Philadelphia = Terrible MEDIA Hockey Town

icehole

Im so sick of it.

First, there is absolutly no discussion in the media about the flyers...ever. I have sports radio on in the background all day. Whenever the flyers are brought up to a caller, they laugh and say "I dont care about that...let's get back to football".

Most casual hockey fans in town have no idea what they are talking about. I dont blame it completely on them though. The information isn't present. Do the flyers even have beat writers anymore? What happened with lavy...that was never covered. What are the trade rumors...never hear anything about that in the media. Why is medvedev a scratch...who knows because the media isnt on it.

Then I watch CSN for the game recap in the morning. The flyers are on a 4 game win streak. The eagles are on a 3 game losing streak. The flyers played last night and won. The flyers play tonight. The eagles dont play until sunday afternoon. So what kicks off sportsrise...you got it eagles/patriots preview. Do I blame that on CSN...no. CSN does what they have to for ratings. Philadelphia sports fans want to watch the terrible eagles news before the streaking flyers news.

I can blame CSN for having terrible anchors that have absolutely no interest in hockey. Jen Daniels talks about the flyers going on the powerplay. Then she says "later in the game, simmer scores on the setup from voracek". She didnt watch the f'ing game. If she did, she would know that simmonds scored seconds into that PP that she mentioned earlier...not "later in the game". Then I have to hear her say that "Edward Bellemare" put the flyers ahead. She sure knows her hockey.

Oh yeah, then there's a story about how the mayor elect, or whatever the F he is, is supporting some 19 year old moron on the sixers for getting into fights and driving 100mph.

Can the flyers move to canada...I'll follow them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice rant, although I do want the Flyers to stay in Philly.  They have no problem selling tickets to fill up the seats to their home games.

I quit listening to sports talk radio in Philly a couple of years ago, and I stopped turning on the TV completely in the morning.  Thus neither venue gets my click for ratings.

Bill Meltzer is is the best source of unbiased knowledge/news when it comes to the Flyers. Any of the writers that cover for the philly rags always have a chip on their shoulder about something or how they were treated by the Flyers and you can read it in every word they write.

Interesting thread.  But I have to wonder if the "problem" is that hockey's demographic is not in tune with "The New America?"  While I see more Hispanics at Panthers games (I suspect Al Montoya is on the squad for talent and background, as "The Big Cubano), I see few blacks.  I am not an affirmative action supporter in any way, shape or form...my comment/thought here is that media have to be attuned to their markets.  "Diversity" in the NHL seems to be broadening players out from North America.  I remember writing one of the Herald's beat reporters on this about 10 years ago and got brushed off.  Think about it: hockey and soccer have a similar feel with offside rules and the need to retreat in order to advance--but it took ages for us to get a national TV contract.  Again--I think hockey appeals to a white, affluent, educated group.  The media may see that and behave accordingly.  Just a thought.  

Howie

IMHO, this thread title should be "terrible MEDIA hockey town". The flyers have a huge fan add and and a dedicated following. They also have the worst collection of beat writers of any NHL market. There's a few solid bloggers/internet sites, but the mainstream media/beat writers are abysmal.

Philly is not a bad hockey town, and I say that while pretty much agreeing with the content of the OP. It's a football town first. In 1993 when the Phillies were in the middle of an improbable run to the World Series, talk radio was 75% Eagles. In July.

Add in the fact that hockey is considered the "4th sport" in most of America, ESPN quit hockey years ago. As DGG says, it's the media here that sucks at hockey. Then you have 97.5 in the afternoon drive while that condescending douchebag belittles the Flyers and the sport.

Just be careful saying the town itself is a terrible hockey town, I think that misses the mark a bit. If Philly is a terrible hockey town, I'm not sure what that makes the rest of the US team cities

Nice rant, although I do want the Flyers to stay in Philly. They have no problem selling tickets to fill up the seats to their home games.

I quit listening to sports talk radio in Philly a couple of years ago, and I stopped turning on the TV completely in the morning. Thus neither venue gets my click for ratings.

It amazes me that they do sell pretty well. I guess the hardcore fans really do show up.

Interesting thread. But I have to wonder if the "problem" is that hockey's demographic is not in tune with "The New America?" While I see more Hispanics at Panthers games (I suspect Al Montoya is on the squad for talent and background, as "The Big Cubano), I see few blacks. I am not an affirmative action supporter in any way, shape or form...my comment/thought here is that media have to be attuned to their markets. "Diversity" in the NHL seems to be broadening players out from North America. I remember writing one of the Herald's beat reporters on this about 10 years ago and got brushed off. Think about it: hockey and soccer have a similar feel with offside rules and the need to retreat in order to advance--but it took ages for us to get a national TV contract. Again--I think hockey appeals to a white, affluent, educated group. The media may see that and behave accordingly. Just a thought.

