Game #30 - Flyers at Stars - Dec 11 2015 - 8:30 ET

brelic

Meltzer's write up: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121115--DAL/45/73167

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.007 (29th), Stars 3.50 (1st)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.69 (18th), Stars 2.64 (17th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 37/45, Stars 61/53
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.5% (25th), Stars 25.6% (2nd)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.0% (22nd), Stars 80.7 (16th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.8 (6th), Stars 32.0 (2nd)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.0 (29th), Stars 28.9 (12th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.5% (T-20th), Stars 50.8% (9th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 93 Jakub Voracek
20 R.J. Umberger - 21 Scott Laughton - 25 Ryan White

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas 
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

30 Michal Neuvirth / 35 Steve Mason

Scratches: Andrew MacDonald (healthy), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Sam Gagner (IR, concussion/laceration), Luke Schenn (left foot/ankle).

Stars

14 Jamie Benn – 91 Tyler Seguin – 43 Valeri Nichushkin
13 Mattias Janmark – 90 Jason Spezza – 18 Patrick Eaves
21 Antoine Roussel – 20 Cody Eakin – 10 Patrick Sharp
22 Colton Sceviour – 38 Vernon Fiddler – 83 Ales Hemsky

33 Alex Goligoski – 3 John Klingberg
47 Johnny Oduya – 4 Jason Demers
2 Jyrki Jokipakka – 24 Jordie Benn

31 Antti Niemi / 32 Kari Lehtonen

Scratches: Travis Moen (healthy), Patrik Nemeth (healthy), Jamie Oleksiak (healthy).

Should be a intersting game.  Stars are one of the high powered offenses in the league.  Should be a real challenge for the blue line.  Curious to see how Ghost does against the likes of a Segin and Benn.

RE: On Vinny being a healthy scratch ...AGAIN ------> just hang your skates up and retire in dignity......PLEASE!

I'm at the game. I'll go punch him for you!

I'm on the glass to Neuvirth right in 2nd period

He's on the opposite side. Wearing a beige sports jacket with a green t-shirt.

Looks like he's trying to show off for his date 

He's on the opposite side. Wearing a beige sports jacket with a green t-shirt.

Looks like he's trying to show off for his date

He looks like he escaped from a local psych ward. Go punch him AFF!

Schenn gets called on a bogus call when Niemi falls back to try and get to the puck, not because of the contact. Now they call Del Zotto for stopping a guy from getting to the rebound

what are these refs trying to do? 

i was thinking the game was being called pretty "tightly" ?  idk about half the calls against the Flyers tonight weren't called last night. the Simmonds call i saw was BS, as was the MDZ call, not sure about the Read penalty that was a bit of a lottery, i'm not a big "the refs suck " guy but tonight i see what those guys are talking about.

Howdy:

We played well but our lack of offense kept the team on its heels. I had the Dallas feed--very even handed in their assessment but couldn't pronounce Ghost's name.  Simmonds was not at the top of his game...kind of an embarrassment. Voracek's poor performance post-big contract got the attention of the D sportscast team. 

Sometimes a good offense is a good d. 

Howie

i was thinking the game was being called pretty "tightly" ? idk about half the calls against the Flyers tonight weren't called last night. the Simmonds call i saw was BS, as was the MDZ call, not sure about the Read penalty that was a bit of a lottery, i'm not a big "the refs suck " guy but tonight i see what those guys are talking about.

Agree with the Simmons call being BS. MDZ call was borderline. Two Flyers got hit with him sticks and Giroux got a forearm shiver to the head. All three were missed. Other than that I had no problem with the reffing.

Can we do a "3 worst flyers" segment after each loss or is that counterproductive? We can do a "3 best flyers" segment after a win too if you want.

I guess it's like the 3 stars of the game, only it would be the 3 duds of the game.

I only saw the first two periods before I saw that they were being dominated, and I was sleepy so I went to bed. So I wont participate this time but I did have some nominees from the first 2 periods.

Can we do a "3 worst flyers" segment after each loss or is that counterproductive? We can do a "3 best flyers" segment after a win too if you want.

I guess it's like the 3 stars of the game, only it would be the 3 duds of the game.

I only saw the first two periods before I saw that they were being dominated, and I was sleepy so I went to bed. So I wont participate this time but I did have some nominees from the first 2 periods.

Best Flyers:

1) Neuvirth

2) Neuvirth

3) Neuvirth

Worst Flyers:

1) All of them

The best thing that can be said about PHI's performance is they got run over by a stacked team. They were in the game for the better part of the 1st, and that's it. From the 2nd to the end, they were severely outplayed. It should have been 10-1 if not for an absolutely sick performance from Neuvirth.

Howdy:

We played well but our lack of offense kept the team on its heels. I had the Dallas feed--very even handed in their assessment but couldn't pronounce Ghost's name. Simmonds was not at the top of his game...kind of an embarrassment. Voracek's poor performance post-big contract got the attention of the D sportscast team.

Sometimes a good offense is a good d.

Howie

I had Dallas feed too. Yes they butchered ghost's name, but I probably would too. Hell, if it was me on live tv, I'd probably butcher the name Smith.

But I did not hear even assessment of the game from them (at least in the penalty department). Every flyer penalty was well deserved and every Dallas penalty (according the them there should not have been any) was ticky tack at best.

Now I don't like to complain about the refs, but I have not felt like the flyers got screwed on so many calls since the playoffs when the pens won the cup. (That was much worse by the way) Just a badly officiated game I tHought. (Not saying that a well officiated game would produce a different outcome either)

They did talk about G as a god though. I'll give them that.

Tough to rate the play of a team when they are playing short 6 times to 2 on the calls. Some of those calls were as embarrassing as the evil slash Carter laid on Malkenflopper........(See Kings/Pens for a good laugh...)

Best Flyers:

1) Neuvirth

2) Neuvirth

3) Neuvirth

Worst Flyers:

1) All of them

The best thing that can be said about PHI's performance is they got run over by a stacked team. They were in the game for the better part of the 1st, and that's it. From the 2nd to the end, they were severely outplayed. It should have been 10-1 if not for an absolutely sick performance from Neuvirth.

I'll agree with your top 3. Bottom three against the stars...yeah the whole team played like a team that is at a lower level. But compared to each other, who were the worst ones on the ice?

From the first two periods, I would say

1. Couturier

2. Simmonds

3. Umberger

Some might flip flop 1 and 2 but I thought simmonds was up on his skates and he was more involved. Umberger also had a rare burst of speed that got him a scoring chance.

Archived