Simmonds rumour

brelic

This is definitely an interesting one.

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2015/12/06/a-big-deal-involving-wayne-simmonds-and-the-canadi/

---

Trade rumors linking the Canadiens and Flyers have popped up in the past, but they’ve increased recently as two sides look to potentially make a deal.

The DLC blog up in Montreal reported thatMarc Bergevin sent a pair of scouts to Philadelphia’s game against the Devils on Friday, while Flyers GM Ron Hextall sent a team representative to Montreal’s game in Carolina Saturday night.

Another Montreal-based blog added that the target for the Canadiens is forward Wayne Simmonds, and that a package of Nathan Beaulieu and Sven Andrighetto could get a deal done.

Beaulieu is a budding top four defenseman that plays a physical game and mixes it with playmaking ability, while Andrighetto is another player with a ton of potential as a speedy winger that can score points. The Flyers will have to decide if and when to pull the plug on the season, and if they do, Simmonds would be a piece that could net a big return.

Would you be willing to part with Simmonds in exchange for those two players?

---

To me, that looks like the kind of move Hextall would make to jump start the defensive rebuild, and could flip one of our defensive prospects in another deal for a proven forward or a 1st rounder.

Plus, Hextall would have to clear at least two guys from our current defense. Waive Manning and care not if he gets claimed. And trade someone else.

Andrighetto seems like a very interesting prospect too. Shifty, fast, and high hockey IQ.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2015/12/06/a-big-deal-involving-wayne-simmonds-and-the-canadi/

---

---

To me, that looks like the kind of move Hextall would make to jump start the defensive rebuild, and could flip one of our defensive prospects in another deal for a proven forward or a 1st rounder.

Plus, Hextall would have to clear at least two guys from our current defense. Waive Manning and care not if he gets claimed. And trade someone else.

Andrighetto seems like a very interesting prospect too. Shifty, fast, and high hockey IQ.

I'm surprised to be honest.  Wayne's a good piece and he's finally getting going now.  I just don't know enough about these guys.

To me it makes more sense if there's a deal for Streit or B. Schenn in place.  Of course that won't happen until people know he can play again.  Also... This deal is going to be about as popular as the Hextall deal.  Especially when these guys come in and don't light the world on fire right away.    At least they could someday (sorry RJ)

I feel like that would be key. Getting Beaulieu definitely makes at least one of our dmen open for trading. I'm not a huge Beaulieu fan though. Maybe he just gets flipped. He would be an upgrade over someone like Hagg maybe. I just don't know that Hagg is very high on the prospect list for trading purposes.

I'm not sure Beaulieu is better than Morin, and he's definitely not better than Provorov or Sanheim. It's an odd one for sure.

I don't know what the Habs have for a stable, but you would think a pair of forwards would be a better option than Beaulieu in our case. Though it's true dmen are more valuable trade chips...

I also have to wonder if this is selling Simmer pretty low. I feel like he could net a better return than this.

I'm not sure Beaulieu is better than Morin, and he's definitely not better than Provorov or Sanheim. It's an odd one for sure.

Is he playing in the NHL?  If so, then he's better than Morin.  I'd have assumed this is insurance for when the team trades or can't afford to resign MDZ.  

So they deal Streit by the deadline this year.

Schultz and MDZ anchor as vets next year, but maybe they don't (or can't resign MDZ) and they don't renew Schultz

Ghost is the vet D man with the most experience by 2017.  

Sven Andrighetto is a RW to replace Simmonds and would be cheaper.  I don't know that I like it, but it makes sense.  He's supposed to be a pretty good skater, so...

Beaulieu is still young and a first round pick (#17--ironic).   I don't know anything about him other than what anyone here could look at themselves online, but he seems like he'd be a good addition to the stable and is further along than our prospects at this point.  

I guess I'd do it, but it's not like I'm cheering for the Flyers to trade Simmonds.

I think if you're going to trade Simmonds you could do better....it's not a horrible deal, but it certainly isn't great. 

Simmonds is the type of player Montreal needs, and has a great contract. Philly doesn't need to trade him. So the only way they should is for an overpayment. Which this isn't IMO.

I think if you're going to trade Simmonds you could do better....it's not a horrible deal, but it certainly isn't great. 

Simmonds is the type of player Montreal needs, and has a great contract. Philly doesn't need to trade him. So the only way they should is for an overpayment. Which this isn't IMO.

Completely agree with this.    Although, I think Philly's position is hampered by the fact they need to clear space for Streit.  That's the only reason I can imagine they'd do this and not wait for deadline for more.

