Game #26 - Flyers at Devils - Dec 4 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's write up: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=72994

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 1.92 (30th), Devils 2.40 (21st)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.64 (19th), Devils 2.32 (7th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 30/37, Devils 48/39
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.6% (27th), Devils 20.4% (4th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 81.2% (13th), Devils 85.1% (4th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.6 (10th), Devils 25.9 (30th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.5 (29th), Devils 28.0 (5th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.1% (14th), Devils 48.6% (25th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 52 Nick Cousins - 36 Colin McDonald

15 Michael Del Zotto - 22 Luke Schenn
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), R.J. Umberger (foot), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Ryan White (IR, shoulder), Sam Gagner (lacerations near left eye), Radko Gudas (NHL suspension). 

Devils

13 Mike Cammalleri - 14 Adam Henrique - 20 Lee Stempniak
26 Patrik Elias - 51 Sergey Kalinin - 21 Kyle Palmieri
25 Stefan Matteau - 16 Jacob Josefson - 48 Tyler Kennedy
18 Brian O'Neill - 11 Stephen Gionta - 22 Jordin Tootoo

6 Andy Greene - 5 Adam Larsson
2 John Moore - 28 Damon Severson
44 Eric Gelinas - 7 Jon Merrill

35 Cory Schneider
[1 Keith Kinkaid]

David Schlemko (healthy), Bobby Farnham (healthy), Travis Zajac (upper body), Tuomo Ruutu (IR, upper body), Jiri Tlusty (IR, upper body), Ryane Clowe (LTIR, post-concussion syndrome).

This is always a benchmark game.  I hope we get Neuvirth in goal.  You'd think a low-scoring affair is in the offing.  NJ may expect a weaker opponent. 

Flyers 4, Devils 3.....Ghost blasts one by our friend Schneider.

It's official - Neuvirth gets the nod.

Not surprising for a number of reasons.  Back to back, road then home.  Typically you give your starter the home game.  Sat game is against Mason's former team.  Also Mason has not fared to well against Jersey in the past.

I think the Devils are a great test for this team.

To see if they can get over the proverbial hump.

Like i stated Mason has never beat them in 7 tries.

We talk about the winning streak with Ghost in the lineup which i'm happy about.

So now guys go out and show me you can beat this thorn in your side Devils team with or without Marty.

I admit i thought this would change once Marty hung em up. Sadly it didn't.

Heading out to a birthday supper with friends (so i can't watch unless i sneak) it's not technically my birthday till sunday.

But i would like a win for my birthday!!! Go Flyers!!! 4-2 finally!!!

But i would like a win for my birthday!!! Go Flyers!!! 4-2 finally!!!

Happy b-day, bud.

Five Thoughts on the Game:

1) The addition of Ghost on the PP makes Giroux even more lethal. It gives him someone with slick passing to bounce off of, and of course gives him the option of a big point shot. Teams need to respect the back end now, more than they have had to in a long time.

2) Simmonds was a wrecking ball all night, and it was great.

3) Raffl needs to stop. Yeah, he's good for puck battles, but he almost always coughs them up anyway. He needs to be dropped to the bottom six permanently.

4) Medvedev was a fantastic off-season acquisition. I'm not sure how many years he's got left, but I could see a 2-3 year contract for him for sure.

5) G and Voracek were dominant when reunited in overtime. They did everything but score, and came a post close from doing just that. They made the Devils look irrelevant.

Happy b-day, bud.

Five Thoughts on the Game:

1) The addition of Ghost on the PP makes Giroux even more lethal. It gives him someone with slick passing to bounce off of, and of course gives him the option of a big point shot. Teams need to respect the back end now, more than they have had to in a long time.

2) Simmonds was a wrecking ball all night, and it was great.

3) Raffl needs to stop. Yeah, he's good for puck battles, but he almost always coughs them up anyway. He needs to be dropped to the bottom six permanently.

4) Medvedev was a fantastic off-season acquisition. I'm not sure how many years he's got left, but I could see a 2-3 year contract for him for sure.

5) G and Voracek were dominant when reunited in overtime. They did everything but score, and came a post close from doing just that. They made the Devils look irrelevant.

Nice hate to give up the point to them but it's a step in the right direction i only watched the last 10 minutes of regulation and OT. But man at least the are hustling and skating.

Now the next thing to do is get Mason a win versus them. I'll be 44 sunday. Man i'm getting old....but it's better than the alternative.

Nice hate to give up the point to them but it's a step in the right direction i only watched the last 10 minutes of regulation and OT. But man at least the are hustling and skating.

Now the next thing to do is get Mason a win versus them. I'll be 44 sunday. Man i'm getting old....but it's better than the alternative.

Happy Birthday/ There is something to be said for looking at the grass from the right side!

The Devils didn't deserve anything in this game. One of the worst efforts I've seen from them this season. Flyers should have won pretty easily in regulation.

By the way, what the hell was Neuvirth doing on that Matteau goal?

The Devils didn't deserve anything in this game. One of the worst efforts I've seen from them this season. Flyers should have won pretty easily in regulation.

I dunno. **** happens. I'm sure even Brodeur let in some stinkers like that before

Before the game he told his teammates that he was going to do a Michael Leighton impersonation however they didn't see the funny side... 

I honestly think if ghost is never brought up and streit is still playing, things would have continued they way they were going. We would have seen the one win/3 loss pattern all season.

The team looks completely different now and I cant figure out why besides one player. I think it's because a lot of those players just werent in it mentally. They were just going through the motions because they didnt expect to win.

Then Ghost came in. He made the PP better. He gave Giroux someone to play with because they think the same. He scored a couple OT winners. Now, all of the sudden, they're playing like they think they can win, they're finally sticking up for each other by fighting for each other, and guys like Couturier, simmonds, read, and Bellemare are actually doing things.

It took just one little spark.

I honestly think if ghost is never brought up and streit is still playing, things would have continued they way they were going. We would have seen the one win/3 loss pattern all season.

The team looks completely different now and I cant figure out why besides one player. I think it's because a lot of those players just werent in it mentally. They were just going through the motions because they didnt expect to win.

Then Ghost came in. He made the PP better. He gave Giroux someone to play with because they think the same. He scored a couple OT winners. Now, all of the sudden, they're playing like they think they can win, they're finally sticking up for each other by fighting for each other, and guys like Couturier, simmonds, read, and Bellemare are actually doing things.

It took just one little spark.

You're absolutely right in that Ghost adds a ton to the team. He's a threat at both playmaking and scoring from the back end, which gives players like G and Voracek way more options. The PP with those three shuffling pucks around is a thing to behold.

That said, last night was very much a team victory. They controlled the flow of the game for most of the night. They were stellar at breaking up Devils plays and converting them into offensive chances.

I also noticed more times than not, they did this in the neutral zone. I think this is key. PHI has no Weber or Doughty who can dominate play in the d-zone and send the play forward. They get hemmed in very easily. What PHI does have is a bunch of pretty solid two-way players -- your favourite son being a prime example. By breaking up plays in the neutral zone instead of the d-zone, they're playing to their strengths.

That is 4 in a row for the Flyers!!! Nice this is certainly going to throw a monkey wrench in flyercanuck's draft pick plans!!!wink.gif

You won't hear me complain that they're playing well.  

As it stands, they're about 4 points out of a playoff spot, and about 4 points out of picking 6th overall.

I wouldn't plan the parade yet.

Archived