Howie

Well, poor people can play soccer with a ball and open space. Hockey is hardly as accessible to start.

Bill Meltzer is is the best source of unbiased knowledge/news when it comes to the Flyers. Any of the writers that cover for the philly rags always have a chip on their shoulder about something or how they were treated by the Flyers and you can read it in every word they write.

I do see meltzer every once in a while, but does he have the access of a pinach or others? Is anyone diligant enough to get answers to questions that a lot of us have?

I do see meltzer every once in a while, but does he have the access of a pinach or others? Is anyone diligant enough to get answers to questions that a lot of us have?

Well Meltzer actually watches the games...so he has that going for him.

Interesting thread. But I have to wonder if the "problem" is that hockey's demographic is not in tune with "The New America?" While I see more Hispanics at Panthers games (I suspect Al Montoya is on the squad for talent and background, as "The Big Cubano), I see few blacks. I am not an affirmative action supporter in any way, shape or form...my comment/thought here is that media have to be attuned to their markets. "Diversity" in the NHL seems to be broadening players out from North America. I remember writing one of the Herald's beat reporters on this about 10 years ago and got brushed off. Think about it: hockey and soccer have a similar feel with offside rules and the need to retreat in order to advance--but it took ages for us to get a national TV contract. Again--I think hockey appeals to a white, affluent, educated group. The media may see that and behave accordingly. Just a thought.

Howie

I sort of see what you are saying. I think hockey gets a bad rap for not being diverse enough. I think they are accepting of any race and culture. The problem is that those races and cultures are dead set on playing basketball and football that they never give hockey a chance. I also think hockey is too expensive for underprivileged area which tend to be black or hispanic.

The media might see that, not want to exclude an entire race or culture, and not showcase the sport. What happens though is because of lack of exposure, the sport gets less and less enticing.

@icehole

Just a suggestion, but instead of seeing it as a problem, why not look at it as an opportunity?

Start a blog, podcast, or even join a discussion forum to get your Flyers fix! :)

Im too lazy. I already have a job. I appreciate the bloggers and podcasters, but it's just a hobby for them. There needs to be more properly trained and credited media members that cover the team as their job.

My thirty nine cents on the whole Flyer vs other team coverage on local sports talk:

Same sort of thing goes on here in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN.

The freakin "State of Hockey".

Wild have been the best, most consistent pro sports franchise here (outside of the women's Minnesota Lynx WNBA team, if you want to count them)....yet most of the local sports talk airwaves are filled with Viking talk (Vikes may be on an upswing now, but have been downright disappointing year after year prior), the Twins (who have been a 90+ loss team for the last 4 years, up until they reached .500 status last year), and, of all things, the terrible, stinky sock drawer, bottom of the barrel Minnesota Timberwolves!

Meanwhile, the Wild have played upper tier hockey, have made the playoffs consistently the last three seasons, have knocked out division winning Colorado from the post season in one run...knocked out favored St. Louis in another....and it ALWAYS takes the mighty Blackhawks to dispose of the Wild.

Yet, the hockey team gets second and third rate love from the local airwaves, in favor of some of the other relative pro sports "bums" who inhabit this same area.

Fact is, like was mentioned, hockey is viewed as the "4th sport" in North America.

Well, to be fair, Canada rates hockey higher than baseball, football, and basketball..........but in the states, the NFL, NBA (lord only knows why!), and even the MLB, are bigger draws, unfortunately.

But then again, the NHL hasn't helped their own cause with inconsistent policies/rulings, probably the lamest All Star Game formats, two recent lockouts, and the poorest of marketing for their product of the four major sports.

Its ok though, I still place hockey above the other sports as far as fun to watch and favorite spectator sport (even though I LOVE baseball too), but I can sympathize with the local Flyer fan who wants to hear more about the team (especially when THEY are in season, and even winning some games), and all they are getting is news about the putrid Phillies, the lame Eagles, and even the abysmal Sixers.

Just the way it is right now in pro sports in America.

IMHO, this thread title should be "terrible MEDIA hockey town". The flyers have a huge fan add and and a dedicated following. They also have the worst collection of beat writers of any NHL market. There's a few solid bloggers/internet sites, but the mainstream media/beat writers are abysmal.

