lemieux rift).

I guess since Crosby (or the Penguins offense in general) isn't having the kind of year people are accustomed to, they need SOMETHING to talk about.

Guarantee you if Sid and the Penguin offense would have been playing like they usually do, this absurd allegation wouldn't even be getting any attention whatsoever.

Just because Barnaby had trouble getting along with others doesn't mean he needs to go around suggesting everyone else is "having a problem". :)

Archived