MacDonald: Is There a Solution?

Howie58

I hate to depress folks but this guy is on the books for 5 million through 2020.  Vinnie is through 17-18 at 4,5 million but his salary goes south next year, possibly opening up a dump for us to some club.  Is MacDud salvageable?  Would someone want him at a lower price for a 5-6 defender if we bought out?  Or is this Homer's gift that never gives?  I note he has 1 goal and 11 assists with a so-so Phantoms club.  

Thoughts?

Howie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to depress folks but this guy is on the books for 5 million through 2020. 

Howie

5 million for Mcdud? I don't think he's even earned that for a career yet unless there is something I'm missing about his 1 year deal with the Flyers.

Vinny's buy-out would cost the Flyers $5,333,333 with a cap hit of 2.3m for 3 years and 888,888 for the last 3 years but paying him 888,888 for all 6.

Cheaper to let Mcdonalds contract expire, as for vinny, Best to just force him to retire.

5 million for Mcdud? I don't think he's even earned that for a career yet unless there is something I'm missing about his 1 year deal with the Flyers.

Vinny's buy-out would cost the Flyers $5,333,333 with a cap hit of 2.3m for 3 years and 888,888 for the last 3 years but paying him 888,888 for all 6.

Cheaper to let Mcdonalds contract expire, as for vinny, Best to just force him to retire.

NRH:

Here is the salary information:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/andrew-macdonald/

He really had a payday with us....his salary was 550,000  with the Islanders.  

Howie

NRH:

Here is the salary information:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/andrew-macdonald/

He really had a payday with us....his salary was 550,000  with the Islanders.  

Howie

Ah I pulled up Colin's salary it seems, his buy-out would be around 1.5m a year

1.5m for colin

2.8m for Vinny

1.6m for Bryz(what is REAL salary here should have been)

.8m   for Danny

nearly 7 million dollars in paying players to not play for you anymore.

I imagine Mac is able to be traded still but I can't imagine that would be cheaper than a buy-out or biting the bullet and occasionally playing him in an attempt to get him to wake up.

Could this be the worst deal Homer ever made? It makes absolutly no sense!!!!

Vinny...ok he used to be a superstar so I get it

Bryz...ok they needed a goalie and he had a pedigree

He overpaid for others but at least they could play and had some productive seasons.

MacDonald makes no sense at all. He wasnt much with the islanders where he made league min. salary money, he comes to the flyers for like half a season, he plays about as good as a third pair dman, and Homer decides that's enough to give him a huge contract for 6 years?!?!

I still think he can be better than some of the guys they bring up, but if they can dump that contract somewhere, Id do it in a second.

Yes, but it's Andrew MacDonald not Colin McDonald that is at issue in Howie's post.

That's Andrew who's making more than the rest of the Phantoms team combined to play in the AHL while still costing the Flyers $4M on the salary cap.

For four more years.

Yes, but it's Andrew MacDonald not Colin McDonald that is at issue in Howie's post.

That's Andrew who's making more than the rest of the Phantoms team combined to play in the AHL while still costing the Flyers $4M on the salary cap.

For four more years.

richest man in the AHL!  

It is hard to imagine that one guy earns more than the entire team.  I guess that is a reflection on professional sports' compensation.  But it is really hard to imagine what people saw in this guy.  

Maybe they will need him in Quebec or Las Vegas?  

Howie

Maybe they will need him in Quebec or Las Vegas?  

Howie

That isn't a crazy idea, especially in Las Vegas. There would be an expansion draft, which McDud would likely be on the board for (unless there are some stipulations about contracts I don't know about). It's also not exactly what you would call a hockey market, meaning they would likely be near the floor rather than the ceiling and may actually need bloated contracts just to be compliant (See: Pronger, Horton).

Hope for Vegas!

I hate to depress folks but this guy is on the books for 5 million through 2020.  Vinnie is through 17-18 at 4,5 million but his salary goes south next year, possibly opening up a dump for us to some club.  Is MacDud salvageable?  Would someone want him at a lower price for a 5-6 defender if we bought out?  Or is this Homer's gift that never gives?  I note he has 1 goal and 11 assists with a so-so Phantoms club.  

Thoughts?

Howie

I'm still of the Belief that MacDonald is not on the team now for cap purposes.  I actually take Hextall at his word on that.

Not that Hextall would bury a guy he thought could contribute in the minors, but that MacDonald wasn't performing enough to be worth limiting the kind of Roster Moves Hextall needs to be able to make.

I think MacDonald is an NHL player.  But burying him in the minors buys you the roster spot and the half million or so it does in the mean time.  He's just not playing well enough to be worth giving up the maneuverability that buys the team.  

That said, I don't think anyone besides a team having trouble making the cap floor is going to take him off our hands and even that's a stretch because of the length of his contract.

He could contribute to many teams positively in all likelihood.  Probably even here in Philly.  He'll just never contribute at a level meriting his contract.  

Still, a buyout of each is the only likely positive outcome.  And for MacDonald that would just be too much money against the cap for far too many years.  

The down side of sticking him in the minors is that he won't be able to prove to any team out there that he's worth having.

Is he the highest paid player in the AHL? He must be...

Even sitting and playing down there it's still an NHL contract, but technically I believe he would be the biggest name down there currently.

Yes, but it's Andrew MacDonald not Colin McDonald that is at issue in Howie's post.

That's Andrew who's making more than the rest of the Phantoms team combined to play in the AHL while still costing the Flyers $4M on the salary cap.

For four more years.

Yeah, I said that.

Yeah, I said that.

I must have missed it. You gave "Colin's" buyout numbers and you said that he wasn't likely to require a long term contract at a high number to re-sign?

1.5m for colin

Andrew MacDonald's buyout cap hit would be over the next eight years:

$2M

$1.5M

$1.2M

$1.0M

$1.7M

$1.7M

$1.7M

$1.7M

I must have missed it. You gave "Colin's" buyout numbers and you said that he wasn't likely to require a long term contract at a high number to re-sign?

Andrew MacDonald's buyout cap hit would be over the next eight years:

$2M

$1.5M

$1.2M

$1.0M

$1.7M

$1.7M

$1.7M

$1.7M

1.5m for colin

number is correct name is incorrect, you're going way out of your way to ignore the correct aspects of the post to get all bent out of shape about the incorrect name. Seems like Global Moderator should be above that.

@hf101

Yeah i'm not sure Alt wasn't recalled kid has played well down on the Phantoms and leads the AHL with a +13 and yet they bypass him for this p.o.s.

I really wonder about the negative message this send their prospects yeah go play hard do well and eventually by the time you're 27 you'll get a shot in the NHL....on another team more than likely.

Sorry but Hexy is making me question a lot of his decision making this year. Just pure head scratcher at times. 

1.5m for colin

number is correct name is incorrect, you're going way out of your way to ignore the correct aspects of the post to get all bent out of shape about the incorrect name. Seems like Global Moderator should be above that.

Not sure what the correct aspects of the post are.

As a Global Mod I'm not bent out of shape at all. I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Nothing in this thread has anything to do with Colin McDonald.

Again, Andrew MacDonald's buyout cap hit is $2M next season. Not $1.5. And his cap implications go far beyond that.

Archived