I used to think that but the media only does what they are told to do. They get their orders from people that do studies to figure out what will get views and clicks. Hockey doesnt get the views and clicks so they dont cover it like they should.

I also think hockey is too expensive for underprivileged area which tend to be black or hispanic.

The media might see that, not want to exclude an entire race or culture, and not showcase the sport.

That's a very magnanimous statement, and I applaud you for taking a devil's advocate position. But the media couldn't give two shits about offending or excluding anyone.

Philly is not a bad hockey town, and I say that while pretty much agreeing with the content of the OP. It's a football town first. In 1993 when the Phillies were in the middle of an improbable run to the World Series, talk radio was 75% Eagles. In July.

Add in the fact that hockey is considered the "4th sport" in most of America, ESPN quit hockey years ago. As DGG says, it's the media here that sucks at hockey. Then you have 97.5 in the afternoon drive while that condescending douchebag belittles the Flyers and the sport.

Just be careful saying the town itself is a terrible hockey town, I think that misses the mark a bit. If Philly is a terrible hockey town, I'm not sure what that makes the rest of the US team cities

I agree with the sports ranks...I know where hockey stands, and I guess that's part of my point. The media exaggerates the importance of those sports ranks though. I've gotten into it with missanelli many times. With he and others it's cut and dry. Eagles are #1 so that's all they'll talk about. It's not that cut and dry though (at least to me). If it's February and the flyers are the best team in hockey and they just traded for McDavid at the deadline, but on the same day someone finds out that Chip Kelly likes to listen to jazz music, missanelli still thinks the Chip Kelly jazz story is more important because that's Eagles talk.

Then he says that there isn't enough of a story with hockey. They are masters of making a story out of anything though...they just choose the story they want to tell.

I used to get on Mikes case a lot, but the truth is that he is probably right. More people in Philadelphia would rather hear about chip kelly's love for jazz rather than talk about the flyers being the best team and getting McDavid. That's why I say Philadelphia is a terrible hockey town.

My thirty nine cents on the whole Flyer vs other team coverage on local sports talk:

Same sort of thing goes on here in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN.

The freakin "State of Hockey".

Wild have been the best, most consistent pro sports franchise here (outside of the women's Minnesota Lynx WNBA team, if you want to count them)....yet most of the local sports talk airwaves are filled with Viking talk (Vikes may be on an upswing now, but have been downright disappointing year after year prior), the Twins (who have been a 90+ loss team for the last 4 years, up until they reached .500 status last year), and, of all things, the terrible, stinky sock drawer, bottom of the barrel Minnesota Timberwolves!

Meanwhile, the Wild have played upper tier hockey, have made the playoffs consistently the last three seasons, have knocked out division winning Colorado from the post season in one run...knocked out favored St. Louis in another....and it ALWAYS takes the mighty Blackhawks to dispose of the Wild.

Yet, the hockey team gets second and third rate love from the local airwaves, in favor of some of the other relative pro sports "bums" who inhabit this same area.

Fact is, like was mentioned, hockey is viewed as the "4th sport" in North America.

Well, to be fair, Canada rates hockey higher than baseball, football, and basketball..........but in the states, the NFL, NBA (lord only knows why!), and even the MLB, are bigger draws, unfortunately.

But then again, the NHL hasn't helped their own cause with inconsistent policies/rulings, probably the lamest All Star Game formats, two recent lockouts, and the poorest of marketing for their product of the four major sports.

Its ok though, I still place hockey above the other sports as far as fun to watch and favorite spectator sport (even though I LOVE baseball too), but I can sympathize with the local Flyer fan who wants to hear more about the team (especially when THEY are in season, and even winning some games), and all they are getting is news about the putrid Phillies, the lame Eagles, and even the abysmal Sixers.

Just the way it is right now in pro sports in America.

It's funny you say that. In 2010 when the flyers played the bruins in the playoffs, I started listening to 98.5 in boston. For one, I just wanted to get the view from the enemy, and two, there wasnt much talk on the radio in philadelphia.

I enjoyed their radio station so I go back to it every once in a while. If something major happens with the flyers, I'll probably hear more about it on that station than I will on philli radio. If the Bruins played or will play tonight, they spend time talking about it. Same with the celtics. Its almost like they like to talk about all 4 major sports equally...weird.

Ive joked around before saying that they must talk about the bruins because the other teams in Boston havent done anything recently.

Archived