Lets Bash JVR:Bungholes

Guest The Quigster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

That's one game , when it turns into a month of score sheets that look like this and he's dominant on the ice like Tyler Seguin is then I'll reach my hand out to pull him from beneath the bus

in all seriousness, it was good to see him get on the board with a couple goals, even if they were served on platter like s3x said. the guy has looked so tentative with the puck in the last dozen or so games, so lacking confidence... hopefully this will push him in the right direction (and get him off my bench in my FHL).

in all seriousness, it was good to see him get on the board with a couple goals, even if they were served on platter like s3x said. the guy has looked so tentative with the puck in the last dozen or so games, so lacking confidence... hopefully this will push him in the right direction (and get him off my bench in my FHL).

indeed. I've been dogging him of late, but that's mostly because I feel like he's been playing under his ability. Is it wrong to expect someone to perform to the best of their ability. My biggest concern with him is his apparent lack of desire. We've all caught a glimpse of what could be and we haven't really seen it since. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come... however until I see it with any sort of regularity, I won't be took quick to absolve him. Nice effort none the less, here's to more JVR

lets see him keeps this up. yes he played good tonight but shelly could have potted those goals. for most of this season he just looked like he is going through the motions cause he got paid. how bout we revisit this at the allstar break to see if he is still under the bus

Are you guys still concerned about "J"?????????

Are you not?

This is exactly what has everyone pissed off at the guy. He shows up when he feels like it. If that's the type of player you like, get yourself some KHL tickets and watch Zherdev.

I will say that regardless of JVRs goals being served on platters.... the line of JVR Schenn Simmonds looked incredible all night.

I'll second that! I want this line to stay together for the next few games. It would be great to have yet another scoring line!

I'll second that! I want this line to stay together for the next few games. It would be great to have yet another scoring line!

I thought it looked good as well so found it interesting that Laviolette chose to put them out late in the game with Hartnell in JvR's place and then put JvR out with Giroux and Hartnell in the last minute. Confusing. BTW, the winning goal appeared to be on a set play because Hartnell didn't look or hesitate before getting the puck to JvR.

I will say that regardless of JVRs goals being served on platters.... the line of JVR Schenn Simmonds looked incredible all night.

that's what i'm most excited about. if that line can keep that chemistry going... we've got a new 2nd line. unfortunately, that would leave briere the odd-man out. i love briere, but as much as i do... they just haven't found him the right line combinations here this year. he's had so many line partners that i haven't seen him have any consistent chemistry. i hate to say it, but if they really wanna make a big move for a good D man, briere might be a piece they ask to waive his NMC.

i'd rather see him stay, but they've gotta find a way to get him some good linemates.

Are you guys still concerned about "J"?????????

JVR had a fine game last night - one of the few this year - and the first in almost 2 months - where he skated with purpose every shift.

That "every shift" part is kind of important. It's one of the things that separates the pretenders from the contenders, game in game out, year in year out.

I'm afraid we'll all have to get used to the idea that JVR will never be a real (meaning "consistent") force in the NHL, a go-to guy, a money player. He'll turn in the odd shift here and there where he drives through the opposition and scores a power forward-type goal. Once every few months he'll skate with purpose the whole night and collect 2 or 3 points the way he did last night. But he'll never be in the same conversation as Vanek or Cole, Ryan Clowe - and of the wingers in the NHL known for working hard every shift, whatever the results may be, whatever injuries they're carrying at the moment.

JVR looks like he's content to be a 40-point guy - at $4.25 million through 2018 - and it would not shock me in the least if he quits pro hockey in the next couple years.

I'm afraid we'll all have to get used to the idea that JVR will never be a real (meaning "consistent") force in the NHL, a go-to guy, a money player.

It's a bit premature to forecast what he can/cannot be in this league. He is certainly young enough to turn his career around at no time. I sure hoped he would be a perfect breakout candidate this season..... with an increased role due to Richards' and Carter's departure and everything. But his ability to dominate and fill the stat sheet is unreal, especially with a right set-up centerman.... which is why it would be just such a damn shame to see that much talent completely wasted.

The real question - at least to me - is how patient the Flyers are willing to be to work with this guy. We are frustrated, so I am sure the Flyers are frustarted at least as much as we are, if not more. So it's relaly their decision. JVR took a step in teh right direciton last night. Let's see if this is the beginning of good things or a fluke.