If the Habs throw in a 2nd round pick (or higher) in the same deal, do you bite?

---

---

I'm passing on this one. If i trade Simmer i'd prefer it out west....i don't want to have to face him on top of i don't think that is a great package for him. I think you can do better.

Sorry i'd need more proven talent or prospects with better upside.

If so, then he's better than Morin.

No he isn't better than Morin. And to use is he in the NHL as your yardstick is very poor. Morin is only 20 Nate is 23. So he's had 3 more year of development.

And besides he is 23 and has played 114 games and only put up 22 points not exactly earth shattering. Sorry i pass.

Is he playing in the NHL?  If so, then he's better than Morin.   

I'm not sure I agree with you there.

Don't get me wrong, I know Beaulieu is a solid player. The Sea Dogs are a local team here, and I would say they're the only junior team I have followed to any real extent. During his time in SJ, he played on a stacked team by juniors standards. Because of this, it's hard to say how good he was on an individual basis. He may just have benefited from really good teammates.

I think he's certainly a top 4 D in this league. I think Morin likely will be too. When I say I'm not sure he's better, I mean it exactly like that. I think it could go either way.

It's not a bad return in general, but I do think Simmonds could get a better haul than this. The undersized minors guy doesn't really add enough value for me. As others have pointed out, not only is Simmonds a proven producer. He's the kind of player every team looking for a cup run can really use. I'm not opposed to trading him. I just think we could do better.

No he isn't better than Morin. And to use is he in the NHL as your yardstick is very poor. Morin is only 20 Nate is 23. So he's had 3 more year of development.

And besides he is 23 and has played 114 games and only put up 22 points not exactly earth shattering. Sorry i pass.

I agree with FC, unless it's an overpayment you don't trade a player who is on a great cap-hit contract for the next 3 or 4 years and who can score you goals and play tough. Besides I wouldn't trade any player to Montreal to help them out, can't stand their fanbase.

Simmonds a proven producer

Yes and he has done something 3 times.....Jake hasn't done once. Giroux has only done.......twice. Score 28 goals or more. In fact he has lead the team in goals the last two seasons.

So yeah i'm going to need much more for that and once you consider his contract he is without doubt the steal of the team....if not the NHL.

So i take it you agree. You're speechless.

I think he's certainly a top 4 D in this league. I think Morin likely will be too. When I say I'm not sure he's better, I mean it exactly like that. I think it could go either way.

Oh don't get me wrong.  On the whole I don't think this is a deal you do now.  Maybe when Simmonds' contract is coming up, but not now.  

All I meant buy the "in the NHL" comment wasn't who would have the better upside eventually.  The long and short is that it's a big long important three years developmentally.  The up side is that the trade being discussed has nothing to do with Morin and I wouldn't trade Morin unless we were getting something amazing in return.

Overall, SImmonds cap hit is great for us, his contract is a decent length and we have more than enough promising D prospects in the system.  I'm just not sure this deal makes any sense.  I just like being slightly more realistic about a bird in the hand from time to time because I'm frustrated that we couldn't play a guy like Morin in the NHL right now even if they thought he was ready.

That's actually a really interesting idea.   The kid is only 21 and been up for a couple years and doing well.   I'd consider that.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think MTL would be interested in trading away their likely soon to be top center. I guess it really depends on how badly they want a cup run over the next couple years though. Simmonds has tremendous value for a contending team like MTL.

Beyond this, Tinordi is apparently back in the MTL line up, and Semin has been waived. With Gallagher out on injury, they have a pretty big need for RWers at the moment. A gritty power forward like Simmonds would be a perfect fit for them right now. With Tinordi back, they can afford to lose another dman. This only lends credibility to the Beaulieu rumour...

I still think Hex could do way better.

So i take it you agree. You're speechless.

I hate my phone sometimes.

My only caveat is just that Morin isn't allowed to play in the NHL yet as per hextall (Sanheim and Provo aren't allowed per the league rules) and this guy apparently is. That literally makes him better now. Not talking long term.

I do t necessarily like the deal. We don't need a d prospect. We need Transition and speed. Maybe that's the other guy.

abso-f'ing-lutely FC...

as the proposed trade stands I would not do it...  I am not that big on Beaulieu and not really sure if we are getting enough in return.   Sorry, just would not take that deal as it currently stands.   Who on this team would be the net presence player?   Simmer is one of the last true tough dudes on the Flyers...   

Archived