How can we get Jeff Reese back?

King Knut

Clearly Mason needs him.

I don't think Neuvy can hold out a whole season as a #1. So we need Mason.

Ergo we need Reese back because Mason can't seem to hold his Poop together without him.

Wish Reese could come back...but the reality is I don't think he wants to come back. Going back to last season and the rumors about bad blood between him and Flyers management...I believe this ship has sailed.

It seems more like Mason has other issues, he seems distracted in net, I don't think it's a coaching issue in this instance.

Depending on what the family issues where back in the beginning of November, it may take sometime for someone to get over that (Mason may not fully be over whatever happen back then)....  It would be totally understandable that he is distracted.

This seems to be similar to what he went through in Columbus though.  

Reese seemed to really get in his head and help him focus through that stuff.

If there was a sports shrink that did it, get that guy on speed dial!

As far as Reese leaving, while I get it I also don't like it.  If he was mad because Hexy and Berube put Mason in danger by putting him the lineup and then making him play despite not NEEDING him to play respectively, then quitting is really no way to help the player you're upset about them endangering.  

It was a bad mistake by Hextall last year.  I understand it was a cap and roster spot issue that resulted from Homer being a dupes, but he had to know Berube was going to do whatever it took to try to win games to keep his job and that included playing Mason when he didn't have to.  Hextall shouldn't have given him the chance.  

Either way, Mason is not the Mason we need right now.  Last night should have been 2 points against a divisional rival.  The team played well.  Well everyone but Schultz maybe.  

you dont think mason is just not a good goalie? i mean his only one good year he was great was a rookie in columbus after that, he's just not the goalie he once was. look at cam ward in carolina he was fantastic in his rookie year, when he won the Stanley cup after that, he's just not the great goalie everyone thought he was, even boucher had a great year in the playoffs with flyers and he fell off the cliff after that.

that's the way it is sometimes, you cant keep making excuses that these goalies that are going to great goalies because they were great in their rookie years, sometimes they are just not as good as you think.

look at cam ward in carolina he was fantastic in his rookie year, when he won the Stanley cup after that

Ward was 3.68/.882 in his first year (28 games) with Carolina. He had a hot playoff, but let's not pretend he was a world-beater going in - Laviolette was basically forced to try him in the playoffs and he responded. His next season was 2.93/.897 in 60 games.

He has put up some respectable years since - 2.44/.916 in 0809; 2.56/.923 in 1011; even 2.4/.910 last season - and he's played for some pretty woeful teams. He's not a game-changer, but he's capable of getting hot.

Mason actually had better numbers last year than in his rookie year (2.29/.916 as a rook, 2.25/.928 last year) and that followed a 2.5/.917 year in 1314. He was third in the league last season in SV% and 7th in GAA.

@briere48

You just kinda pull stuff outta yer ass sometimes don't you? Lol it's okay we all do it to some degree...but the fact is Mason

- ah n'mind rad covered it.

ok mason is the best goalie in the world despite his bad play.

the goalie coach is bad and yet nevy is playing better than him so it's the goalie coaches fault and not mason's.

There are, of course, many shades of gray between "total bust" and "best goalie in the world".

Neuvirth has one year in his career where he played more than 40 games and he finished 2.45/.914 in 2010-11.

That was, in fact, his best GAA year of his career so far - he hasn't had an NHL year below 2.7 since.

No one also said the current goalie coach was "bad" - just noted that Mason himself has said that Reese was a positive influence on him and his game after being traded. The results would seem to bear that out.

Coming into this year, Mason was sporting a 2.36 GAA as a Flyer.

That Mason's game had taken a bit of a slide without Reese could just be a coincidence. Given his "personal issues" this season, it wouldn't surprise me if even Reese wouldn't have a significant effect on changing Mason at this time.

And that has nothing at all to do with Reese, Neuvirth or Cam Ward.

you dont think mason is just not a good goalie? i mean his only one good year he was great was a rookie in columbus after that, he's just not the goalie he once was. look at cam ward in carolina he was fantastic in his rookie year, when he won the Stanley cup after that, he's just not the great goalie everyone thought he was, even boucher had a great year in the playoffs with flyers and he fell off the cliff after that.

that's the way it is sometimes, you cant keep making excuses that these goalies that are going to great goalies because they were great in their rookie years, sometimes they are just not as good as you think.

I think Mason has been a good goalie since his rookie year.  He's done quite well for us last year.  

This year whatever the personal matter was that kept him out of the lineup really seems to have been the starting point for some shakyness.  Who knows what it was / is and if it's still in his head, but he hasn't quite been the same all year.  He's been very good here and there, but not quite what we'd come to expect from him.  

I don't think he's an amazing or legendary goaltender, but he was very strong last year and I just want him to feel confident enough to play that way again now.  

And to watch him on his off nights, it really looks like his focus is just a bit off.  Seems very correctable.  

What happened for reese to leave  ... I kinda missed all that  someone fill me in ...   T Y .

When Mason came back from injury last season, he was put in as the backup goalie with the idea that he wouldn't play because he wasn't yet "fully recovered".

Berube then pulled the starter and put in Mason.

The theory was that Reese was unhappy with how that played out and felt they were risking Mason's long term health.

I don't know that Reese has ever actually been quoted saying that, but that's the popular theory.

ok mason is the best goalie in the world despite his bad play.

the goalie coach is bad and yet nevy is playing better than him so it's the goalie coaches fault and not mason's.

No one said the current goalie coach is bad.  Mason really seemed to have an affinity with Reese.  Many here including myself were worried about the effect losing Reese would have on Mase as he had some head game focus issues in Columbus that seemed to be mostly what he corrected in coming here.  

When Mason came back from injury last season, he was put in as the backup goalie with the idea that he wouldn't play because he wasn't yet "fully recovered".

Berube then pulled the starter and put in Mason.

The theory was that Reese was unhappy with how that played out and felt they were risking Mason's long term health.

I don't know that Reese has ever actually been quoted saying that, but that's the popular theory.

Yeah a lot of this is assumption on our part, right?  no one really knows what happened.  But a goalie coach and his team parting ways in the middle of a season like that without any real explanation and without another immediate job lined up for the coach or another immediate goalie coach lined up for the team seems to suggest a rift and it all happened in the immediate wake of that game... so assumptions... but probably fairly safe assumptions.

Yeah a lot of this is assumption on our part, right? no one really knows what happened. But a goalie coach and his team parting ways in the middle of a season like that without any real explanation and without another immediate job lined up for the coach or another immediate goalie coach lined up for the team seems to suggest a rift and it all happened in the immediate wake of that game... so assumptions... but probably fairly safe assumptions.

Yeah, but I was more in the position of giving information there.

I completely believe that's what happened :)

Archived