The thing that really stings IMO

Samifan

post-60-0-05198600-1449939716_thumb.jpg

As a lifelong Flyers fan, for years we have heard, it’s the goalies fault, if the Flyers only had a goalie, all Flyers goalies are sieves, for the love of god stop the goalie carousel. In the past two seasons Mason and Neuvirth have played their asses off and the Flyers have little to show for it. Sucks!!

@Samifan

The thing that really stings is despite having the worse record in the NHL in 2007, the NHL institutes the draft lottery and then the Hawks win the lottery and pick Patrick Kane while the Flyers get JVR. 

I know you cannot cry over spilled milk and whats done is done, but oh how the NHL scene could look very different today had the Flyers drafted Kane instead of the Hawks. 

Do the Hawks still win all those cups without Kane?  My how a Hartnell /Giroux / Kane line would look like?  Just a few of the many interesting questions that arise had the Flyers selected Kane instead of JVR.

Valid point Doc no argument here. It just sucks seeing the Flyers have teams where goaltending is no longer an issue, but the team is now a bubble playoff team at best. Put either Mason or Neuvirth on that 2010 team and they beat the Hawks for the Cup.

Put either Mason or Neuvirth on that 2010 team and they beat the Hawks for the Cup.

absolutely agree!  I still have nightmares of Kane's shot going in from that ridiculous angle past Leaky Leighton. 

I know you cannot cry over spilled milk and whats done is done, but oh how the NHL scene could look very different today had the Flyers drafted Kane instead of the Hawks.

Nah.....Kane would not have made it one season here in philly with his partying record..........

Though I dont disagree with you, I dont think we have a #1 goaltender now. The backup is playing better than the #1. What do you think Hakstal thinks of Mason when he puts Neuvy in both games of a back to back when Mason is healthy?

Nah.....Kane would not have made it one season here in philly with his partying record..........

Although a Kane vs Richards partying competition may have been fun to witness or read about!  :cool[1]:

@Samifan

The thing that really stings is despite having the worse record in the NHL in 2007, the NHL institutes the draft lottery and then the Hawks win the lottery and pick Patrick Kane while the Flyers get JVR. 

Do the Hawks still win all those cups without Kane?  My how a Hartnell /Giroux / Kane line would look like?  Just a few of the many interesting questions that arise had the Flyers selected Kane instead of JVR.

There has been an NHL draft lottery since 1995.

I wasn't designed the screw the Flyers.

@Samifan

I have to rank that as probably just below the 4 game sweep against Detroit '97 disappointment. It's that disappointing to me and it still really stings. Had we got Kane, EVERYTHING would have been different. I believe we would have won the cup in 2010. 

The flip side of the Kane argument is that the "party boy" joining the Olde City Krewe might not have turned out to be the same player.

Alternatively, knowing his rep might have convinced the Flyers to crack down harder, earlier on the OCK.

Alas, we'll never know. But at least we have Luke Schenn. :ph34r:

Ya, having Kane here to join Richards, Carter, and the rest of the OCC would have probably been even worse.

However, It's not like the Flyers are the only team in the league that has a party group.

There has been an NHL draft lottery since 1995.

I wasn't designed the screw the Flyers.

never implied it was meant to screw the Flyers...just the one year that the Flyers sucked enough to get the 1st pick, they lose out on the lottery.  Sorry if I was not clear.

The flip side of the Kane argument is that the "party boy" joining the Olde City Krewe might not have turned out to be the same player.

Yes having a Captain and the best player in hockey today (INHO) to lean or and learn from in Toews doesn't hurt either. I was a huge Richie fan but he can't hold a candle to Toews.

Archived