The real question - at least to me - is how patient the Flyers are willing to be to work with this guy. We are frustrated, so I am sure the Flyers are frustarted at least as much as we are, if not more. So it's relaly their decision. JVR took a step in teh right direciton last night. Let's see if this is the beginning of good things or a fluke.

The Flyers are paying Scott Hartnell $4.2M - on a contract signed when his career high in points was 48 and his career average if 45.

JVR is signed for $4.5M next season - and he's "on pace" for (career high) 50 points this season. If he hits 50, his career average in points (3 seasons) will be... 44.

I think the Flyers see a developing asset, improving year after year, and are expecting that JVR will replace Scott Hartnell both on the cap and on the ice before the end of his deal. I don't think they are "disappointed" as much as the fan base is.

It's a bit premature to forecast what he can/cannot be in this league....which is why it would be just such a damn shame to see that much talent completely wasted.

The real question - at least to me - is how patient the Flyers are willing to be to work with this guy.

I don't think it's "premature" at all and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a consistent level of energy from a guy who's paid (and paid extremely well, even comparatively speaking) to play sports at the professional level. Rookie year, 2nd and 3rd year, periods of adjustment after being traded - fine, everyone develops differently and depending on the position (and how the organization addresses it) some guys can take twice as long as others to fulfill their roles on their team.

With JVR I think his history speaks for itself, even at 22 years old. We're not talking about your average NHLer who came up through the OHL or the Q, or any junior league. JVR's history is fairly rare I guess in that he turned down a pro contract so he could skate college hockey for 2 more years. And what was his "M.O." during his college career? Disappearing in big games, an extremely streaky type of player and always the question of his commitment to the game hanging over his head. Fair or unfair that's how he's been perceived - according to everything I've read about him anyway - and the perception seems to fit. Yes he changed some minds about the "disappearing in big games" part last April. But since then? Looks like it's back to the same ol' same ol' for JVR.

He came to the Flyers and had an up-and-down rookie season, followed that up with another one that was just the same (how many times has he been benched for "lack of effort?") and now he's doing it all over again in his 3rd year. Meanwhile, over the summer as you pointed out we dumped 2 major cogs of our offense - say what you will about #17 he put up a lot of goals for us - and JVR was specifically asked (told) he would be counted on to produce. We're not in November anymore we're 40 games in and this is JVR's response to Lavy and to the Flyers' management?

So he was injured early this year right? And now...we're still wondering if he's injured. Not because the Flyers have said so but because he plays like a guy who's injured, like a guy who can't go 100%.

I think I'll use Rad's method and fill my half-empty cup with whiskey! Or tequila!

The Flyers are paying Scott Hartnell $4.2M - on a contract signed when his career high in points was 48 and his career average if 45.

JVR is signed for $4.5M next season - and he's "on pace" for (career high) 50 points this season. If he hits 50, his career average in points (3 seasons) will be... 44.

Sorry Rad but Hartnell and JVR are 2 completely different type of players and obviously 2 different personalities. Hartnell could have 1/2 the points he has right now and I'd still value his contribution night in night out. JVR may very well be "on pace" for 50 points but ... 50 points? From a guy who ran over the opposition for 2 weeks in the Buff series last April? From a guy who quite obviously has the natural ability to become a Bertuzzi-type forward, or a Vanek or a Zetterburg - but just doesn't put in the work to take the next steps.

I realize I don't know for sure if he's just not putting in the work. But damn - that's sure how it looks.

I don't think it's "premature" at all and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a consistent level of energy from a guy who's paid (and paid extremely well, even comparatively speaking) to play sports at the professional level. Rookie year, 2nd and 3rd year, periods of adjustment after being traded - fine, everyone develops differently and depending on the position (and how the organization addresses it) some guys can take twice as long as others to fulfill their roles on their team.

This is JVR's third year... he doesn't make the "big bucks" until next season (by "big bucks" I mean his new contract).

Improved every year so far...

I think I'll use Rad's method and fill my half-empty cup with whiskey! Or tequila!

Better have two. Just to make sure he first one doesn't get lonely.

Did anyone see JVR's post game interview? He did acknowledge his consistency issues and did say that he's actively working to improve. It's something you don't often see a pro-athlete own up to. He is aware of his performance so far and it sounds like he is actively trying to address it.